• Welcome to the Chevereto user community!

Here users from all over the world gather around to learn the latest about Chevereto and contribute with ideas to improve the software.

Please keep in mind:

• 😌 This community is user driven. Be polite with other users.
    • 👉 Is required to purchase a Chevereto license to participate in this community (doesn't apply to Pre-sales).
    • 💸 Purchase a Pro Subscription to get access to active software support and faster ticket response times.

New forum software

Status
Not open for further replies.
As I've said I like vBulletin and own a license.

I manage a license for XenForo (Not mine) and running on this site; http://bebopvox.com/forums/

I'm considering of buying XenForo myself for a domain name I own http://hostedtalk.com

I would buy either one...I have complete access to the XenForo License so their forum support is awesome they helped create a plugin.

Invision Power Board is the way to go... vBulletin has gone downhill (v3 was great.. v4 is a trainwreck).
vBulletin got new owners and some of the developers didn't agree with the new direction the software was taking and decided to start xenforo.

Invision Power Board on the other hand, has only continued to improve and improve. They also listen to the customers for new additions.

Guneyd said:
Invision Power Board on the other hand, has only continued to improve and improve. They also listen to the customers for new additions.

I have heard that the developers are not quite good listeners.

A friend told me that there are still a lot of Bugs in IP.Board 3.3 and some of them wont be fixed until 3.4, so what should I think about this?

Guneyd said:
Invision Power Board is the way to go... vBulletin has gone downhill (v3 was great.. v4 is a trainwreck).
vBulletin got new owners and some of the developers didn't agree with the new direction the software was taking and decided to start xenforo.

Yes, vBulletin 3 was and still is great.

vBulletin 4 in my opinion is better, but don't care for their "CMS" In fact you could buy the 'Cheaper Solution' and download a 'Free Solution' from the Mods Section or http://www.vbadvanced.com/products.php?s=fd82da0066027dc3583db94d9c02255c&do=productinfo&productid=4 - This one works great, I think it supports v4.

vBulletin did get 'New Owners' and I've heard that story about XenForo, In fact here's part of the wiki article.

One of the developers of XenForo, Kier Darby originally served as a lead developer for the community platform vBulletin. The original owner of the software, Jelsoft, was acquired by the American new media company Internet Brands in 2007. Disagreements between the lead developers and the new management over matters involving the next big release of vBulletin, version 4.0 (including a rejection of their desire to make 4.0 a complete rewrite of the platform as opposed to Internet Brands preferring the use of agile development) led most of the original vBulletin developers to step down from employment at Internet Brands in 2009.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XenForo

Too be honest I don't blame them for quitting vBulletin, I would of probably done the same if I was in that position, wonder if vBulletin was a complete re-write or a built upon the vBulletin 3 product...at any rate, This caused XenForo to be born and it's a good forum script and totally recommend either of them.

As Rodolfo mentioned, He's not inclined to use 'Open Source' if he were to changed forums because lack of support or technically none at all and have to rely on the community.

Whereas he also mentioned money isn't an issue and having vBulletin or XenForo in its placed would be a significant upgrade as I've more less own both licenses and even considering buying another for another domain.

vBulletin 4.x License - $195 - 1 Year (Updates Included)
vBulletin Renewal License - $175 (Updates Included)
Source: From website, logged into my account I own.

XenForo 1.x License - $140 - 1 Year (Updates Included)
XenForo Renewal License - $40 - 1 Year (Updates Included)
Source: From website, logged into the account I manage.

IP.Board 3 - $175 (6 months software upgrades/support)
IP.Board 3 Renewal - Not sure, but Optional 6 month renewal: $25 for Support
Source: From website, can't log in to confirm renewal rate as I don't own a license.

I'm inclined that XenForo is a good choice of even vBulletin, but either way I'll be happy with either forum you choose.

After knowing this information, maybe it will advise you choose a good forum script.

Regards

nice feedback of the forum softwares Cory ;)

Even tho I've been using vBulletin for the past 3 - 4 years I would definitely go first with XenForo. Knowing that the main developers of that forum software were lead devs from vB 3 means everything, I'm sure they are doing and will do a great job with that script.

