• Welcome to the Chevereto user community!

Here users from all over the world gather around to learn the latest about Chevereto and contribute with ideas to improve the software.

Please keep in mind:

• 😌 This community is user driven. Be polite with other users.
    • 👉 Is required to purchase a Chevereto license to participate in this community (doesn't apply to Pre-sales).
    • 💸 Purchase a Pro Subscription to get access to active software support and faster ticket response times.

Upcoming changes for Network license

Rodolfo

⭐ Chevereto Godlike
Chevereto Staff
Administrator
Dear clients,

I'm writing this because I need to make adjustments to the Network licensing offering. To put it short and simple, we won't offer Network licensing for V4.

We are doing this change because the Network license is heavily abused. After all these years I've come up to the following conclusions:
  • Someone needing to run N installations can easily afford to pay a 1 one-time fee per domain ($39 per major version, come on)
  • The extra usage of the software (merely for more installations) makes these users heavy support demanding
  • Licensing is now one-time payment again per major version, we can't afford to provide a license that someones use with 20, 50, even 200 installs without a time-based renewal
  • People is reselling this online, it is very out of control
  • Agencies are using it without a license enabling that (they don't own the domains)
For the above reasons we won't offer Network licensing for V4.

The licensing which allows you to use Chevereto in "all domains you own" won't be available for Chevereto V4 and you will require one-license per root domain. The change only affects V4 licensing. You will be able to keep running your V3 licensed installations, but for V4 you will be required to provide and register one-license per domain.

Also, V4 licensing will be domain API binding. Meaning that the Chevereto.com API will only work for registered licensed domains, you won't be able to update the software using the one-click tools if your domain is not registered. Besides the license key, your domain will have to provide a DNS TXT record that guarantees that you are a paying customer getting access to our services and not somebody using it via an illegal re-seller. If you want to re-sell Chevereto you will have to bulk license it, if you want to service your agency customers every new domain will require licensing.

Thanks for understanding.

I believe TXT record validation will be one time and once verification is done it can be removed. And you can mark the domain as verified in your control panel to receive updates for that particular domain. Also I believe you will allow domain name changes.

Also, you can have a page where we can check the domain is using a licensed or nulled version and so people can report it to you if they find nulled version, something like WHCMS does.

Although I have about 20 sites running on one server, but I support your decision.

If the price is cheap, I will buy some bulk license.
Of course, this is all about make things more official and for sure there will be bulk offering for 20+ licenses or even more.

Thank you for letting me know about your need.

And you can mark the domain as verified in your control panel to receive updates for that particular domain. Also I believe you will allow domain name changes.
Exactly. For our need we only need to run it on activation, then issue checking before downloading the X release so is very feasible to have it implemented with regular checking on demand (when you need to use the API).
Also, you can have a page where we can check the domain is using a licensed or nulled version and so people can report it to you if they find nulled version, something like WHCMS does.
Absolutely! Thanks for bring that to my attention, we will seriously enforce the value of the software and we will seek to stop those affecting us all. They damage Chevereto, and we (as whole) need to act.

Even though I use only one installation on my network license, I don't think the removal of network license is a good idea. This may cost a lot more for users with real installations. The idea of a system to check license on every installation is awesome. If an license holder can't verify the domains the license is installed on, then they violate Chevereto's TOS, you can make your decision. As someone already mention, a page for people to check license and report pirate abuse is a must.

I don't think the removal of network license is a good idea. This may cost a lot more for users with real installations.
As I said earlier those with issues with this let me know. You are just making an assumption, I will ask to be more optimistic.

Will this have an impact on subdomain use? Namely, I have a test install to run updates on before making them live on the main site and one separate install for a personal gallery; they're on the same domain but different subdomains. (Eg, test.sitename.com and img.sitename.com and personal.sitename.com) Would that still be valid with v4, since it's on the same domain?

Will this have an impact on subdomain use? Namely, I have a test install to run updates on before making them live on the main site and one separate install for a personal gallery; they're on the same domain but different subdomains. (Eg, test.sitename.com and img.sitename.com and personal.sitename.com) Would that still be valid with v4, since it's on the same domain?
No impact at all, in fact, you are encouraged to use all the sub-domains you may need to.

@Rodolfo What about the founder License? I hope you don't make any changes to it. Because we are the people who believed you and trusted you 1 decade ago. License Domain verification is a good idea for all types of licenses.

@Rodolfo What about the founder License? I hope you don't make any changes to it. Because we are the people who believed you and trusted you 1 decade ago. License Domain verification is a good idea for all types of licenses.

The license changes applies only for V4 onwards.

Founder license gets the same bulk licensing discount that applies to Network license. Founder license = Network license.

No impact at all, in fact, you are encouraged to use all the sub-domains you may need to.
I do something similar however, I use different domains. My .dev domain is my test / playground that I use for testing etc. I have a different domain that is my main domain.

Having said that, I purchased a few years ago with the intention of using it on a few domains (personal, family, club), that I own but not even used it live yet.

Back