• Welcome to the Chevereto user community!

Here users from all over the world gather around to learn the latest about Chevereto and contribute with ideas to improve the software.

Please keep in mind:

• 😌 This community is user driven. Be polite with other users.
    • 👉 Is required to purchase a Chevereto license to participate in this community (doesn't apply to Pre-sales).
    • 💸 Purchase a Pro Subscription to get access to active software support and faster ticket response times.
  • Chevereto Support CLST

Support response

Support checklist

• ⚠️ Got a Something went wrong message? Read this guide and provide the actual error. Do not skip this.
    • ✅ Confirm that the server meets the System Requirements
    • 🔥 Check for any available Hotfix - your issue could be already reported/fixed
    • 📚 Read documentation - It will be required to Debug and understand Errors for a faster support response

Upgrading to v4 from v3.20.20

Mortgage

Chevereto Member
Howdy!

I've had an active v4 license since 2021. However, I've never got around to updating my site from v3 to v4.x.

I'm currently running v3.20.20 is there any known issues or steps I should take (other than backup of course) before I update to v4 from v3.20.20?

Is it as simple as downloading v4 files and uploading them via SFTP overwriting any existing files when promoted like I have done in the past when updating v3.x?

Ideally, I'd like to just delete all public_html files from v3 (to remove old files, unused files bit like having a tidy up etc) upload v4 files and use my v3 database but not sure if this is possible?

Thanks!

The directions for upgrading are in the upgrade section of the official documentation. Follow those steps and you'll be all set.

Hi, yes I'm aware of these steps and upgrade guide! However, I'm wondering about deleting all v3.20.20 and upload the latest v4.x if it'd still work? As everything is in the database, right? Not files so as long as I edit the v4 config to use the same database will it just "work" or?

Reason I ask is because v4 doesn't use a lot of the files my v3 installation used. Basically I want a v4 installation of files/data but using v3 data (db?)

Chevereto is portable so yes, long as you keep the content (files) and database you can plug and play it.

Note that the content is at /images and also at /content (for assets). Pages also should be backed up.

Chevereto is portable so yes, long as you keep the content (files) and database you can plug and play it.

Note that the content is at /images and also at /content (for assets). Pages also should be backed up.
Nice one, thanks!

Upgrade 1 failed and /update emptied my db and forced a fresh install and not use existing db? Weird. Despite me setting it in /app/env.php restoring backup and we try again!

Last edited:
I'm curious as to why you would want to deviate from the official upgrade guide? Is there a specific reason you want to delete your current installation files before upgrading?

I'm curious as to why you would want to deviate from the official upgrade guide? Is there a specific reason you want to delete your current installation files before upgrading?
Hey!

No official reason, technically I’m still following the guide and doing those steps. However, my installation likely has unnecessary data and files left from v2.x and v3.x that v4.x doesn’t read, use or need.

Sure, they’re probably all lightweight folders or php files etc taking hardly any resources but just OCD lol.

However, no joy so far. Every upgrade following the official guide step by step (delete app/vendor, overwrite files, PHP 8.0, env.php etc) and /update is still doing a fresh install and empties my v3.x tables with no data, users etc so reverted back to v3.x to avoid site downtime while I’m at work and will try again tonight or weekend when more availability.

You aren't connecting the right database, maybe missing the table prefix.

All sorted, it was provider's side! /update worked successfully message. However, /, /explore, /dashboard etc is 'This file cannot be directly accessed.'

At first i thought it might've been a rewrite or .htaccess issue but it's the default 4.0.12 .htaccess file.

Is there another way to log errors? Non-chevereto links work like favicon and sitemap.xml etc.

Update: Fixed. It was something to do with my custom theme/overrides. Deleted and copied default "Peafowl" as my theme now and all good!

Thanks guys.

Last edited:

I don't have such an old version, I have: 4.0.7.

From what I understand, to update, just upload the new version files to the server, and everything automatically works correctly, right?

I apologize for the question, but I find the instructions not very enlightening.

Back