• Welcome to the Chevereto user community!

Here users from all over the world gather around to learn the latest about Chevereto and contribute with ideas to improve the software.

Please keep in mind:

• 😌 This community is user driven. Be polite with other users.
    • 👉 Is required to purchase a Chevereto license to participate in this community (doesn't apply to Pre-sales).
    • 💸 Purchase a Pro Subscription to get access to active software support and faster ticket response times.

Multiple Resolutions

Status
Not open for further replies.

yowchuan

Chevereto Member
I am coming from the approach where I am using Chevereto to manage my image database for a few e-commerce stores.

It would be great to have a function where I can upload a high resolution image, and that image can have multiple resolutions.

For instance, I'll upload an image, say 3600 x 2700. Then, my colleagues can choose from a few presets of resolutions- say 800x600, 1024x768, 1800x1350. Each of these resolution would be a different files by itself, and will have their own respective direct link.

I am coming from the approach where I am using Chevereto to manage my image database for a few e-commerce stores.

It would be great to have a function where I can upload a high resolution image, and that image can have multiple resolutions.

For instance, I'll upload an image, say 3600 x 2700. Then, my colleagues can choose from a few presets of resolutions- say 800x600, 1024x768, 1800x1350. Each of these resolution would be a different files by itself, and will have their own respective direct link.

Editing images (like resizing them) in php take a lot of ressources, it is really not recommended to this this with PHP. Since Chevereto doesn't know if you have full access to your server or not, implementing this could create a lot of problems for small image hosting with limited resources...

Agree, it's cost over convenience. We can still live with downloading the biggest file available and resizing it offline.

That is called image chain (when you have multiple size presets for a image) and the problem is that the resize function is by far the most expensive function in Chevereto because It takes a lot of RAM and CPU to do it. However, I think that having a image chain presets is suitable on personal/closed environments where you actually don't host a ton of files each day so there isn't that high usage or if you have a superb server setup in multiple racks whatsoever.

Now, flickr has like 12 image sizes on the chain which to me is way too unnecessary. However I think that we need something like this:
  • Square thumb (width = height)
  • Thumb (fixed width or height)
  • Medium (fixed width)
  • Original (original size of the image)
For high res photos you maybe need this kind of flickr chain where you have 3 "large" sizes to save bandwidth so instead of encourage the use of the original file you use something way smaller like the 1024 image Thing is this function depends on the size of the original image.

I'm totally intrested in add this functions to the system and I will keep this as "accepted" because I have to think about it and because the new image sizes could be suit in part this request.

This will be great, actually I want this for my hardware reviews site, the resized image to frontpage and the original one for the highslide, hehe.

Saludos.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back