• Welcome to the Chevereto user community!

Here users from all over the world gather around to learn the latest about Chevereto and contribute with ideas to improve the software.

Please keep in mind:

• 😌 This community is user driven. Be polite with other users.
    • 👉 Is required to purchase a Chevereto license to participate in this community (doesn't apply to Pre-sales).
    • 💸 Purchase a Pro Subscription to get access to active software support and faster ticket response times.
  • Chevereto Support CLST

Support response

Support checklist

Load Balancer

Barry

💖 Chevereto Fan
Does anyone have any experience load balancing a chevereto site? I am talking about the actual webserver (apache). Finding that the webserver is getting pretty bogged down when the site is very busy, so I would like to add more webservers to ease the load.

I have verified that it is not the DB

As a first try, because it is easy to do and quick to revert, I would suggest putting nginx as a reverse proxy in front of apache. Even on the same machine. Nginx can take a great deal of stress away from grandfather apache.

As a first try, because it is easy to do and quick to revert, I would suggest putting nginx as a reverse proxy in front of apache. Even on the same machine. Nginx can take a great deal of stress away from grandfather apache.

Any pointers on how this is accomplished? I assume I can spin up a VPS, install nginx, but how do I reverse proxy the traffic?

Use nginx without Apache. You don't need Apache to run Chevereto.

Most of the load issues are just because your network is delivering static files + php so think about it as too much crowd in the wire.

If you switch to nginx you will notice how it delivers better static content, but once you get a bigger crowd it will start to give you trouble again.

Use external storage and/or CDN and you will get rid of all the network being used by static files which will leave your server just doing php.

Yeah, if you can get rid of apache, get rid of apache. nginx has a bit of a learning curve, but you will see that a lot of things are much easier to archive with nginx. If you can't get rid of apache easily, run it on a different port and let nginx handle the requests. There are tons of howtos online for that. Depending on your situation, some "microcaching" might help also. This should give you quiet some headspace. But as Rodolfo said, best to get rid of apache.

Back