• Welcome to the Chevereto user community!

Here users from all over the world gather around to learn the latest about Chevereto and contribute with ideas to improve the software.

Please keep in mind:

• 😌 This community is user driven. Be polite with other users.
    • 👉 Is required to purchase a Chevereto license to participate in this community (doesn't apply to Pre-sales).
    • 💸 Purchase a Pro Subscription to get access to active software support and faster ticket response times.

feature photos on my home NAS?

Richmilnix

Chevereto Noob
My goal is to keep all 20,000 of my image files on the NAS here in my office, and have a public-facing install that can crawl and index them (mostly snapshots for my family, a few odds & ends).

I've installed Chevereto and like its interface but I think it will insist that I manually upload all the images through its GUI, WHICH IS NO GOOD FOR ME (IN PART B/C i WANT TO ORGANIZE AND ACCESS THE IMAGE sorry files on my LAN.

Can Chevereto be adapted to work in this way? If not, do you have suggestions for another self-hosted solution that can?

(An acceptable other solution is an interface that lives entirely on a computer here in my house, but I'd prefer to keep the web traffic and database mangement out at a paid host that thinks more about security than I do.)

Chevereto works importing content. Although the paid edition includes an automatic importer, it work as an importer, not a sync. Is not that you can plug a drive with pictures and Chevereto will automatically crawl its contents to display that in the form of a website presentation. Chevereto actually needs to import the images, and in the case of the paid edition, distribute it to external storages.

What you need is a file sync tool, with support for turning a directory into a gallery. I guess that you should try with Nextcloud?

I believe that syncing local dirs sounds extremely convenient for bulk content managing, and specially to don't bound the content to any given software which I believe is a nice have. However, with the current code base this is impossible at it requires a ton of background processing that V3 just don't know how to handle.

Thanks for the reply. I'll keep sniffing around.

For managing music, I've found that I really like having Subsonic installed - which indexes my files, serves them up wile I'm out of the house, but leaves them on a hard drive where I can get my hands on 'em when I want to. Now that I'm breaking up with Flickr, I'm hoping to mirror that workflow with images.

Sure, it is a great way to feed content to the system. Is just that V3 was framed by the limited availability of servers back then in 2014, I hope that V4 will allow me to achieve this kind of stuff in a breeze.

@Rodolfo

Is there any plan for this in v4? I bought the license thinking that's what "bulk" import meant = I can just place images in /var/www/html/images and they appear in Chevereto?

I am mistaken it seems, but no worries :)

Just to explain what I was trying to do.
I have adapted Chevereto docker image to bind mount host machine images directory at /var/www/html/images. If I enter docker container and check, all images from host are in /var/www/html/images, but Chevereto does not appear to know they exist.

@oneill

What you are describing is a sync system, which is not the same as the intended use for which I created Chevereto. Due to V4 application structure, a file sync tool could be delivered as a stand-alone system interacting with the API. So the Chevereto API does all the image management, optimizing, whatever, and the sync tool just orchestrate the interaction between systems.

What I just described could allow us to have multiple sync setups, like sync your mobile photos, a folder from your computer. Some cameras even have wi-fi built-in right?, I guess we could also API that.

You see, when designing systems you want to do more with less and sync tools/protocols are very well known. The wisest move here is to make something able to talk with anything, so the framing isn't even a thing.

@oneill

What you are describing is a sync system, which is not the same as the intended use for which I created Chevereto. Due to V4 application structure, a file sync tool could be delivered as a stand-alone system interacting with the API. So the Chevereto API does all the image management, optimizing, whatever, and the sync tool just orchestrate the interaction between systems.

What I just described could allow us to have multiple sync setups, like sync your mobile photos, a folder from your computer. Some cameras even have wi-fi built-in right?, I guess we could also API that.

You see, when designing systems you want to do more with less and sync tools/protocols are very well known. The wisest move here is to make something able to talk with anything, so the framing isn't even a thing.

I'm not sure if sync is accurate to what i mean here? Docker is handling "sync" between the container and host system, but Chevereto is blind to this as it only knows about its docker space. As far as Chevereto knows, /var/www/html/images is its local image directory.

I'm not trying to keep photos in sync in multiple places via Chevereto, but auto import/process photos that exist in the Chevereto image directory.

Screen Shot 2020-08-08 at 4.08.15 PM.png

2004-2019 are my image directories containing all of my pictures. I manually uploaded a photo via the Chevereto Gui, and it was placed inside of this existing /var/www/html/images/2020 directory

Screen Shot 2020-08-08 at 4.12.04 PM.png

Looking at what happens here though, I see that you maybe mean sync local chevereto images to local chevereto database?

None of my other pictures have been processed by Chevereto, so they are not in this .jpg .th.jpg format. So my thinking is that the behavior would be, can I can copy an image that has already been processed in this layout and see two of the same photos? Just for hacky test.

Screen Shot 2020-08-08 at 4.25.19 PM.png

But no, this thinking is not right. I am not seeing hal2 from Chevereto front end.

Could something like a watcher that keeps eye on /var/www/html/images for changes -> If unprocessed image -> auto pipe unprocessed files to
https://github.com/Chevereto/Chever...f2a3a74456ae/app/lib/classes/class.upload.php work as a processing mechanism?

Currently the system supports what you referred as "I can just place images in /var/www/html/images and they appear in Chevereto?" and is known as automatic importing. In the other hand, sync is the artifact that could bound the contents of a given filesystem into the Chevereto database.

Importing is not the same as sync, as the sync is aware of the changes in the source filesystem (if you remove a file from the filesystem the change is reflected in the database).

Currently the system supports what you referred as "I can just place images in /var/www/html/images and they appear in Chevereto?" and is known as automatic importing. In the other hand, sync is the artifact that could bound the contents of a given filesystem into the Chevereto database.

Importing is not the same as sync, as the sync is aware of the changes in the source filesystem (if you remove a file from the filesystem the change is reflected in the database).

Ah thank you, I was missing the import directory VS images. Sorry to bother you, I saw your blog post about how you're drowning in help requests, I always hate to add to that burden ;)

Thinking about sync, I don't think I would want to sync images to Chevereto anyway. I would like to keep my original files as well as the Chevereto processed ones. I know that's a lot of data, but if it got to where I was so messy that I needed sync, I'd be more inclined to just wipe my import directory and re-import the images based off of my existing raw images.

I've been trying to find a good self hosted image project for some time. I tried Photoprism and a few others, but Chevereto has by far been my favorite. It looks so nice and seems very fast. So thank you very much for all of your hard work. Hopefully I'll hang around the community and try to learn some php, maybe I can help out. I'm much better with network and server configurations, my php foo has mostly revolved around breaking wordpress sites.

Back