• Welcome to the Chevereto user community!

Here users from all over the world gather around to learn the latest about Chevereto and contribute with ideas to improve the software.

Please keep in mind:

• 😌 This community is user driven. Be polite with other users.
    • 👉 Is required to purchase a Chevereto license to participate in this community (doesn't apply to Pre-sales).
    • 💸 Purchase a Pro Subscription to get access to active software support and faster ticket response times.

Uploading from iPhone with Apps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Uploading from a browser is impossible with an iPhone. Safari do not have the access to view the files stored on the phone.
For this reason, you will need an app.

Danny.Domb said:
Uploading from a browser is impossible with an iPhone. Safari do not have the access to view the files stored on the phone.
For this reason, you will need an app.
Yes, exactly. Which is why I provided links to 3 apps that do the uploading and can be configured to your own server.

Mmm you can do a var translator.

Code:
Aurigma Up sends photos and videos using standard HTTP POST request as described in RFC 1867. You can easily process such request using any modern server platform - PHP, ASP.NET, JSP, Ruby-on-rails, and whatever else.

So, they send variables to you, you take the variables that Chevereto will need to use (look the api source code) and translate those into Chevereto vars... like:

Code:
$upload = $_POST["AurigmaThing"]

Just as an example

Yeah, using Aurigma Up!, I've gotten it to upload fine combining it with the tutorial posted here. Problem is getting it to redirect to the uploaded image. Then I'll have to iron it all out.

But it IS possible to work nicely.

You have to change the Chevereto api response into whatever Aurigma needs.

I believe that I could implement this one and make it will feel to you just like a function out of the box. I've been reading this again and I notice that is easy to do.. Obvious that I need to do the workarounds but it can be made.
Things is that I will see the way to make it work without api public access, auto setup (app) and auto device detection.

What you think?

Well, bad news. Aurigma uploader has several pitfalls like that it uses the file original name to store the files, it can't customize the POST variables, etc.
I will try with Picup...

hmm I've play around with Picup and it works but is pretty awkward. I must admit that is better than aurigma but still it has many leaks:
  1. You can customize the callback url but the data is returned using a hash, this means that the handling need js to be done. This is not actually a problem, but is slower than using a pure PHP callback because you need to load the site then handle the return with js.
  2. You need to visit the website everytime (Safari) and click on "upload image" to do the process. Eventually you can add this picup link to the favs or do a home screen page for that but it will mean one step to fire the browser, second step to select the file, third step to do the callback, four step to deliver the actual image response... Is not smooth, many windows opening... not cool.
  3. The uploaded images doesn't have image info telling you the image url, the file info, etc... So you will end up using your browser for this.
  4. The app only works for iPhone, on my ipad it renders like a iphone app (it sucks). Doesn't work on android (but android guys don't need this, they have flash remember?)
  5. It doesn't handle failure. If the image don't get uploaded it can't tell that. This means that the error responses will work 50%, the app will say "it's up!" and the system will say "meh".
  6. Want to upload multiple images? Forget it. For each image you will need a single instance process all over again.
This alternatives aren't good enough. They do the job but I really don't like it, it should be something similar to tapatalk and work by using APIs not this prehistoric methods.

I know that some people will still want this alternative but trust me... Is rubbish, I've upload 2 images and I'm done with this, I won't use it anymore is totally awkward. I will keep searching around for a better alternative, perhaps I can make my own iOS app with blackjack and hookers.

Update: iOS 6 will feature file uploads from web forms, so this is request is dropped.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back