• Welcome to the Chevereto user community!

Here users from all over the world gather around to learn the latest about Chevereto and contribute with ideas to improve the software.

Please keep in mind:

• 😌 This community is user driven. Be polite with other users.
    • 👉 Is required to purchase a Chevereto license to participate in this community (doesn't apply to Pre-sales).
    • 💸 Purchase a Pro Subscription to get access to active software support and faster ticket response times.

Improved NSFW options

kiwidona

Chevereto Member
Hi!

I had this idea browsing my recently installed Chevereto.

Wouldn't it be nice to each user to have a small on/off switch regarding NSFW content? Once set to off, the system wouldn't display NSFW-flagged images even if they belong to the user's account. If set to on, the user becomes able to freely access and see NSFW content on the whole site.

It would be specially useful when accessing chevereto on public environments, a situation where the "My images" panel can be... a bit of a trouble (lol).

I do understand that currently we have a really good option to prevent NSFW content from being displayed on public listings and such. This idea is just an expansion to that.

-

Besides, current NSFW system is quite troublesome. It works if the user want to share a image, but not the album (if the whole system is set to not show NSFW images in lisiting, only admins and the own user will be able to see NSFW images on a NSFW album).

To counter that, one could enable system-wide NSFW viewing, but that brings NSFW stuff to every corner of chevereto, including Explore.

Also, if you recently uploaded NSFW content and log into your account, all NSFW content will be displayed on the first page. That kills the possibility or logging on Chevereto on public places.

With an NSFW/SFW switch, one could easily toggle safe mode and surf securely. With NSFW set to ON, well, you know... ;)

Best Regards!

Last edited:
If I'm getting this right the problem is that you have NSFW photos and you want a switch in your account settings to set show/hide NSFW images so you can safely show your website to anyone close to you like "hey, check my website in my computer". Have you ever consider to use two accounts?. I mean, you can easily just create a NSFW account and a SFW account and not mix anything.

I think that the NSFW/SFW settings needs to be improved but this is like too much.

I see. Thanks for the reply, Rodolfo.

Most of my users access at public locations during the day and the issue is that even if they do use a second "non-NSFW account", they will likely encounter NSFW content if, for example, they get to the albums page of an account that have NSFW content added to it. In this particular case, even if NSFW on public listings is disabled via admin dashboard, the album's cover (that cool thumbnails one) will show NSFW regardless of the setting.

So I thought that perhaps an small switch near the username where one could set a SFW mode that would prevent NSFW from displaying entirely would both solve this sort of situation and come in handy as they wouldn't need two accounts each. It could also prevent embarrassments if they computer is set to login automatically: The very first page one see after logging in on Chevereto is the user's last sent images. If one of those where NSFW, they will show regardless of the system settings to not display NSFW on public listings (as it's not a public listing).

There's also one more point. If NSFW is set to be disabled on public listings the users can't see NSFW even if they're actively trying to do so. Let's say that a user browse to a friend's NSFW album. As NSFW content is set to not show he can't see any images once he click the album (despite the album cover showing NSFW freely).

If I try to solve this by enabling NSFW on public listings they become able to see NSFW freely when they want, but features as search, random and explore will become quite unusable at any public locations.

But look, I'd like to apologize if it's too much. I understand only the basics of PHP and such and perhaps I'm failing to see that my idea is unreasonable or too difficult to implant in comparison to it's benefits.

I mean that is too much in the way that the request is pretty weird.

I don't think it's weird. If you have many users maybe some don't like to see nsfw content, so an option to hide it (each user can choose what to do) would be good.
Maybe extend this to more advanced filtering options, let users choose what categories they are interested and display only images from those categories.

It depends on what kind of site you have too, if people browse through the pictures on the site then this is useful, but if people only use the site as an image host then it's kinda useless.

9gag has this, some torrents sites have this too.

@Rodolfo

Oh, got it. :p

@ChainKiller

That's exactly the case, mate. My Chevereto installation runs closely tied to a forum. Our users are highly splited on the matter.
Some users (like me) find it really terrific to have a system like Chevereto because we hold a myriad of images that we want to see again. That's where Chevereto 3.0+ shines. With it's neatly implementation of galleries, one can easily see old images and have a good time doing it.

The issues concerning NSFW are:

- With NSFW disabled on public listings
1) You will still have NSFW showing up in places like album covers' and on your personal page if you have uploaded any NSFW stuff entirely (on the last uploaded listing).
This can be solved partially with Rodolfo's idea of two accounts, but still requires a good amount of awareness for the user don't inadvertently entering an album section where some album cover might be made from NSFW thumbnails. On the end of the day, our users tend to avoid the image system entirely unless they're at home because of the risks involved with NSFW images and public spaces.

2) Users that do want to see NSFW on the imagem system aren't being able to do so because another users' album is considered an public listing and hence every image tagged as NSFW won't show up when you click to enter an album that contains them.

There are cases where one user uploads many NSFW images that he/she wants to share and when they send the link to other users no images are displayed within the album, even if it's a public one. The reason is that an album is considered a public listing and NSFW is disabled on them.

This leads to

- With NSFW enabled on public listings

This solves issue #2. Users now are able to see NSFW if they want to. But this causes:

1) It becomes increasingly complicated to access another users' profile beucase NSFW is now shown everywhere. If the user recently uploaded some NSFW image, it will be displayed on the "recent items" listing. Also, features as Explore, Search and Random becomes riddled with spicy pictures lol.

My proposal was mean't to find a solution without much compromises. That is: Permit NSFW content on the system but providing a really effective solution to those who don't want see it to be able to avoid it. And also improving the system so those who want to see NSFW are able to do that even if it's blocked on public listings.

On improvement that could help us immensely on the matter would be the ability create NSFW albuns. Those could be "red marked" albums that can only be seen if one user has specified that on it's own settings. Those albums could have a standard safe cover and would only show it's NSFW contents when clicked on. Also, it's contents should be able to be displayed even if the board has forbidden NSFW content to be displayed on public listings.

Another minor improvement would be a feature to prevent NSFW content to be displayed on major areas of your profile, as the "recently uploaded" unless you choose to see it

-

Well, but of course Rodolfo have been doing great things for Chevereto and is, rightfully, quite busy with it. I just wanted to share the thought. If this ideas could help more Chevereto users, so maybe it would be nice to give them a look for a future release. :)

I will add user options for NSFW that can be only used when global "not show NSFW in listings" is turned off.

Back