• Welcome to the Chevereto user community!

Here users from all over the world gather around to learn the latest about Chevereto and contribute with ideas to improve the software.

Please keep in mind:

• 😌 This community is user driven. Be polite with other users.
    • 👉 Is required to purchase a Chevereto license to participate in this community (doesn't apply to Pre-sales).
    • 💸 Purchase a Pro Subscription to get access to active software support and faster ticket response times.

Bulk image importer (admin)

Rodolfo

⭐ Chevereto Godlike
Chevereto Staff
Administrator
Bulk image importer has already being suggested before (here, here and finally here) but it never got added because it didn't got enough support. Maybe it was because it was never understood how powerful a bulk image importer could be. So I was thinking about it as a tool to easily populate content, which is something that you need when you are starting your website or maybe a little help to get things moving before the website goes all organic and you get those million images uploaded like several Chevereto websites out there.

Before actually add this to the system, I will disclose how I want to build it so if anyone wants to support the idea or improve it go ahead and let me know.

1. Incoming folder
Basically this is based in an /incoming folder where you drop the images you want to import. How you populate this folder is up to you (FTP, rsync, etc.) and this folder is structured in categories as sub-folders so if you have images in the /incoming/girls folder, the importer will push those images to that category.

2. Import parameters (dashboard)
The idea is to control absolutely everything about the import process. You can configure how many images will be pushed daily and in which frequency. This allows you to get a more "human" content population. You won't want 100,000 images pushed in one hour isn't?. You can also assign which users will be associated with these images so you can tell the thing to push the images to a randomized bunch of users for a even more human touch.

3. Queue handling
At last, the system process these imports in the same way it deals with the image deletes so it hooks in the current system. You can also manually trigger the import process if you want to get the import done manually.

Since Chevereto reads info from the Exif data, the system will even take advantage of all that to fill the content being imported. Descriptions and titles will be there. Fast, easy and effortless content population.

The idea is to fill several gaps like:
  • Import thousand images to Chevereto from existing sources
  • Help slow action websites
  • Grant a minimum visible daily activity (avoid zero movement days)
I believe that it could work great in the way I've detailed it. Let me know what you think and maybe add things that I didn't noticed.

Cheers,
Rodolfo.

Will this allow us to push images from one storage medium to the other? I'd like to move all images from Server A to Server B which is amazon.

No, is intended to import content. What you are saying is related to manage storage.

This is actually a great idea. I would really want this idea to move to the next phase.
Personally, I have to uploads lots of images from various accounts to make the website look busy since it is only 2 months old. It is really boring and tedious work, needs lots of time investment. It will be great if we could automate it.

This is actually a great idea. I would really want this idea to move to the next phase.
Personally, I have to uploads lots of images from various accounts to make the website look busy since it is only 2 months old. It is really boring and tedious work, needs lots of time investment. It will be great if we could automate it.

Sure, that is one of the several things that you can do with the importer and best thing is that it will look real so we are talking about trimming down a lot the kick start process of your website, which is always a process that requires a lot of time.

This is a great feature Chevereto had missed.

Not to get ahead of ourself, but can we improve this to a full site migration feature? I mean if I buy a Chevereto site can I use something like this to import tool to import all images plus the user database. Also redirect image links from Domain A to domain B without breaking it?

No, user database is something totally different and that you can do yourself by simple MySQL queries.

As everything that says "accepted" I'm up to add it, but I don't have an idea when.

It would be cool to have an option of importing subfolders not as categories but as albums. E.g. I have user AAA and put ten folders (named 1 to 10) into incoming and when the system uploads it all there are ten albums created under AAA user. Do you think it's possible?

I would love this! Especially if I can say these "1000" images I would like to upload to X's account. I had to change people's passwords and manually upload a thousand photos because they had lousy internet connections and wanted off PB.

Love this to be included in core.

As of now uploading and assigning it to an account can be done using api and cron.

Back