• Welcome to the Chevereto user community!

Here users from all over the world gather around to learn the latest about Chevereto and contribute with ideas to improve the software.

Please keep in mind:

• 😌 This community is user driven. Be polite with other users.
    • 👉 Is required to purchase a Chevereto license to participate in this community (doesn't apply to Pre-sales).
    • 💸 Purchase a Pro Subscription to get access to active software support and faster ticket response times.

Violation of license GNU/GPL!

stop-acta

Chevereto Noob
Hi
Why does the product chevereto worth $30 a uploadify (http://www.uploadify.com/) components used in the script, distribute licensed under the GNU/GPL?
This is a strict violation of the rules, if you do not remove all components of the free software from their product, I will be forced to sue for breach of license GNU/GPL!

Stop-Acta... Im sorry, but you are wrong.

Uploadify 3.X is under the GPL Licence, but chevereto is using the 2.1.4 version, which is not under GNU/GPL.

Here is the 2.1.4 licence :

PHP:
/*
Uploadify v2.1.4
Release Date: November 8, 2010

Copyright (c) 2010 Ronnie Garcia, Travis Nickels

Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining a copy
of this software and associated documentation files (the "Software"), to deal
in the Software without restriction, including without limitation the rights
to use, copy, modify, merge, publish, distribute, sublicense, and/or sell
copies of the Software, and to permit persons to whom the Software is
furnished to do so, subject to the following conditions:

The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be included in
all copies or substantial portions of the Software.

THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR
IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY,
FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE
AUTHORS OR COPYRIGHT HOLDERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER
LIABILITY, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM,
OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS IN
THE SOFTWARE.
*/

Danny.Domb said:
Stop-Acta... Im sorry, but you are wrong.

Uploadify 3.X is under the GPL Licence, but chevereto is using the 2.1.4 version, which is not under GNU/GPL.

Well said.

Uploadify has always been under the MIT license (both 2.X and 3.X) pretty much likely to jquery for instance.
But don't worry, I will make a pure ajax uploader when PHP 5.4 becomes the defacto standard. Uploadify has been the cause of many problems and limitations on Chevereto and I will love to make my own uploader.

I said to the GNU community about what you have violated the license, and you will be required to pay a fine for violation!

stop-acta said:
I said to the GNU community about what you have violated the license, and you will be required to pay a fine for violation!

One more time...

Both 2.1.4 and 3.0 beta are under MIT license. MIT license is almost public domain, it's complete different to GPL. To put it clear: THEY ARE DIFFERENT TYPES OF LICENSES! MIT license doesn't have the restriction that you are claiming and that's why plugins and things like that use this license because it doesn't mean a conflict with your actual license.

All those GPL, BSD, MIT, etc are just templates. There is no group or lawyers that will help you just because of that. it's more effective a plain copyright <insert name> with your rules than this templates (just to keep you informed on how the real world works)

I hope that you can read and understand this time.

Back