• Hey Guest, don't forget to VOTE on each RFC topic. Your voting determine Chevereto development! No votes, no development.
  • Welcome to the Chevereto user community!

Here users from all over the world gather around to learn the latest about Chevereto and contribute with ideas to improve the software.

Please keep in mind:

• 😌 This community is user driven. Be polite with other users.
    • 👉 Is required to purchase a Chevereto license to participate in this community (doesn't apply to Pre-sales).
    • 💸 Purchase a Pro Subscription to get access to active software support and faster ticket response times.

Support both .jpg and .jpeg file extensions

Gambalunga

💖 Chevereto Fan
💡Describe your Feature request
I guess we all know that files with .jpg and .jpeg are exactly the same thing however the .jpg extension is by far and away the most common convention. The reasons are historical and no longer apply but despite this .jpg is the default extension used by most cameras, Android phones, and software. Photo editing software such as Adobe Photoshop and GIMP save all JPEG images by default to the .jpg file extension on both Windows and Macs to avoid confusion. Add to this the fact that a popular forum software, UBB.threads, does not support the .jpeg file extension.

because of this anomaly a decision was made with the release of Chevereto v. 4.0.4 to standardise the file extension to .jpeg. See

Improved image/jpeg file extension handling

Since MS-DOS era ("thank you" Microsoft) the JPEG file extension has ben chopped from jpeg to jpg. Today, in 2022 there's no reason for keeping this jpg so we are now embracing jpeg as the extension for image/jpeg MIME type.

In most cases the use of either extension makes no difference however to change user's file extensions from .jpg to .jpeg is causing problems in some areas and whilst it can be argued that .jpeg is more correct to insist on it is now a lost cause.

All I am asking is that a user's original file extension, be it .jpg or .jpeg, is maintained.

👏Where did you saw this?
Most, but not all, software support both file extensions. In the case that only one is supported it is more likely to be the .jpg version.

🔥Interest outside our community

Forums using UBB.threads software. As an example of this issue the following two threads on the TalkMorgan forum:

Prior to Chevereto v. 4.0.4 this was not a problem as files with .jpg were saved with their original file extension.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mid
Chevereto supports both extensions (jpeg and jpg) for image uploading. What is being requested is that Chevereto stops fixing the extension and keep either .jpg or .jpeg as at this time it will assign .jpeg to all these.

Chevereto supports both extensions (jpeg and jpg) for image uploading. What is being requested is that Chevereto stops fixing the extension and keep either .jpg or .jpeg as at this time it will assign .jpeg to all these.
To be absolutel clear this policy means that a file, say myimage.jpg , when uploaded is changed by Chevereto to myimage.jpeg
This has the potential to cause problems when a direct link to the url of the file is used. In particular, and in my case, a file with the .jpeg extension can not be used as an avatar in a UBB.threads forum.
As a small aside I note that my avatar in this forum has a .jpg extension.
Code:
https://chevereto.com/community/data/avatars/m/81/81844.jpg

Back