• Welcome to the Chevereto user community!

Here users from all over the world gather around to learn the latest about Chevereto and contribute with ideas to improve the software.

Please keep in mind:

• 😌 This community is user driven. Be polite with other users.
    • 👉 Is required to purchase a Chevereto license to participate in this community (doesn't apply to Pre-sales).
    • 💸 Purchase a Pro Subscription to get access to active software support and faster ticket response times.

New forum software

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lautaro

👽 Chevereto Freak
Hi,

I think we all already know chevereto 2.1 it's almost here and one of the things that Rodolfo said regarding that update is that he was going to change the forum software to a better one, hopefully that's still the case because we've all noticed the amount of bots that get in the forum and spam it like hell.

The intention for this post is to discuss the pros and cons of the good forum software out there, so in case Rodolfo didn't decide yet he would get a little more feedback from people who already used such forums.

I'll start mentioning 3 of the most known forum scripts:

1.- vBulletin 3.x / 4.x
2.- XenForo
3.- IP.Board

In the 3 scripts mentioned above I've only used vBulletin and so far I can't complain about the script at all, It has almost any addon you need and extensive features. However, since it was acquired by Internet Brands its community has been decreasing (from my point of view).

I did a little research about XenForo some time ago and I found that that it was created by former employees of Jelsoft Enterprises and even tho their community it's not as big as the vB one it's growing up fast.

so, what forum script would you like to see in this community?

BTW this is not a thread to decide but to give some feedback and suggestions to Rodolfo.

Lautaro said:
Hi,

I think we all already know chevereto 2.1 it's almost here and one of the things that Rodolfo said regarding that update is that he was going to change the forum software to a better one, hopefully that's still the case because we've all noticed the amount of bots that get in the forum and spam it like hell.

The intention for this post is to discuss the pros and cons of the good forum software out there, so in case Rodolfo didn't decide yet he would get a little more feedback from people who already used such forums.

I'll start mentioning 3 of the most known forum scripts:

1.- vBulletin 3.x / 4.x
2.- XenForo
3.- IP.Board

In the 3 scripts mentioned above I've only used vBulletin and so far I can't complain about the script at all, It has almost any addon you need and extensive features. However, since it was acquired by Internet Brands its community has been decreasing (from my point of view).

I did a little research about XenForo some time ago and I found that that it was created by former employees of Jelsoft Enterprises and even tho their community it's not as big as the vB one it's growing up fast.

so, what forum script would you like to see in this community?

BTW this is not a thread to decide but to give some feedback and suggestions to Rodolfo.

Lets see from experience, I've used all of them. In fact I own a license for vBulletin 4.x and I'd say this is a pretty reasonable solution. However I manage a license for XenForo (I didn't buy it, I just control it for a site I'm head admin for) Minecraft Forum. :) - Therefore I have full access to this as if I was a client myself. I'd say this is awesome really good solution and people in the forums are willing to help you if need something figured out.

As for IPB, I don't think I'll ever buy a license as between experience between vBulletin and XenForo - I don't need any other forum software.

When running the Minecraft Forum we were on phpBB 3 and I converted the database to XenForo flawless, one-time without issues! Some minor permission issues, but all in all was a like a hour fix.

I'd recommend either choice providing they do both support Punbb Converting. There appears to be 3rd party ones created by ones not officially created by the companies...at any rate people have had success with them and as long as they're current any one of them vBulletin or XenForo would be a plus.

Here's a awesome site I've used in the past, comes in handy for anyone consider different forum solutions as it outlines stuff you may need or want, keep in mind if their is something you want and doesn't come with it there is likely a plugin to do that. :)

http://www.forummatrix.org/compare/Invision-Power-Board+punBB+vBulletin+XenForo

By talking of experience here, I've runned forums with every of the above. vBulletin isn't the best solution, not in my opinion.
IPB (IP.Board) is by far the best paid forum software. I only use that one for the top forum projects I have, and nothing else. vBulletin isn't even mentioned.

And for XenForo; it's good for hosting sites for some reason, never liked it so much either.

I currently use MyBB, the best free forum software available. It's free, light and there's tons of plugindevelopers using MyBB as their main source of income, mainly because it's such a good software. I use MyBBExtras for my extra plugins, which also is THE best spambot plugin to prevent bots to register. And it's just so lovely.

Out of all of the options I would go with MyBB. Even the XBMC forum uses MyBB and they have over 100,000 users with nearly 1 million posts.

Past chosen one was IPB but currently I'm more attracted to XenForo because I have notice that IPB isn't the same thing that it use to be and vB is old and expensive.

Problem with free cms is that you never know when it will die and then you will have to move. Has happend with punbb, phpbb, etc.

MyBB isn't going to end within the next years, and even if it does, the users will continue the project.

Yeah MyBB is very very popular and supported like XBMC is. I would give it a go - it's very powerful software.

Yeah, Rodolfo; give it a go. I know I'll be way more active then, because MyBB is simple to use, and looks more clean.

I like xenforo it's awesome, right now it's kinda new but sooner or later it's going to expand and xenforo will be #1. :) :p

I think the main options are MyBB and Xenforo - both look good and both are stable. I don't see the point in wasting hundreds of pounds on forum software when, to be frank, the open source versions are better.

Well, the main problem here is that we need to measure things in perspective. I know that is likely that MyBB, vB, IPB, phpBB, Vanilla, SMF, etc can meet the requirements but honestly I prefer pay for this kind of software instead of choose something free.

As you may know previous Chevereto version was Open Source and as developer I get frustrated a ton of times and the project was dead from time to time. Some other projects gets major changes that aren't approved by all the people (i.e. Wordpress way to handle the comments) and that means that if you use open source you will have to worry to patch, code, etc. I don't need that, I need a robust CMS and focus in the features not in "my gosh... I have to update this whole thing again".

Mostly paid cms are a complete different story. They get superb support, ton of new features and all the changes and improvements are well planed and not just what a group of developers think that will be great and force the rest to follow that.

I prefer to pay for a good solution that will work at least 5 years with constant new updates. Just see how punbb, phpbb, smf and all the other open source guys are... The system is pretty much the same, a lot of mess, no one agree with nothing. MyBB perhaps doesn't have this problem because is not too old but as I tell you... I know how is develop under the label of Open Source, I want the real thing for my community money isn't a problem.

Going for XenForo would be a great idea, it's a "new" software and very powerful, and it's being developed by great coders.

Plus, you wouldn't have to worry much about its style since its default one is pretty minimalistic, and I've noticed you like minimalistic designs :p

s-f-r-j said:
and i can host your forum 4 free ! :D

Why would he risk his forum by moving to your host if hes already been on the same host for a long time without any problems ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back