• Hey Guest, don't forget to VOTE on each RFC topic. Your voting determine Chevereto development! No votes, no development.
  • Welcome to the Chevereto user community!

Here users from all over the world gather around to learn the latest about Chevereto and contribute with ideas to improve the software.

Please keep in mind:

• 😌 This community is user driven. Be polite with other users.
    • 👉 Is required to purchase a Chevereto license to participate in this community (doesn't apply to Pre-sales).
    • 💸 Purchase a Pro Subscription to get access to active software support and faster ticket response times.

Strip EXIF but fix orientation

Hujasmaa

Chevereto Member
This suggestion is related to another thread about image rotation.

On our image site are mainly pictures of hobby vintage machines, tractors, cars, motorcycles, etc. We know an incident where some equipment was stolen from boat, because it's location could have been spied out from EXIF info of the image. For that reason i have set all the exif info to be stripped off. However, that causes some images to be loaded sideways, because Chevereto misses the exif info of right rotation.

Therefore I request a simple option to strip off just GPS location exif of the image. I'd like to have that function to be added in the near future, if humanly possible.

Thanks in advance!

This suggestion is related to another thread about image rotation.

On our image site are mainly pictures of hobby vintage machines, tractors, cars, motorcycles, etc. We know an incident where some equipment was stolen from boat, because it's location could have been spied out from EXIF info of the image. For that reason i have set all the exif info to be stripped off. However, that causes some images to be loaded sideways, because Chevereto misses the exif info of right rotation.

Therefore I request a simple option to strip off just GPS location exif of the image. I'd like to have that function to be added in the near future, if humanly possible.

Thanks in advance!

EXIF data is only available to the person who uploaded the image and the administrators.

So, unless the person who took / uploaded the photo has committed the crime, it has unlikely come from your site.

If the person was the uploader but didn't own/take the image originally, it still means they already had the image, therefore already had the EXIF data in possession before it hit your site.

EDIT: I may be talking out of my ar$e here. I only did some research on images that had no EXIF data in the first place, so probably best ignore the above. Unless of course what I said turns out to be true, then you can congratulate me on my diligence in spotting it :D

Last edited:
EXIF data is only available to the person who uploaded the image and the administrators.

It is available to everybody because the EXIF info is in the image itself (file).

I understand this request, is because if you strip exif the system won't fix the image orientation and you get images sideways, I will do this orientation fix before stripping the exif data.

That theft, which has happened has nothing to do with my Chevereto installation. It was another image host with some other script. Anyway it raised awareness of the GPS Exif among the community of these enthusiasts.

Just to be absolutely sure I have set the Exif info to be stripped off. I hope Rodolfo will educate me if whether this choice is necessary or not.

EDIT: Thanks, Rodolfo!

Last edited:
It is available to everybody because the EXIF info is in the image itself (file).

I understand this request, is because if you strip exif the system won't fix the image orientation and you get images sideways, I will do this orientation fix before stripping the exif data.

haha, yes, I realised that, hence the edit at the bottom of my earlier post.

/me goes off to feel really dumb in a corner somewhere

Back