• Welcome to the Chevereto user community!

Here users from all over the world gather around to learn the latest about Chevereto and contribute with ideas to improve the software.

Please keep in mind:

• 😌 This community is user driven. Be polite with other users.
    • 👉 Is required to purchase a Chevereto license to participate in this community (doesn't apply to Pre-sales).
    • 💸 Purchase a Pro Subscription to get access to active software support and faster ticket response times.

Parse error

Status
Not open for further replies.

matthewcares

Chevereto Member
I bought Chevereto I am very new to this and I really need some help here I have a hosting site my php setup is 5.5 I have uploaded the zip file to my server unpack it into folder I called the install and I just get this error

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '[', expecting ')' in /home/content/18/12076118/html/show/chevereto/app/loader.php on line 113

what am I doing wrong and how to get my photo site up thank you

That appears when you are running PHP < 5.4. Double-check your server settings.

my PhP server is 5.5 and when I uploaded my zip file and extracted in my folder it has for example show/chevereto/chevereto so show folder is where I extracted it chevereto folder has another folder called chevereto is this normal for extracting?

Impossible that the server is running PHP 5.4+ if you get that parse error. And MySQL version is not the same as PHP version.

The requirements are shown in several pages, for example: https://chevereto.com/features (bottom). A host that doesn't support PHP 5.4 in 2014 (well, 2015) is not something ok. Today PHP 5.4 is an standard and every host should support it.

if I update my PHP to 5.4 will this cause problems for my other DB in my MySQL?
I don't think so. PHP version only affects the website functions, not the database. You can also install several PHP versions and use server rules (for example .htaccess) to tell the system which PHP version to use. And regarding PHP 5.3 and 5.4 I haven't saw any issue with scripts that requires PHP 5.3 using PHP 5.4

I have setup the site everything is great, but I have one problem I tried to setup a test account setup and the verifying email does not send to my email, I check junk mail, waited 15 minutes before try to send one again, I have setup a web hosting email for the area of my site called (contact us) and I tested that and it works, but my biggest problem is that member will not be able to log in because the verifying email does not get sent to them.

Check the email settings at Dashboard > Settings > Email. Most likely you need to use SMTP or if you are already using the emails are being delayed.

I used setting PHP mail function I have a mail hosting with my host, what mail service can I use to setup SMTP? Another thing is that I changed the default emails that were in settings at dashboard>settings>email FROM EMAIL ADDRESS and INCOMING EMAIL ADDRESS would that effect my email service? and if it would what are the default emails for that ?

No, change the address shouldn't affect unless is not an address allowed by the domain. To be honest PHP mail() function rely in how good/bad is sendmail configured in your server, is almost usual that the thing works fine for testing and to send emails in the same domain, but when you start to send more emails it trends to fail. Is not reliable at all.

Regarding SMTP you can use even your own server because it should have SMTP enabled, just create a new email mailbox and use that username/password combo in the SMTP settings at Chevereto. You will need to provide the SMTP server address, port, etc. That data should be present somewhere in your hosting documentation.

You can also use external SMTP providers like mandrillapp which is free for the first 12,000 emails each month.

Finally, make sure to use this tool: http://www.mail-tester.com/ to tell whatever the thing is working and not being labeled as spam. For instance, try to create an user using a testmail address and it will tell you a delivery score and how you can configure the thing to be 10/10.

Maybe the ports are blocked in your server. You should tell your host that email is not working as expected.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back