• Welcome to the Chevereto user community!

Here users from all over the world gather around to learn the latest about Chevereto and contribute with ideas to improve the software.

Please keep in mind:

• 😌 This community is user driven. Be polite with other users.
    • 👉 Is required to purchase a Chevereto license to participate in this community (doesn't apply to Pre-sales).
    • 💸 Purchase a Pro Subscription to get access to active software support and faster ticket response times.

Photos stored on local NAS device

ceejayemm

Chevereto Noob
I have a lot of existing photos and scanned images stored on a local NAS device which would be on the same domain as my proposed Chevereto server. I can create CIFS or NFS file shares from the NAS but can I connect Chevereto to such a share to allow theses photos/images to be viewed via Chevereto without needing to upload them directly to Chevereto ?

In addition a number of these images have metadata held in EXIF/IPTC formats, can this meta data be displayed or used for searching in Chevereto ?

Many thanks

Chris

No, you can't point an existing directory and make Chevereto "mount" these images. Chevereto doesn't work by scanning a directory, but by querying a relational DB.

In addition a number of these images have metadata held in EXIF/IPTC formats, can this meta data be displayed or used for searching in Chevereto ?
Exif data will be parsed (if any) and it will use title / description for searching.

Thanks. Will the new Bulk Importer facility suggested for 3.12 that I have been reading about change this situation ? Will the Importer be able to read a shred NAS folder and upload the necessary details to database - without duplication of the original files ? I can't se the point of importing the files if they only end up being duplicated to the Chevereto Images area.

Chris

I can't se the point of importing the files if they only end up being duplicated to the Chevereto Images area.
The importer will move the images from the importing path to the target storage path and by the end of the process the original importing path should be completely empty.

Will the new Bulk Importer facility suggested for 3.12 that I have been reading about change this situation ?
No. Because Chevereto heavy relies on its database for absolutely everything. You have to realize that Chevereto is built for massive image hosting, its main goal is to distribute image hosting among countless image hosting services all across the web. At this time there are plenty Chevereto based websites hosting more than 1M images and the trend is that there will be more and more websites in that situation.

As the thing is built for high scalability in mind, we must use a relational DB to keep listings blazing fast and keep everything easily organized.

Having to sync a local folder on a daily basis is not an optimal way to deliver this kind of services as the filesystem operations (scan, move, copy, read, whatever) are blocking (I/O) and they are way slower than the DB. Basically, you need to spin a process just to keep the thing synced. Small websites with not so many images could use a sync feature like the one you are asking for, problem is that such feature is heavy targeted for the personal market and that is not my focus at all.

OK, thanks for the clarification. I understand 'importing' data into a database and I think its a shame that the image location can't also be treated as metadata, thus avoiding the need to move the images (from the NAS) to the Chevereto Image location thus negating the whole point of storing data on a NAS. This would also enhance the scalability of Chevererto too.

Sorry I won't be taking my initial interest in Chevereto further at this stage.

Bemused.

Chris

Awesome, hope that the next software you choose is actually made for what you need.

Otherwise you will felt bemused a lot.

Back