• Welcome to the Chevereto user community!

Here users from all over the world gather around to learn the latest about Chevereto and contribute with ideas to improve the software.

Please keep in mind:

• 😌 This community is user driven. Be polite with other users.
    • 👉 Is required to purchase a Chevereto license to participate in this community (doesn't apply to Pre-sales).
    • 💸 Purchase a Pro Subscription to get access to active software support and faster ticket response times.

Generate thumbnail

dfmcvn

Chevereto Member
I'm trying Chevereto Free and I'm impressed with the speed. But I saw this script generate a lots of thumbnail in images/ folder.

Is the Core version have the ability to generate thumbnail by PHP API or something like this?
I would be happy to upgrade if that feature exists, that would save much of disk space.

Thank you.

Hi @dfmcvn, thank you for using the software.

Thumbs are always generated, it is a remaining of the old way to do web. When the current version was created it wasn't trivial to get an image server for serving resized versions of a given image, so the system generates a static version.

The paid version works exactly the same in this regard, but it provides support for external storage.

To be honest, I don't think that the storage used by thumbs will be the issue because to get that issue you need a huge number of images, which will require several orders of magnitude more of storage space than the required by thumbs.

Hello,

yes, I see the size of these thumbnail is just about ~10KB, that is not a big problem.
But currently I'm using Chevereto as a "backup solution" of my photos. I just uploaded ~10k images (9223) and I see ~27k files include these thumbnails.

[CODE lang="bash" title="count number of files in chev's directory" highlight="3"]
[root@xxx home]# cd /home/xxx.xxx/public_html/images/2020/
[root@xxx 2020]# find . -type f | wc -l
[root@xxx 2020]#[/CODE]

Do you think this will degrade disk's performance (local)? I know this is not a problem if I use `external storage` like S3.

Thank you.

In all these years I can't remember anyone having a real issue with these thumb files. In any case, the answer depends on the filesystem being used.

For ext4 you can allocate 4 billion files.

Like I said, I doubt it will be an issue ;)

Back