• Welcome to the Chevereto user community!

Here users from all over the world gather around to learn the latest about Chevereto and contribute with ideas to improve the software.

Please keep in mind:

• 😌 This community is user driven. Be polite with other users.
    • 👉 Is required to purchase a Chevereto license to participate in this community (doesn't apply to Pre-sales).
    • 💸 Purchase a Pro Subscription to get access to active software support and faster ticket response times.

New free version

Rodolfo

⭐ Chevereto Godlike
Chevereto Staff
Administrator
Hi all,

I want to share with you all (clients) that soon I will introduce an updated free version. Current free version is v2.6.0 and that thing is too old already so that's why I'm about to release a new free version.

This new free version will be forked from v3.8.1 but it comes unsupported and without all features. Check this comparison table:

Untitled-1.gif

The goal of this new free version, named "Chevereto Free" is to gain more visibility and hopefully more sales. Chevereto is not going free or Open Source (I must insist in this).

I know that you paid for Chevereto (thank you) and worry not because I'm trimming several functionalities from this free version which also it won't share the same updates of the paid version and it will have a delayed update cycle of about 6 months. Is pretty much a freemium model being normal Chevereto the premium (paid) product the one who you already own.

I'm sharing this because I don't want second reads here or misunderstandings. Chevereto Free is not the same as the paid stuff and I hope everybody can see it in that way.

Cheers,
Rodolfo.

=D Wonderful idea. Allows a risk free way for people to test CHV before they buy. Hopefully this will lead to more people giving it a try.

=D Wonderful idea. Allows a risk free way for people to test CHV before they buy. Hopefully this will lead to more people giving it a try.

I also made this retro style logo:

Chevereto_Free.png

Honestly, I think you should include the "One Click Update System" with the free version.

I think it would help avoid potential security issues as well as complaints from users whom aren't too technical.

Honestly, I think you should include the "One Click Update System" with the free version.

I think it would help avoid potential security issues as well as complaints from users whom aren't too technical.
See, I feel completely the opposite way. This system is feature lite... and doesn't come with support. The goal isn't to give them everything but tease them into buying.

Security issues will be there even with an easy update system. This won't fix that since the update system isn't automatic in the background like WP.

See, I feel completely the opposite way. This system is feature lite... and doesn't come with support. The goal isn't to give them everything but tease them into buying.

Security issues will be there even with an easy update system. This won't fix that since the update system isn't automatic in the background like WP.
WordPress has supported one click updates for years, long before the automatic update features was enabled. They have the ability built in for the same reasons why most every script out there these days has it built in, it is so when an exploit is found or update it released users can quickly/easily update avoiding bad press & complaints.

If you aren't careful when offering the free version of Chevereto it could come back to bite you in the butt. The features available need to ensure users can easily update to avoid exploits and easily upgrade to the paid version (Heck the upgrade to paid version should be a single click too).

I don't develop my own software, but I have been the project manager for many both in and out of the corporate world, there are a few things you really need to do to ensure your "demo" clients are happy..if they aren't happy they will never pay & upgrade.

That's the price you pay when you go free.

You have to remember that this is a freemium model, not an open source model. We earn money selling licenses, not selling plug-ins or themes. Priority here are those who pay to get those.

Also, releases will be shipped via GitHub so update will be easy as run the git command.

By the way... The auto update stuff is not on my likeness and I like to have a button that needs me to be worried about it. Most security issues are because we rely everything on machines and some hardcore guys (like xenforo) don't even have one click update.

Good idea.

I feel "Chevereto Lite" would be apt name.

For marketing reasons I must use the "free" word. I want that "Chevereto free" searches end up at Chevereto not a Warez website.

Reactions: SMP
Good luck with this! Hotlinking is one of the most valuable parts of an image host to me, personally. I absolutely love this software already.

Back