• Welcome to the Chevereto user community!

Here users from all over the world gather around to learn the latest about Chevereto and contribute with ideas to improve the software.

Please keep in mind:

• 😌 This community is user driven. Be polite with other users.
    • 👉 Is required to purchase a Chevereto license to participate in this community (doesn't apply to Pre-sales).
    • 💸 Purchase a Pro Subscription to get access to active software support and faster ticket response times.

Re: Chevereto V4 installer available

ForoMaquinas

Chevereto Member

Using the Installer​

The Installer (opens new window)is a single-file tooling that interacts with the Chevereto API to automate the software installation process.

curl -SLo installer.php "https://chevereto.com/download/file/v4-installer"
  • Navigate to the installer URL which is at https://your_website/installer.php and follow the steps.
Hello Rodolfo, those of you who are computer cracks think that we all have to know it almost like you, this that I have put above is what you say is used to install V4, I mean I upload the installer to the destination folder and ready And what is the "curl" for, or where it has to be put, at the beginning Rodolfo explained everything very well, I mean for fools, but I see that now the level is God.
I don't know what to do because this doesn't work. Sorry, I don't know how to make it work.

Greetings.

Hi,

There's a general misconception about what the Installer is and whatever is required to use or not. The key feature in the Installer is that provides download + extraction, but if you are in this using the easy servers (cPanel, Plesk, etc) you only need to:
  1. Download the release
  2. Upload and extract the zip file using your web panel software
  3. Navigate to https://yourwebsite.com and follow the instructions
^ These instructions above have worked from V1.0 onwards.

Nowadays we also have a VPS provisioning which doesn't rely in the Installer at all as it uses directly the Chevereto API and configures the entire server for provide the best software experience. Of course, if you run a Centos cPanel shared server this VPS provisioning won't be an option.

There's no "better" installation method, just different methods applicable depending on your context. At the end is all the same (provide the application files in a working filesystem).

Hi,

There's a general misconception about what the Installer is and whatever is required to use or not. The key feature in the Installer is that provides download + extraction, but if you are in this using the easy servers (cPanel, Plesk, etc) you only need to:
  1. Download the release
  2. Upload and extract the zip file using your web panel software
  3. Navigate to https://yourwebsite.com and follow the instructions
^ These instructions above have worked from V1.0 onwards.

Nowadays we also have a VPS provisioning which doesn't rely in the Installer at all as it uses directly the Chevereto API and configures the entire server for provide the best software experience. Of course, if you run a Centos cPanel shared server this VPS provisioning won't be an option.

There's no "better" installation method, just different methods applicable depending on your context. At the end is all the same (provide the application files in a working filesystem).
Except doing this in a shared environment simply does not work. I have tried to convey that to you over and over again and I know you don't understand that or choose not to. I can install a multitude of image software, say Coppermine for example, and it configures, works, and is user friendly.
It seems to me that you are pushing VPS and those you list as providers. While not wrong, its better in my opinion to support the little people as well that can test, use, and provide feedback. I know what I am posting here will fall on deaf ears and result in yet another "screened" post however the truth is what it is.

Lets make things better...

Except doing this in a shared environment simply does not work.
These kind of servers vary a lot one from another, just like all servers but with a resource cap. There are shared servers performing better than a lot of VPS out there, but also plenty shared servers which are a shame to use.

To put things in context, consider that the Installer/Updater requires to handle about 20K files in the extraction step. This never was an issue, but in modern shared servers the I/O is extremely capped and is causing issues for a process that won't take more than a few seconds in our infra. Unfortunately I'm seeing a tendency in providers for keep increasing caps there, meaning that stuff like one-click update won't be a reliable option for these users in the future.

It seems to me that you are pushing VPS and those you list as providers. While not wrong, its better in my opinion to support the little people as well that can test, use, and provide feedback.
We took the software seriously enough to provide our own universal server standard. Will work in any provider, and as the cost of VPS are low as $5/mo I think that we are doing pretty darn good there. If you want to save more money then there's the cost of compatibility: The only way to make Chevereto more compatible is by having users trying it, reporting it back, we fix, then repeat the cycle. That's an ongoing process, it is endless and it will always slower to resolve as users (peers) need to report us back their findings.

These kind of servers vary a lot one from another, just like all servers but with a resource cap. There are shared servers performing better than a lot of VPS out there, but also plenty shared servers which are a shame to use.

To put things in context, consider that the Installer/Updater requires to handle about 20K files in the extraction step. This never was an issue, but in modern shared servers the I/O is extremely capped and is causing issues for a process that won't take more than a few seconds in our infra. Unfortunately I'm seeing a tendency in providers for keep increasing caps there, meaning that stuff like one-click update won't be a reliable option for these users in the future.

We took the software seriously enough to provide our own universal server standard. Will work in any provider, and as the cost of VPS are low as $5/mo I think that we are doing pretty darn good there. If you want to save more money then there's the cost of compatibility: The only way to make Chevereto more compatible is by having users trying it, reporting it back, we fix, then repeat the cycle. That's an ongoing process, it is endless and it will always slower to resolve as users (peers) need to report us back their findings.

Look at those links. I think you will see what I am referring to. Clearly, at least with the free version, shared was / is a "thing". If shared is garbage as with some providers, I understand but in my test cases the systems are strong enough but hosts are less than willing to go with webp even with smaller file sizes. Not sure why thats a thing.

A $5.00 per month vps? Maybe but not sure where.

Compatible? I am trying it. Have been, and have been reporting back. My replies are not often welcome however they are honest.

Regarding Softaculous, I contacted them earlier this year asking to provide the Installer and they said no, the closest we can get is to ship Chevereto-Free with upgrade option.

with the free version, shared was / is a "thing"
There's lack of proportion in your analysis. Consider the package sizes:
  • Chevereto-Free is 3MB
  • Chevereto V3 is 34MB
  • Chevereto V4 is 70MB
These differences are abysmal, if you ever wanted to know why Chevereto-Free performs "so well" in shared hosting is because it does way less stuff and you can check that by package size and file count.

hosts are less than willing to go with webp even with smaller file sizes. Not sure why thats a thing.
Most cPanel servers are still Centos based. In that realm, the packaging for ImageMagick doesn't include libwebp. To get webp support you need that the provider compile libwebp from source, imagemagick with webp flag and finally php pecl imagick. All that compilation won't happen in most cases.

My replies are not often welcome
That's on your mind. I can always reject your post, edit them, censor, but there we have all your posts as-is. It seems that you don't realize how long I have been in this board, don't confuse poker face with lack of respect or care.

Back