• Welcome to the Chevereto user community!

Here users from all over the world gather around to learn the latest about Chevereto and contribute with ideas to improve the software.

Please keep in mind:

• 😌 This community is user driven. Be polite with other users.
    • 👉 Is required to purchase a Chevereto license to participate in this community (doesn't apply to Pre-sales).
    • 💸 Purchase a Pro Subscription to get access to active software support and faster ticket response times.

Remove usernames (incognito mode)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bcf admin

Chevereto Member
First off may I congratulate you on this great script, I only installed it yesterday and my members who have used it already are really impressed.

I run a forum that holds weekly competitions that get the images they submit voted on, as I can see in the dashboard there is no option to remove the username from the image so when they are in a poll being voted on all other members are able to see who's image belongs to who.
This is a real downside to myself and other potential buyers of the script who regularly hold polls where images are used.

Could I suggest an option from the dashboard that removes the username from the image for future releases or if there is a way this could be done by altering the code of the current version and posting a guide on how to do this ?

I have recommended this script to three other similar site owners to mine who love the script but the display of usernames is a concern to them and are holding them back from purchasing the script so I hope you can take this into consideration before dismissing the idea.

Thank you

First off may I congratulate you on this great script, I only installed it yesterday and my members who have used it already are really impressed.

I run a forum that holds weekly competitions that get the images they submit voted on, as I can see in the dashboard there is no option to remove the username from the image so when they are in a poll being voted on all other members are able to see who's image belongs to who.
This is a real downside to myself and other potential buyers of the script who regularly hold polls where images are used.

Could I suggest an option from the dashboard that removes the username from the image for future releases or if there is a way this could be done by altering the code of the current version and posting a guide on how to do this ?

I have recommended this script to three other similar site owners to mine who love the script but the display of usernames is a concern to them and are holding them back from purchasing the script so I hope you can take this into consideration before dismissing the idea.

Thank you

Our solution for this when I ran competitions was to add an uploader to the forum using the api as all posts are anonymous (not tied to an account) when uploading through that method.

Also, the imbed code, atleast on my end, does not display the users information or an easy way to access it. If you used randomized information the url string will be a long number and the actual ONSITE page will be a short number. This will make it impossible, unlike sites like Imgur, to match the direct link image with the image on the site.

To be honest the request is quite odd and there are multiple workarounds for this:

A. Upload as guest
B. Use the API
C. Disable explorer and then create your own route.image.php and remove anything that correlate that image to an user
D. Disable the search functionality

Like SirMoo mentioned, unless you use ID based file naming is impossible to make the connection between an image URL and an user if you disable explore + search. The only possible way could be manually visiting each user profile and try to find the particular image.

Also, if this request gets a lot of heat I can add it to the system, or maybe find the way to do it. Is quite weird because we are talking about "hidden" images that belongs to an user and to be honest I have never felt the need for this but I'm also aware that it could be a cool addon because I don't have the same needs that you and maybe dozen or hundred persons could have. That's why I need all the feedback about this and I appreciate that you brought this to my attention.

Hope it helps,
Rodolfo.

Last edited:
I think a possible acceptable solution would be a 'publicly anonymous'. Image page only shows ownership to admin/uploader... but others see it as 'Guest' but uploader can still manage it and it doesn't appear in their profile for other users... However... I feel this would get very little use and get confused for 'hidden' images. :/

API/Guest uploads seem the best way to go.

To be honest I am surprised no one else has commented on this, probably those that do reply use their image hosts in a different way to those of us that use bbcode thumbs in polls regularly.

Since looking in on the topic last Thursday I have looked at the most popular hosts used on the web, signed up to them to test and non of them show user names as the default setting.

I'm not 100% sure about the options you gave
A. Guest upload is turned off as its for members of a particular forum only and I do not want others to upload as guests...so this option is not possible for my situation.
B. I have not got a clue how to do this, even after reading your documentation
C. I have disabled this but I'm not sure if you mean I have to edit the parts out of the route.image.php
D. I have disabled this but makes no difference.

I am happy to remove code in the route.image. php with notepad++ and upload again if I know what part to remove but don't
The actual bit I don't want anyone to see is the username that appears in the full image when the BBcode has been clicked.

Thank you

To be honest I am surprised no one else has commented on this, probably those that do reply use their image hosts in a different way to those of us that use bbcode thumbs in polls regularly.

