• Welcome to the Chevereto user community!

Here users from all over the world gather around to learn the latest about Chevereto and contribute with ideas to improve the software.

Please keep in mind:

• 😌 This community is user driven. Be polite with other users.
    • 👉 Is required to purchase a Chevereto license to participate in this community (doesn't apply to Pre-sales).
    • 💸 Purchase a Pro Subscription to get access to active software support and faster ticket response times.

Thumbnail with info, longevity of short links and "upgradability"

Saxtus

Chevereto Member
Hello.

I am interested for this script, but first I have some questions, that either I couldn't find after searching the forum, wasn't at FAQ or was there but just want to confirm anyway:

Thumbnails

Can the thumbnail creator, build uncropped thumbnails with a strip of info about the full image like the following?
2005053109197fv.th.png
or
addon2010092711521949.th.jpg

Longevity of short links

I see that v3 is around the corner and I want to be sure that any direct links of images and thumbnails, will keep working through versions. Will they?

Upgradability

I read that if I buy Chevereto now, I won't need to "pay any renewal or upgrade ever" because "it includes free lifetime updates". I also read about Chevereto v3 will be even more expensive than v2.
So the following question arises: I get lifetime updates (i.e. v2.x range only, security patches, bugfixes etc.) or I get lifetime upgrades (i.e. any future version makes previous branch obsolete, no more developing will happen to previous versions, users urged to upgrade, etc.)?

Thanks in advance.

Thumbnails
Can the thumbnail creator, build uncropped thumbnails with a strip of info about the full image like the following?
2005053109197fv.th.png
or
addon2010092711521949.th.jpg

If can means "just change an option and done" then the answer is no. But, with PHP you can achieve things like that with the proper coding in the upload class.

Longevity of short links
I see that v3 is around the corner and I want to be sure that any direct links of images and thumbnails, will keep working through versions. Will they?

Most likely the URLs like http://demo.chevereto.com/uID will be preserved.but in the form of a redirection to http://demo.chevereto.com/i/uID. Honestly I haven't think about this issue yet because there are a lot of URLs involved in the new version like /page, /user, /set, etc.

Upgradability
I read that if I buy Chevereto now, I won't need to "pay any renewal or upgrade ever" because "it includes free lifetime updates". I also read about Chevereto v3 will be even more expensive than v2.
So the following question arises: I get lifetime updates (i.e. v2.x range only, security patches, bugfixes etc.) or I get lifetime upgrades (i.e. any future version makes previous branch obsolete, no more developing will happen to previous versions, users urged to upgrade, etc.)?.

The current license being sold is the "lifetime license" which means that you will get lifetime upgrades in any range of Chevereto versions (that means 2.X, 3.X, 4.X, etc). In Chevereto v3 most likely the same lifetime deal will be preserved but it will be more expensive.

If can means "just change an option and done" then the answer is no. But, with PHP you can achieve things like that with the proper coding in the upload class.
Even if I do that, it means that I should review what changes are done and incorporate my code with every new version you release. Kinda defeats the lifetime upgrades if I should think twice to upgrade because of lack of time to track the code changes...

Most likely the URLs like http://demo.chevereto.com/uID will be preserved.but in the form of a redirection to http://demo.chevereto.com/i/uID.
What I am afraid is that I will have to edit every BBcode I've posted to every forum, to make image thumbnails work again, in case URL system change.

Honestly I haven't think about this issue yet because there are a lot of URLs involved in the new version like /page, /user, /set, etc.
If possible, please let me know when you think about it.

Thank you.

Even if I do that, it means that I should review what changes are done and incorporate my code with every new version you release. Kinda defeats the lifetime upgrades if I should think twice to upgrade because of lack of time to track the code changes...

Nope. Because if you do stupid-kind-editing you will rewrite the class directly. If you are wise you will extend the class or add your worker in files that usually not change like upload.php

What I am afraid is that I will have to edit every BBcode I've posted to every forum, to make image thumbnails work again, in case URL system change.

I'm not stupid, I preserve the URLs.

If possible, please let me know when you think about it.

I haven't planed the new URL structure yet and I won't think about it until the moment comes.

Thank you for the promptly answer.

Just to clear up: I am not sure where all this "stupid" talk came from, I just want to double-check things and asking here was the suggested way.
If my questions was expressed in an offending manner, I am terribly sorry.

Because everytime you tweak something you have to try to do it in a file that doesn't get constant changes. If you edit directly a class, well... you will have issues.

Back