XenForo + IPBoard is just a waste of money.

MyBB + vBulletin is good. But i prefer MyBB Most, even you didn't add it to the list. MyBB has alot more features for their users, and the best thing. It's free... Unlike the XenForo, which is a waste of money.. They don't have alot good plugins, you basically need to make them on your own..

I have been using MyBB in two years now and i am still happy with it, quick patches on latest exploits and always the best plugins for MyBB. You can request a plugin and it's made inside a day on Yaldaram.com ..

Like.. $140 for a forum ?

I don't see the point paying for a license, when you can get it completly free from MyBB. They have a nice shoutbox plugin, that i have configured to make the best layout out of it. And it's secure, all the huge hacker sites are using MyBB, which means they ain't posting tutorials on how to hack MyBB/Exploit it..

Like, just go at Yaldaram.com , or community.mybb.com and ask for a plugin and you'll see, they'll help you and find it if it isn't already made, and may make it for you. Quick support.

You can't even compare MyBB with IPBoard + XenForo. My mate has been using IPBoard, and he's been hacked two times. So the paid ones ain't always the best.

I dont like MyBB... Simple as that. I don't like the template system, I don't like this kind of ripoff other bb softwares, I dont like it at all. I like xenforo because I see innovation and functions that are needed not things to populate a feature list.

Actually I'm more familiar with ipb, I have worked with it in the past but I see more future in xenforo than in ipb and obviously I see more future in xenforo than in mybb. You. Can't trust in a product that is leaded by a community, you need to focus on a product that has a clear leadership at least from major version to major version because you don't want silly changes in time you want a solid roadmap with things very well planed.

When I see MyBB I see just other forum software that could be equal to smf, phpbb, phorum, etc... All looks like a rip free version of vB and they look like the CMS from like 2-3 years ago. When you see IPB, XF, or even vB 4 you see innovation, you see that they define where the thing goes. I don't want to stick to a rip forum because in that case I should stick to punbb.

Since they don't define nothing they live at the shadow of the other innovations meaning that they always do bad things because you can't copy that.

I have to say I don't quite agree with you Rodolfo. Obviously it's your forum, your website, your product and totally your choice and I do agree about the template system BUT MyBB is different to others in the same class. If it's powerful enough and well supported enough to be used on the XBMC forums (110,000 users / 950,000 posts) then that's testimony enough in my opinion.

Anyway, those are my two cents :p Xenforo will be a nice move for the Chevereto community.

I use IPB and always have. It's fast, clean and very user friendly.

If XenForo had the longevity and knowledge base IPB has I'd probably switch over but for the time being, they don't so IPB all the way :)

We can't judge using current communities because mostly forum cms out there have great communities that are based on their soft, for instance facebook developers runs in punbb but ¿is punbb the best solution for Chevereto?

This is not about how many user can be online, or how many plugins are available... Is about what is the best solution for Chevereto and I think that the best thing is IPB and XenForo.

Is true, any forum cms will fit but the problem is not that... The problem is having the thing running at least 5 years in that cms and change it because something better is available not because we are in the urge of leaving the cms or because the project is dead (just like punbb).

Rodolfo said:
I dont like MyBB... Simple as that. I don't like the template system, I don't like this kind of ripoff other bb softwares, I dont like it at all. I like xenforo because I see innovation and functions that are needed not things to populate a feature list.

If you don't look at how many plugins availble or how many users are online at these forums, then what are you looking for? you need to look after good security, not only template system. Lol

XenForo is awesome, they even help with building custom pages and stuff for free, all though I still put in most of the work, they just lead me into the right direction.

Buy XenForo :)

Mcmar said:
But actually, i think XenForo looks great. I searched up some forums now :)

What made you change your mind about XenForo? You said in another topic that MyBB was way better than any paid forum software...

Danny.Domb said:
Mcmar said:
But actually, i think XenForo looks great. I searched up some forums now :)

What made you change your mind about XenForo? You said in another topic that MyBB was way better than any paid forum software...

I never said XenForo was better than MyBB? I still think MyBB is WAY Better. Lol :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back