Since looking in on the topic last Thursday I have looked at the most popular hosts used on the web, signed up to them to test and non of them show user names as the default setting.

I'm not 100% sure about the options you gave
A. Guest upload is turned off as its for members of a particular forum only and I do not want others to upload as guests...so this option is not possible for my situation.
B. I have not got a clue how to do this, even after reading your documentation
C. I have disabled this but I'm not sure if you mean I have to edit the parts out of the route.image.php
D. I have disabled this but makes no difference.

I am happy to remove code in the route.image. php with notepad++ and upload again if I know what part to remove but don't
The actual bit I don't want anyone to see is the username that appears in the full image when the BBcode has been clicked.

Thank you
Then don't use the bbcode? Not that radical of a plan. Also you could consider changing the bbcode in how it links to an image. Currently the system simply links to the main page and not the image directly... Why not just link to the image directly... It feels you're not wanting to do work to solve the problem and wanting the solution to be created for you within a second party program when you can just make the modifications yourself.

The API is very easy to use if you have any experience with coding... I'm sure you can find a script for your forum software that uploads images to a third party and then simply modify it...

Excuse me Sirmoo but did you read the post above ?
I have said I am happy to edit the script but unlike you some of us are not exactly sure where or what to look for and don't want to make a mess of the codes, the only thing I would like is a clue to where to look, is that asking too much ?
I have also said that the options suggested have either been done or I don't understand, what part of someone who doesn't understand don't you get ? if I knew what I was doing I wouldn't ask for help would I now.
Also it might be an option for you to use ways to link the image but Iwant to do it the way we have been doing it on our forum for the last 7 years.

To be honest Sirmoo your help seems to confuse matters, not only in this topic but also in others I have read, you need to get the idea that not everyone knows the things you do !!!

Sorry to go off on one Rodolfo but I bought this script as it is easy to customize and I have managed to do all the changes I need with out any help but the removal of the username is something I need help with, so if you could just let me know what part of the code displays this.

As youwill see from the two different hosts one does not display my username while the other does (guest to be precise), it is that guest/ username I need removing if it is possible.

As I previously said I have other forum owners who are holding back from purchasing the script, it has in fact risen from 3 to 5 owners now so this is important not only to me but to them and also yourself with potential customers needing this removed.

Thanks again.

In Chevereto I don't work with the premise of that "people are waiting for this to purchase". Chevereto works in the way that I fill popular demand and this one is not actually being supported by the community because only you are asking for this. I'm not saying that is a bad idea or something, is just that I develop a product for thousands and I can't just focus in one install.

Secondly, Chevereto includes a lot of aux functions like is_owner() or is_admin(), you can detect logged users, etc. So if you need to trim some stuff go ahead and customize the theme. I won't add those modifications if just one person is requesting that. Like I said, this is used by a lot of people so I must focus in the most wanted features.

If those who want to purchase this really want that feature then tell them to signup and request the feature.

I fully understand you don't work with the premise of that "people are waiting for this to purchase", I was merely stating that I am not alone in needing the username removed, and to me if I know 5 people myself there must be thousands out there who need it too, my comment was solely to let you know what others want.
I suppose there is a 50/50 divide for this and your customers here who express interest are of that 50% who are happy with the way the script is as it works for them, unfortunately it is something that my community does need removing other than that the script is perfect.
I will let the other interested parties know about the request and get them to sign up.

Like I said before I am capable of editing the script to a certain extent but as this one is new to me and purchased as a community I didn't want to remove code unnecessary and put users off from using it if I do something wrong and it is unusable.

Would you be able to tell me which file and where to look so I can remove this code ?

You need to remove the user references in tpl_list_item, the user references in route.user.php (listing) and image.php theme view.
- app/themes/Peafowl/tpl_list_item/
- app/themes/Peafowl/views/user.php
- app/themes/Peafowl/views/image.php

Thank you Rodolfo, I will take a look in those files

That's hyperbole at it's finest!

Really ?, if you take a look around the internet and see how many forums there are that use images in polls they don't use image hosts which display a username in polls if they want them to be bias free.
As I have said I personally know of 5 people myself who need a host that has an option not to display the usernames so there must be thousands out there over the internet and that is why I suggested it.
One thing I see all the time on forums I use is the growing number of forum owners fed up with the various image hosts either being down and or deleting images after a certain time so they are taking the plunge like I have to host their own images for their community so in time I can definitely see what I requested being something more will be wanting in the future.

