• Welcome to the Chevereto user community!

Here users from all over the world gather around to learn the latest about Chevereto and contribute with ideas to improve the software.

Please keep in mind:

• 😌 This community is user driven. Be polite with other users.
    • 👉 Is required to purchase a Chevereto license to participate in this community (doesn't apply to Pre-sales).
    • 💸 Purchase a Pro Subscription to get access to active software support and faster ticket response times.
  • Chevereto Support CLST

Support response

Support checklist

• ⚠️ Got a Something went wrong message? Read this guide and provide the actual error. Do not skip this.
    • ✅ Confirm that the server meets the System Requirements
    • 🔥 Check for any available Hotfix - your issue could be already reported/fixed
    • 📚 Read documentation - It will be required to Debug and understand Errors for a faster support response

License-System for own project

Avast

👽 Chevereto Freak
Hey guys,

actually i'm working on a software, which i want to sell to customers with different licenses:
  • lifetime
  • period of time
  • trial
These are the base-versions of licenses i've in my mind.

My question ist:
1. Would you develop a system, which does this job or is there an existing system you would recommend?
2. The software i'm working at runs via PHP, JS (node.js possible), so there are tons of ways to sync the license with the license-server.

Regards,
Avast

Hi,

Maybe I can give you some insights, but I'm afraid that I need more info. Which are your goals with this licensing system?

Thank you for your reply.

My main goal with this license-system is to protect my product. So only versions with a signed license by me are able to run properly.
+ To have a overview about all licenses with expiration dates.

Something like that.
I will release the software this year and will provide a hosted and a self-hosted version.

If this is server side stuff...

You have plenty options to avoid installations to run without a valid license key. Since this is scripting and the code is right there, most of this solutions have workarounds for those that don't have a valid license. Things like ioncube will allow you to have encrypted stuff but it can get reversed with some work. At the end, it all comes down to PHP and since it doesn't run compiled there's no much that you can do encrypting stuff.

The only true alternative to script layer encryption will be to add your own custom PHP extension (ext.so) as the licensing system, meaning that clients will need to have access to add PHP extensions and then re-compile PHP again. This is something that won't be possible in shared hosting, which is the largest share of potential clients, so is not an option (for me).

In Chevereto I use a custom system, which I described here: http://rodolfoberrios.com/post/37122201608/a-system-to-stop-being-nulled

This system works in such way that it allows me to detect if an installation is legit or not, but it doesn't control execution. It also helps me to detect who leaked Chevereto and then I can easily stop the leak. The system is easy as compare 3 hashes so if someone get a "nulled" Chevereto and try to alter those hashes I will now right away that the license has been altered.

I know that my system isn't perfect because it relies in 1) Detect installations (which means that I need a way to discover new installations) and 2) Webhosting companies (Not all companies takedown infringing websites).

To be honest, at server side there's no system that will do this licensing job (except the extension thing, but that has the problem of shared host).

Back