• Welcome to the Chevereto user community!

Here users from all over the world gather around to learn the latest about Chevereto and contribute with ideas to improve the software.

Please keep in mind:

• 😌 This community is user driven. Be polite with other users.
    • 👉 Is required to purchase a Chevereto license to participate in this community (doesn't apply to Pre-sales).
    • 💸 Purchase a Pro Subscription to get access to active software support and faster ticket response times.

Incorrect hreflang implementation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kotoff

Chevereto Member
Hello!
Todat i've got an email from Google Webmaster with subject -
Incorrect hreflang implementation on https://cardse.net/
And here is the screenshot of this message:

aacb273e3610859e00de94377226f871.png

And there is a screenshot of errors itself:

563336a394504cb8c52d87ade24fe1f4.png

Please advise.

The problem is that google is expecting URLs like /es/image/aBc or /image/aBc/?lang=es and Chevereto don't do that for hreflang. Chevereto uses cookie/session based triggers that switch the language.

What I'm seeing here is that we don't need the hreflang at all. The whole point of the hreflang tag is:
Introduced by Google in December 2011, the hreflang tag allows you to show search engines what the relationship is between web pages in alternate languages. It's useful when you've created content that's specific to a local audience. The hreflang tag adds a signal to search engines that a user querying in language "x" will want this result instead of a page with similar content in language "y".

But that doesn't means that Google will crawl a website in each given language, it just tells Google which are all the available languages and which one is the default language. By doing this Google will skip double indexing for urls like "/fr/content" and "/es/content" and it will just keep "/content" (which is taken from x-default or from the language HTML tag on top).

Chevereto already does a very good job setting the default language and handling all the translation logic. I will remove the hreflang implementation for v3.6.6 to avoid this issue.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back