• Welcome to the Chevereto user community!

Here users from all over the world gather around to learn the latest about Chevereto and contribute with ideas to improve the software.

Please keep in mind:

• 😌 This community is user driven. Be polite with other users.
    • 👉 Is required to purchase a Chevereto license to participate in this community (doesn't apply to Pre-sales).
    • 💸 Purchase a Pro Subscription to get access to active software support and faster ticket response times.

pre sales questions

avalanchevm

Chevereto Member
Hi,

I am currently have the free version of Chevereto up and running to evaluate before purchase and I have a few questions. We'd like to use chevereto as a self-hosted solution for family photos and sharing with extended family etc. In no particular order, they are:

• Is it possible to have multiple user accounts add items to a single album? I can see several posts on the forums saying that it is being added etc dating back a few years, but is it not there currently?
  • Chevereto only seems to import some exif data? Does it strip whatever it doesn't import? How do I get relevant information like date taken to show?
  • The demo has a comment feature included with it via disqus, but I've found several threads on the forums that seem to be hinting at a native comment system that doesn't rely on an external one. If I'm reading this correctly it was added a while ago?
  • If I set website privacy mode to public I get a landing page with a call to action button. If i set it to private I force users to log in first. Is it possible to have users get the landing page but are forced to log in before continuing? Stated another way, is it possible to configure the private mode login page?
  • It seems that the only options for organizing uploads is either into a single directory, or a directories split down to the day they are uploaded. Are there any other options? Perhaps a new folder for each month, instead of each date? Or basing the upload on the date taken as found in the exif data?
    • In particular I'd like to perhaps also separate original upload, medium size and thumbnails into separate folders.
  • Is there any feature or customization that can be done to customize image URLs? It seems like it's just 3 random characters? I was thinking to do something like gfycat does where it is a couple adjectives followed by a noun.

Thanks for your input everyone.

TL;DR No.

I'm working on a new major version and to be honest I will add just the essential stuff for V3. The more stuff I get asked for V3 the longer I get delayed so plain and simple: I won't add anything you are asking for V3. For most of your questions, the answer is a plain "no" and no, I don't have a date for V4.

Chevereto only seems to import some exif data?
It parses and stores all EXIF data. Thing is that it only shows the important stuff.

Cheers,
Rodolfo.

I won't add anything you are asking for V3
To clarify: I wasn't asking for anything new to be added, merely if things were already there or not. If they're not, that's fine. If they are planned (whether in this version or the next major version) then it is good to know.

It parses and stores all EXIF data. Thing is that it only shows the important stuff.
So does that mean that the date the photo was taken is not important?

I have a few additional questions:

• I've read in a few places on the forums that "group albums" has been accepted. Does that mean this feature exists? Is it that it's not in the free version, and only in the paid version?
  • Is there an internal commenting system? One that doesn't use disqus, facebook, or anything else? From what I'm reading it seems there is, but afgain I don't see it in the free version. So, is it something that is in the paid version but not the free version?
  • Lastly, regarding EXIF data, I can see what you mean that the system doesn't strip it. I am confused about why only some data is displayed. You said it only displays "important" data but I don't really understand what is defined as important. Surely the date a photo was taken is important. I'm assuming there is no way to customized this from the admin side, so I'd have to live without it for the time being. Is that correct?
Thanks for your time in helping me understand the system.

For most of your questions, the answer is a plain "no" and no

I've read in a few places on the forums that "group albums" has been accepted. Does that mean this feature exists? Is it that it's not in the free version, and only in the paid version?
No, no.

Is there an internal commenting system? One that doesn't use disqus, facebook, or anything else? From what I'm reading it seems there is, but afgain I don't see it in the free version. So, is it something that is in the paid version but not the free version?
No, no and no.

Lastly, regarding EXIF data, I can see what you mean that the system doesn't strip it. I am confused about why only some data is displayed. You said it only displays "important" data but I don't really understand what is defined as important. Surely the date a photo was taken is important. I'm assuming there is no way to customized this from the admin side, so I'd have to live without it for the time being. Is that correct?

I don't know either. Far as I remember when I added EXIF support (2014-10) I didn't show creation date and no one else seems to care about not showing that data. The data is there. Is just not displayed by the theme. In all these years I've been asked to add filters based on EXIF creation date and stuff like that, but far as I can remember, I never got a request for showing that data.

Rodolfo
I know you are concentrating on the new version and don't want to do more than necessary with the current version, however I am surprised that no one has asked for the creation date to be displayed. I would have thought that to be one of the most important bits of EXIF information. It should not be too hard to do and if I get time in the next day or so I will see what is needed to add that to the list of EXIF data displayed.

In reality I noticed this because I have had in mind that it would be nice to have the option to display an album in chronological order based on the date of creation of the photo.

Ok, I had a quick look at the issue of showing the Date Created. Perhaps it could be formated differently and also placed in a different order in the list but this is what I have done.

I edited the file /app/lib/functions.render.php and at line 705, just after " 'Model' => $Exif->Model," I inserted the following line:
Code:
          'DateTimeOriginal'    => $Exif->DateTimeOriginal, //added pb (The first part,'DateTimeOriginal', can be modified as required. Eg. 'DateTimeCreated' would show as "Date Time Created" on the rendered page.)

When you click on "More Exif data" it shows as in the attached (partial) screen capture.

I hope this helps.

Attachments

• example.jpg
    example.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 10
Back