Have you tried editing /app/themes/[YourTheme]/image.php ? Would be a good place ot start...

I havn't no, and the reason for that is I was looking in route.image.php only as suggested but now I know it's more than one file that needs editing I shall be ok.

Just asked about this in pre sales and it's something I would love added, it would definitely secure a purchase from me if it was added.

BCF admin, are you Paul from BCF ? I'm sure it must be you, so thanks for telling me about this hosting script, now I know you went for it I will come and see what yours is like.

I will agree with BCF admin on this, uploaders names displayed are a NO,NO on forums like ours which run competitions and yes there must be thousands who probably need this option, it's definitely something I need and others I know.

BCF admin, are you Paul from BCF ? I'm sure it must be you, so thanks for telling me about this hosting script, now I know you went for it I will come and see what yours is like.
It is me and you have actually used mine already :p before I changed a few things to make it look like my site so you probably didn't realise it was mine, I notice you only used it couple of times so assumed you didn't like it so pleased to see you here and taking interest as the script is perfect.
If you get on one of the other forums that are looking for hosting before I do send them to this topic, Rodolfo needs more interest in the upload tag removal before he will consider it.

If you get on one of the other forums that are looking for hosting before I do send them to this topic, Rodolfo needs more interest in the upload tag removal before he will consider it.
No. This is a cosmetic item that should not be put in the main line. You can modify your own theme and suppress content you desire.

Having run forums with competitions, we simply required that all images sent not use the url that displays the site page and to use the url that display the raw image. Why this is difficult for you to do is beyond me as it solves your need without having to remove parts of the site. Post the direct link = problem solved.

For gods sake sirmoo do you not read things ?
Just a few points to get this into your head sir moo

1. I have said I am going to edit it to suit my needs (now I know which files to look in)
2. People I know and forums I visit use image hosts that do not show user names all the time
3. I run my forums competitions in a different way to you did yours, I have been doing it for over 6 years now and I'm used to that way
4. Others I know do require hosts that don't display user names as they do things for polls the same as I do
5. Others who buy this script are not coders, they would not even attempt to alter code
6. Just because you think this should not be put in the main line does not mean others think the same
7. Why do popular free hosts such as imagebam, imagevenue, imgur, imgbox and others not have the username displayed as default ?
8. When posting thumbnail images on forums your name is displayed as it is here, those opening images will know its yours so there is not the need for a user name to be attached, when posting thumbs in polls usernames do not want to seen anywhere on a full image
9. Just like many don't want to see image exif data many don't want to see usernames
10. I'm getting tired of your put downs to this request please stop it.

I don't know what your relationship is to the site, whether you are staff or just a member who has purchased the code and takes a keen interest in the development but you seem to be really against this suggestion and seem to now be posting anything to sway others minds and that isn't on as this topic is turning into something of a farce now with your constant put downs of what I have requested.

@Rodolfo,
I love your script, I love the direction it is going with the regular updates and features you are adding for your customers and I understand that not everything that gets requested gets fulfilled so I do hope that the way this topic has turned does not make you feel bad towards me.
The suggestion I made is something that I can see there will be a need for in the future especially as those big hosts seem to getting more and more unreliable for the likes of myself and the thousands of users who rely on the content being up on their sites or sites they post to, not all your customers will use the hosting script or its image codes in the same way and like I have said the way I use images on my forum is the way it has always been done for me and all the other forums I have use for years, yes sirmoo may have his own work around of it but changing the way something has been done for years by so many not only affects the site owner but their members too.
My initial thought when starting this request was seeing other things could be turned off and on from the dashboard then it wouldn't be such a problem to request the uploaders name done that way as well but with what I see as negative posts sirmoo is starting to post now I will leave it upto others to hopefully convince you this is wanted.

I think I have run the course to put my side of this forward, good luck with future releases and hopefully one day I will see my suggestion has been included, cheers for now Rodolfo.

I have just spoken to my friend Paul aka BCF admin and I simply had to come and read what has been said, and add my thoughts.

Although I think everyone is entitled to their say on the matter whether for or against, it seems sirmoo is prejudice towards this suggestion and prejudging others needs due to his own which I can say are not the same as mine or dare say many others who use this hosting script.

I came here to find out more about the hosting script and ask a few questions, one being was about the possibility of user name tags being taken off which like Paul is a big thing for us and our type of forums which hold competitions all the time, it might seem a trivial move to a lot of people to try alternative posting methods, but I am with Paul when it comes to change and upsetting the way things have been done since the start of my forum.

