• Welcome to the Chevereto user community!

Here users from all over the world gather around to learn the latest about Chevereto and contribute with ideas to improve the software.

Please keep in mind:

• 😌 This community is user driven. Be polite with other users.
    • 👉 Is required to purchase a Chevereto license to participate in this community (doesn't apply to Pre-sales).
    • 💸 Purchase a Pro Subscription to get access to active software support and faster ticket response times.
  • Chevereto Support CLST

Support response

Support checklist

• ⚠️ Got a Something went wrong message? Read this guide and provide the actual error. Do not skip this.
    • ✅ Confirm that the server meets the System Requirements
    • 🔥 Check for any available Hotfix - your issue could be already reported/fixed
    • 📚 Read documentation - It will be required to Debug and understand Errors for a faster support response

SPAM upload

Status
Not open for further replies.

israkaif

Chevereto Member
🎯Description of the issue

I have a problem with a spammer who uploads pictures to my site.
Spammer uploads:
  • several dozen images anonymously every hour;
  • 3 or 4 different pictures which have different random file names at every upload;
  • from different ipv4 from the pools /22- /24 at every upload.
Thus, the spammer bypasses the protection of the site from re-loading images.

My site is hidden behind Сloudflare. The log looks like the images are loaded through the standard site loading system. The site uses upload user interface "On-page container".
Perhaps the spammer uses software solutions that understand and modify the JS of the site to spoof the ip.

It would help me if the site determines the reload of images by file size too, not only by ip and/or file name.

▶🚶‍Reproduction steps

...Spammer makes that every days some times.

😢Unexpected result

He does it successfully.

📃Error log message

[Provide any relevant error log entry. You may check our documentation for help on this]

For now, turn on recaptcha and block the IP via CloudFlare.

Chevereto 3.14.0 will feature security enhancements that will stop IP spoofing spammers.

Cloudflare has a feature to block IP ASN. This will block entire IP owned by that particular ISP. This is more effective than wildcard IP blocking as this specifically target a single ISP and all of their IP ranges.

Looking forward to more spam control features in Chevereto such as email domain blacklist and image hash blocking as IP blocking is turning out to be less effective these days.

I write again. EVERY file upload "has" NEW IP usually from new provider. IP blocking is impossible because I do not see real IP behind Cloudflare and I do not block tons of providers spoofed IPs here.
OK. I try turn on recaptcha. I am waiting PI v3.14. And I hope image hash blocking can be added more quickly

IP blocking is turning out to be less effective these days.
IP blocking has never been effective. It can be easily faked, which I didn't knew. I assumed that these attacks where just new IPs but after all it is just an exploit in the system. The problem is in the G\get_client_ip function, which parses HTTP_* headers set by reverse proxies like CloudFlare. The problem is that these headers are sent by the client, not by the server.

This was reported about one week ago and I started to work on it asap. At this time, the patch is already live on the demo (among with several other stuff added in 3.14.0).

For now, you can edit /lib/G/functions.php

PHP:
    function get_client_ip()
    {
        return $_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR'];
    }

Make sure that the get_client_ip function reflect the code above.

You will need to enable mod_remoteip (Apache), ngx_http_realip_module (Nginx). This applies to any remote proxy you may be using, for local proxies you may also need to set the actual REMOTE_ADDR value.

Unfortunately, this ticket has more than seven days without a reply or feedback from the original poster. We will now consider this ticket abandoned and its now closed.

Don't hesitate to create a new ticket if this matter is still causing you issues.

Ticket closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back