• Welcome to the Chevereto user community!

Here users from all over the world gather around to learn the latest about Chevereto and contribute with ideas to improve the software.

Please keep in mind:

• šŸ˜Œ This community is user driven. Be polite with other users.
    • šŸ‘‰ Is required to purchase a Chevereto license to participate in this community (doesn't apply to Pre-sales).
    • šŸ’ø Purchase a Pro Subscription to get access to active software support and faster ticket response times.

Subdomain for user profiles?

There's the possibility to do it, but it is experimental and it won't be included in V4 as sub-domains will be used for languages as it showed better results. You could give it a try with usernames, but don't get used to it.

@Rodolfo how about custom domain for each user? Would that be possible?
He answered that @jaakko . It exists. You just need to write the htaccess rules to enable it along with flipping the setting in the link Rodolfo linked.

It's pretty nice, but it does have a lot of issues. I find it breaks often so I stopped using it. But if you wanna write the htaccess rules go for it.

He answered that @jaakko . It exists. You just need to write the htaccess rules to enable it along with flipping the setting in the link Rodolfo linked.

It's pretty nice, but it does have a lot of issues. I find it breaks often so I stopped using it. But if you wanna write the htaccess rules go for it.
I meant real domain, not subdomain.

I meant real domain, not subdomain.
I don't understand why you want to design a system with that complexity. Each username should be a single personal-mode stand-alone instance.

I don't understand why you want to design a system with that complexity. Each username should be a single personal-mode stand-alone instance.
I want only one instance but an ability for users to use their own domain. That way it's a lot easier to monetize the service. The same way like you have an option to use Blogger with custom domain.

I want only one instance but an ability for users to use their own domain. That way it's a lot easier to monetize the service. The same way like you have an option to use Blogger with custom domain.
That's not really easily possible with how Chevereto and most server infrastructures are set up. This is a huge networking DNS feat, and you probably should go hire 2-3 IT Guys, 1-2 Software Developers, and a Customer Support agent while you're at it unless you want to set up each one as a network license manually, one by one. You're looking at $320,000 a year without hardware to just pull this feat off on your own.

This is hugely complex, to split up Chevereto on a per domain basis automatically. Manually? Sure, it's possible. I suggest you get comfortable with writing htaccess.

But why one installation and not multiple, each one in its own context? That way users could use your service more intensively because they will have their own users and needs.

I understand the kind of service you want to build, but I don't share the way you are looking to make it happen as you are simplifying on the wrong layer.

But why one installation and not multiple, each one in its own context? That way users could use your service more intensively because they will have their own users and needs.

I understand the kind of service you want to build, but I don't share the way you are looking to make it happen as you are simplifying on the wrong layer.
I would like to provide a quite simple photo gallery for users, and a lot of storage for them to upload and store original files. I know a Finnish service provider who does that and they make a lot of money. Here is their website translated into English https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=&sl=fi&tl=en&u=https://kuvat.fi/

That's not really easily possible with how Chevereto and most server infrastructures are set up. This is a huge networking DNS feat, and you probably should go hire 2-3 IT Guys, 1-2 Software Developers, and a Customer Support agent while you're at it unless you want to set up each one as a network license manually, one by one. You're looking at $320,000 a year without hardware to just pull this feat off on your own.

This is hugely complex, to split up Chevereto on a per domain basis automatically. Manually? Sure, it's possible. I suggest you get comfortable with writing htaccess.
If that were the case then how there are one man webhosting providers? With HostBill or WHMCS providing a hosting service is quite easy

If that were the case then how there are one man webhosting providers? With HostBill or WHMCS providing a hosting service is quite easy

Buy WHMCS, get a server with cPanel/WHM, setup it up with Softaculus (offers chevereto free), signup with enom or other domain reseller services, create chevereto specialized packages with setup and configuration included - and sell it :)

The reason for having a one instance is that I would like to have a community with social features where users can easily comment other users' photos. Also I don't want to enable my users to start their own community which would be possible if they had their own instances.

Having own subdomain or domain for each user profile is still nice to have. If users share links to their profiles on social media etc. it would look more professional and also it's easier to monetize the service. By default I could only provide subdomain but if users want own domain that could be a paid upgrade

Providing a hosting service where each user gets their own instance isn't so lucrative than having a huge community within one instance. Hosting services aren't making a lot of money. Imagine how much Facebook would make money if everybody got their own Facebook instance, not much. Social features is the key. Anybody can provide a Chevereto hosting service but it's lot more difficult to start competing against a huge well established community. People don't easily change to another service unless there is a very good reason. However, changing a hosting company is a lot easier task.

@Rodolfo by the way, why are subdomains used for languages? Wouldn't it be easier to to detect user's browser language? If a user wants another language there could be a small menu for changing language and the selection would be stored in a cookie. For logged in users there could be a more permanent setting in their profile.

Sharing profile links would also work better when you don't have to share a specific language subdomain for each language. Also search engines doesn't like if you host same content on different URLs. Of course that can be fixed with writing canonical URL on the pages so not a huge issue

@Rodolfo by the way, why are subdomains used for languages? Wouldn't it be easier to to detect user's browser language?
Because language subdomains works best for SEO, it drives way more traffic as language stops being a barrier.

If a user wants another language there could be a small menu for changing language and the selection would be stored in a cookie. For logged in users there could be a more permanent setting in their profile.
šŸ¤” It works exactly as you describe.

search engines doesn't like if you host same content on different URLs.
Read about href Lang šŸ‘€

With the current system (V3) it will be very hard to achieve this, but with V4 you could setup another custom layer for user interface and geniunily achieve what you want to.

Don't take me wrong here, I love what you want to do and the advice here (not only mine) comes from people long running the software, we are just trying to guide you towards a better experience and maintenance for your business.

Would be great if V4 had an option to use subdomains for user profiles. I donā€™t need foreign language users on my site.

If user wants to share his profile link it looks more professional to have user.photos.com than photos.com/user

Actually I donā€™t even want foreign language users on my site. They just increase my hosting cost. Geo-restrictions arenā€™t a solution because there are Finnish speaking users all over the world.

Would be great if V4 had an option to use subdomains for user profiles. I donā€™t need foreign language users on my site.
If you really care about it then consider to post a RFC. https://chv.to/rfc I do have very clear channels for collaboration, hope your feedback doesn't get lost in a post reply.

If user wants to share his profile link it looks more professional to have user.photos.com than photos.com/user
What's more profesional? A hostal or a hotel? I believe that an hotel is more pro, I have my own bathroom, bedroom, key... But hey, is just my personal opinion.

Back