• Welcome to the Chevereto user community!

Here users from all over the world gather around to learn the latest about Chevereto and contribute with ideas to improve the software.

Please keep in mind:

• 😌 This community is user driven. Be polite with other users.
    • 👉 Is required to purchase a Chevereto license to participate in this community (doesn't apply to Pre-sales).
    • 💸 Purchase a Pro Subscription to get access to active software support and faster ticket response times.

Use for client viewing

Floyd R Turbo

Chevereto Member
I have multiple needs for this, and I'm wondering if I can handle this all under one license or if I might need two. Also, I am wondering if it can handle need #1.

Need #1 is related to my company/job. We do forensic investigations and have a strict process in place for chain of custody when it comes to photos, we still take some on film and the negatives are the official record, whereas with digital they are SD card burned directly to archival gold CD/DVD then both are stored in the file, and then copied to the server where they are resized.

What I wish to do is place these on a Chevereto installation on our server (we use a VPS that I maintain so I have really no storage limit) and then make these accessible to internal staff via user accounts, that part is easy. The next part is where I would like to make these pics viewable by the clients (which are lawyers, insurance agents/adjusters, or the client themselves in some cases) and it seems like I would be able to do this but it would be rather manual, and on an album-by-album basis perhaps. Is this the case? Would I be able to assign viewing access to specific users to only specific albums, and how easy is this to do?

Need #2 is more of the standard need to just replace the similar function of other image hosting options like Photoschmucket. Pretty straight forward.

The question is then, do I need 2 separate installations of Chevereto if I want to maintain a separation of those, in terms of the URL basis? Meaning, if I wanted Need #1 hosted on www.mybusiness.com (so the login, URLs, etc would all be via that) and then Need #2 under www.mypersonalstuff.com, but both of those physically residing on one server (or rather on one site within the same VPS that both are hosted on) is this possible? I'm guessing no, but hey you never know until you ask

Thanks, looking forward to purchasing

You can set privacy options (albums) to Anyone (public), Private (Anyone with the link), Private (only you) and Private (password protected). There's no peer user permission, you will have to use passwords.

You can run multiple instances on the same server or different servers it doesn't matter, depends on your license. Core license only allows you one active domain at the same time while Network license allows you all the domains you want, I believe that Network will suit better to you if you want to use different domains.

Hope it helps.

P.S. You can run multiple instances using Core license, but same domain only (sub-domains are OK).

You can set privacy options (albums) to Anyone (public), Private (Anyone with the link), Private (only you) and Private (password protected). There's no peer user permission, you will have to use passwords.
It sounds like if I have one company user account that is used to upload pics for each job into individual albums, anyone within the company should be able to see any of those as long as they have the company account username/password.

Then, I would be able to make all albums private so that non-users (clients) would not be able to see them. Clarification: if I password protect a certain album, can a non-user with the link and that password still access it?

can a non-user with the link and that password still access it?
Sure it can because the password is just the key that grants you access to that content. Private albums won't get listed, you must know both URL and password to access to that content.

If you want to make something really private then don't mix stuff, just spawn new websites for each brand and each one of them will have their own custom privacy settings, signup policy, etc.

Ok thanks. I just wanted to make sure I understood it correctly, is this right?

Private (unlisted), accessible with link
Private (unlisted), accessible with link and password
Private (totally invisible), accessible only when logged into the album owner's account

I can't see there being a reason to have a password on the last one, since you need the username/password to even see it...you wouldn't need another password layer.

True, you don't need a password in that case because you will disable singup and anyone with access is just a brand member. Password will add another privacy layer, that's all.

Back