• Welcome to the Chevereto user community!

Here users from all over the world gather around to learn the latest about Chevereto and contribute with ideas to improve the software.

Please keep in mind:

• 😌 This community is user driven. Be polite with other users.
    • 👉 Is required to purchase a Chevereto license to participate in this community (doesn't apply to Pre-sales).
    • 💸 Purchase a Pro Subscription to get access to active software support and faster ticket response times.

A few pre-sale questions please

Is a paid membership using Chevereto important to you?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

travelinks

Chevereto Noob
Pre-sale questions:

There is so much interesting information available on this website that I must apologise if these questions seem mundane. I am asking because it’s imperative that I understand fully how Chevereto works before purchasing. I realize how busy Rodolfo is, so I would appreciate help from any forum member who can provide me with answers.

1.) I assume (and I’m old enough to know better) that the download comes with a readme file and an install folder which is ftp’d to the root of the domain on my server. Once read/write settings have been made (if required), I would go to the website/install and follow instructions. I understand I will need a database.

2.) I will be purchasing a Network license which is multi-domain. Therefore, this script should work for as many sub-domains as I need. (ex.) xxx.travelinks.canada.ca, xxx.travelinks.usa.ca, etc.

3.) If I’m correct, the Chevereto script uses a proprietary core file system which is overwritten by update files when the update folder is ftp’d to the root server folder. By way of example, I use OpenCart which uses a core filing system, and developers provide add-on’s using vqmod. (vQmod (virtual file modification system) is a powerful system designed to help developers when they have to edit system core files. The vQmod, by its nature, help you alter source files without actually editing them. All changes are saved in a temporary file which is substituted for the original during execution.

The question: If I am using Chevereto version 3.5.20 installed to the root folder on a VPS that hosts my domain and many sub-domains, will a Chevereto upgrade version 3.5.21 update all folders and files within the domain and subsequent sub-domains automatically?

4.) I am going to require a modification to the registration system to accommodate a user fee of some sort. Is this modification going to break the core files in some way?

5.) Purchasing the Network script means I get a domain (of what kind?) on Arvixe to use as I wish?

6.) And then I can also upload the script to my VPS to run my domain and sub-domains?

Thank you all for your patience.

1) Yes
2) Yes
3) Chevereto doesn't have an extension system like that. If you update any files, there's a chance that they will be overwritten when Rodolfo changes the scripts. For example, Let's say I edit "image.php" to add my own code, Rodolfo realises there's an error in "image.php" so he makes a change. In the next release, it means I have to then update "index.php", which means overwriting the file. I, personally, as a developer, have a note of files I've changed myself. I use version control and winmerge to help merge files.
4) You can modify the files all you like, but as mentioned above, if Rodolfo updates the registration system, you need to manually add the new changes to your registration files.
5) I think you only get a domain if you purchase via Arvixe.
6) So far, there is no automatic update. You need to update your files manually. An automatic file updater would cause any of your changes to be overwritten, because there are very little "hook" files. You can add custom functions and such, but that's about it.

Hi,

1. The short answer is yes but that obviously depends on server requirements. More information can be found here: https://chevereto.com/docs/install
2. Sure, it grants you permission to run in in xx.mydomain.com or myanotherdomain.com or xx.yetanotherdomain.com
3. There isn't automatic update and each update must be done manually uploading all the needed files. If your installation is bind to lets say 10 domains using the same files then is just one update procedure but if you have 10 separated installs then there are 10 separated updates needed, one by installation.
4. The system has built in methods which allows overwriting of the core routes. For example you can fork the default route.signup.php to fit your needs and it will depend on how you customize the thing to have the minimum impact on the core. In some cases the impact is minimum and in other cases the impact is large and that always triggers issues.
5. By default the licenses comes as is but the Network bundle comes with Network license + 1 year of hosting + domain + auto-installation.
6. Sure, no need to purchase any extra or license domain extension. You can install it as many times you want in the domains that you own.

Hope it helps.

Thank you very much for your quick response Rodolfo. The feature requests and your tireless effort to bring them on line in a timely and orderly manner is encouraging.

Cheers

Dave

Back