Unlike Paul I don't particularly relish the idea of altering the code to remove those upload tags. I just don't have the experience to go messing about in areas I don't understand and feel that this might be something which will require doing on every update and feel I will have to keep a guide permanently on hand to what I have to alter.

Although Paul has been great with informing me, he will walk me through the areas of editing text and styling of the main page so it looks as great as his image host does. I think for the time being I will hold off from purchasing as this is an important issue to me and I need to think things through thoroughly before being stuck with something I may have issues with in the long run.
I will consult Paul when he has removed the user tags to see if it is easy enough for me to do before I purchase but to be honest changing too much code does frighten me and as you did not rule out this request being done as a feature I really would be happier knowing it had been done by a pro rather than an amateur. but I'm not sure how long I can wait from holding off buying a script.

One final thing sirmoo and other knowledgeable souls may want to think about, if I do buy the script it won't turn me into a coder just like if I buy a car it doesn't make me a mechanic, so please don't tell me I should do this and do that because in my case you can't teach this old dog new tricks.

It may be a bit awkward but a simple solution for this is to 'not' allow users to register (so it shows everyone as guest) or just replace the username part with a common term for example 'user'.

I'm not going to address every point you listed but I'll try to express why I AM so against it. And to be clear, so there is 0 confusion, I'm only a customer like you who has interest in seeing this grow. I bought it months before it was released and have encouraged and given my opinion on features since launch. Why? Because there are a lot of features that are not needed that people suggest that if there is a perceived bias in terms of WANTING it then it may get consideration when it's not necessary for an image host.

If you look at the history of this program and what requests for development are... People are wanting to develop a social media platform and ecommerce engine. To some, for their ideas of what they need from a site, these are great. Others like me see 0 need for this and view it as code bloat. I do not want more social tools outside of a login system. I do not want 'pay-to-upload' and buckets of data. I do not want pay-to-view. These type of suggestions increase code weight with features that may not be needed by all others and could be implemented by other users through paid developers for plugins.

We're still a new script. There are still some major things that I feel needed to be integrated first before most other things like this. Rodolfo is dedicating an entire phase to money generation. However, I'd like to see more work on a new API, more verification and approval checks for images, and other minor things that are not massive revolutions to the program. Without input, these may go unnoticed.

I will address point number 7. I can ONLY speak for the use of Imgur, but by default, imgur DOES put your username on the image AND the images can be backwards traced to their original page. Solution? Upload as a guest and not a user. Then there is never a username. Chevereto HAS THIS SAME FUNCTION! If you upload as a guest, or using the API, a username is NEVER on the image.

It seems weird to have a system that requires for people to create accounts then to have images not even show who uploaded it. Completely anonymous guest uploads are fine built in and the API system makes it beyond easy for you to do this right from your own website without ever leaving the 'post' page of a forum.

You're indeed wanting to run your site in a different way from others. There are a few of us who target those who want a portfolio in the photography world... Graphics design, etc. Then there are those who want to run a very generic image hosting. You personally seem a little more niche than mentioned, but when people are wanting to add new systems... EXPECT people to not like your idea and to comment about it. Maybe a simple 'Privacy' toggle won't cause much of an increase to the overall system in terms of code. But we have ONE developer. Who can't implement every feature everyone wants... So it's up to the community to voice support and opposition against things. Regardless if you like what I have to say or not.

Most of what you're asking for can be done. Just... The way the current BBCode shows the image is not ideal. You can simply modify that to have to display the ideal code and link to the image directly and NOT the embeded page. I'm not really sure what the opposition of this is, to ask people to give you the DIRECT link and not the embedded on into the site?

I think that is fair to offer (to the end user) the possibility to control a given image but everybody else will see it as "guest". I think about it as a incognito mode and if you ask me if that is "needed" I will say no, but is a neat addon.

What makes Chevereto superior to the rest of of the systems is that is not a copy cat and that I add things that have potential to make a Chevereto powered website better than any account that you can get at imgur or Flickr.

That said, I'm in favor to add "incognito mode", switchable by each user. I will love to be able to upload some images, decide when to delete it and not be related to that image.

So this will be labeled as accepted but please understand that there are several other features that will be added before this. Also, I'm adding it because I see potential on it and I think that it will be a nice addon, not because I want you to purchase it next week.

Cheers.

Reactions: SMP
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back