• Welcome to the Chevereto user community!

Here users from all over the world gather around to learn the latest about Chevereto and contribute with ideas to improve the software.

Please keep in mind:

• 😌 This community is user driven. Be polite with other users.
    • 👉 Is required to purchase a Chevereto license to participate in this community (doesn't apply to Pre-sales).
    • 💸 Purchase a Pro Subscription to get access to active software support and faster ticket response times.
  • Chevereto Support CLST

Support response

Support checklist

Questions About External Storage

Phil Boyd

Chevereto Member
I've got Chevereto up and running. No problems.
One thing I'm interested in is getting some external storage. I know next to nothing about CDN and I was hoping I could get a couple of questions answered.
The first question is where do I even start? Obviously I've looked at Amazon (I assume it would be the S3 service). They say the first 5GB is free. Is that accurate? What I need it for now is for very minimum use. It's a pretty small forum so I think 5 gigs would be good for awhile.
Is Amazon decent or should I just look elsewhere?
How difficult is an external service to set up? My "technical" knowledge doesn't extend beyond things like HTML, CSS and Wordpress.
And finally, how much trouble is it to move images from my current server to the CDN service? I have unlimited hosting, but I'm fully aware that really isn't the case.
Anyway, any advise or suggestions would be very appreciated.

I think 5 gigs would be good for awhile.
I have 500ish pictures on AWS's S3. I keep them under 800X600 (for forum use) and I'm at 100mb of storage. I've been using them for 2 months at no cost.

My Chevereto site is hosted with TMDHosting. Same story as far as the space I'm using. I limit my users to 800X600. 636 images at 103.4mb.

I've got Chevereto up and running. No problems.
One thing I'm interested in is getting some external storage. I know next to nothing about CDN and I was hoping I could get a couple of questions answered.
The first question is where do I even start? Obviously I've looked at Amazon (I assume it would be the S3 service). They say the first 5GB is free. Is that accurate? What I need it for now is for very minimum use. It's a pretty small forum so I think 5 gigs would be good for awhile.
Is Amazon decent or should I just look elsewhere?
How difficult is an external service to set up? My "technical" knowledge doesn't extend beyond things like HTML, CSS and Wordpress.
And finally, how much trouble is it to move images from my current server to the CDN service? I have unlimited hosting, but I'm fully aware that really isn't the case.
Anyway, any advise or suggestions would be very appreciated.

1. Amazon is excellent for file storage, however it can get very expensive very fast after the first five gigs.
2. External storage is pretty straightforward to setup, however if you are not super technical, you might want to get someone to help you out.
3. You don't "move" your files to the CDN. The CDN pulls them from your webhost (origin server).

No, the images remain physically on your server. The CDN takes a copy of it for it's cache the first time it is requested
OK, I see now I had a very wrong impression of what a CDN is.
Thanks for setting me straight.

Yeah, S3 is storage, much like how a webhost will provide you storage. However, webhosts don't like it when you start storing 50-100GB or more of content (no matter what they say, it's not unlimited), so that's where something like S3 comes in handy.

Amazon's CDN service is called CloudFront, which is different from S3. Think of CDNs as servers that are mirroring your content in multiple locations around the world. It helps to reduce wait times loading up large images. It is expensive, though.

S3 is ridiculously expensive for today standards, a CDN on top of each SFTP is the cheap yet very reliable alternative to get this going.

The actual limitation on hosting companies is about inodes and the traffic that you pull. That's the fine print, the one that everybody should read anyway.

Most likely you did it wrong and the CNAME isn't resolving properly. Not a script issue because Chevereto just prints the URL.

No, is not a file. Is a value in the X storage row in the database. That's why I told you to "inject the value in the Storages table".

No idea why the thing replaces the URL, I didn't add any functionality that does that thing. Most likely is your browser messing with auto complete or something silly like that.

One of the cheapest ways to gather file storage is to use external dedicated servers.

Something like the 6TB server at the bottom of this list works out to £0.0044 /GB for storage, and OVH have unlimited traffic, so you won't get stung by a heavy bill for bandwidth.

https://www.soyoustart.com/en/server-storage/

If cloud storage is the way you want to go, but fear (quite understandably) AWS S3 pricing, you can look at something like Digital Oceans' "Space".

Object storage, as with AWS, but its more developer oriented so no PUT?GET requests etc. Straightforward pricing for store and transfer. I think they even have a $5 / month plan with a load of storage and transfer included.

Their API is 100% S3 compatible, so will work anywhere S3 will.

Back