• Hey Guest, don't forget to VOTE on each RFC topic. Your voting determine Chevereto development! No votes, no development.
  • Welcome to the Chevereto user community!

Here users from all over the world gather around to learn the latest about Chevereto and contribute with ideas to improve the software.

Please keep in mind:

• 😌 This community is user driven. Be polite with other users.
    • 👉 Is required to purchase a Chevereto license to participate in this community (doesn't apply to Pre-sales).
    • 💸 Purchase a Pro Subscription to get access to active software support and faster ticket response times.

Image rotation

Gambalunga

💖 Chevereto Fan
Not all users are familiar with photo editing software. In fact that is one of the reasons I set up a Chevereto site: because I was able to set automatic image sizing for a suitable size to post in a forum.

Every so often a user will post an image that is rotated 90° away from what it should be. Below is an example.

20171001_120530.md.jpg

It really would be a nice option to have the ability to rotate images after they have been uploaded. "90° right" and "90° left" would be sufficient. I suspect this may mean editing the Exif but I don't know how Chevereto handles orientation.

System auto fix that thing if exif is working in your server ;)

System auto fix that thing if exif is working in your server ;)

I believe there is a problem with some cameras and mobile devices.

Below is the Exif data for the image in my post above. If you believe Exif is not working on the server please let me know and I will put in a support request at the hosting service.
  • original_exifdata
    {"FileName":"20171001_120530.jpg","FileDateTime":"1506868689","FileSize":"1835304","FileType":"2","MimeType":"image\/jpeg","SectionsFound":"ANY_TAG, IFD0, THUMBNAIL, EXIF","COMPUTED":{"html":"width=\"3024\" height=\"3024\"","Height":"3024","Width":"3024","IsColor":"1","ByteOrderMotorola":"0","ApertureFNumber":"f\/1.7","Thumbnail.FileType":"2","Thumbnail.MimeType":"image\/jpeg","Thumbnail.Height":"376","Thumbnail.Width":"376"},"ImageWidth":"3024","ImageLength":"3024","Make":"samsung","Model":"SM-G950F","Orientation":"6","XResolution":"72\/1","YResolution":"72\/1","ResolutionUnit":"2","Software":"G950FXXU1AQHE","DateTime":"2017:10:01 12:05:30","YCbCrPositioning":"1","Exif_IFD_Pointer":"226","THUMBNAIL":{"ImageWidth":"376","ImageLength":"376","Compression":"6","XResolution":"72\/1","YResolution":"72\/1","ResolutionUnit":"2","JPEGInterchangeFormat":"786","JPEGInterchangeFormatLength":"58446"},"ExposureTime":"1\/265","FNumber":"17\/10","ExposureProgram":"2","ISOSpeedRatings":"40","ExifVersion":"0220","DateTimeOriginal":"2017:10:01 12:05:30","DateTimeDigitized":"2017:10:01 12:05:30","MaxApertureValue":"153\/100","MeteringMode":"2","Flash":"0","FocalLength":"420\/100","ColorSpace":"1","ExifImageWidth":"3024","ExifImageLength":"3024","ExposureMode":"0","WhiteBalance":"0","FocalLengthIn35mmFilm":"26","SceneCaptureType":"0","ImageUniqueID":"F12LLJA00VM F12LLKG01GM\n"}
+1

What's the member talking about in my thread of the same topic? Edit tools are coming?
https://chevereto.com/community/threads/image-rotaion.8930

Yes. It is the same topic as in your thread. I did do a quick search but yours did not come up.

Cheers
Peter
Oops. I see there is a typo in the title of your thread. That is probably why it didn't come up in my search :D

Indeed, the exif parser should fix that image. Here, read this: https://beradrian.wordpress.com/2008/11/14/rotate-exif-images/ (6 means rotate 90º CW)

upload_2017-10-15_15-2-32.png

(The PHP function imagerotate works CCW, that's why the argument used is -90)

Try the demo, I've exif working there. You can also use this nifty tool: https://www.thexifer.net which will inject exif values that will help you when dealing with this.

I just downloaded the image you posted, added orientation 6 then uploaded it to Chevereto and the system fixed orientation automatically. Here, this is the image with Exif orientation 6 added (uploaded to this forum, but this forum cms doesn't fix exif)

Exif_orientation-6.jpg

And here is the same image but uploaded to demo.chevereto.com (autofixed exif).

Thanks. I will talk to the host.

By the way, I think the request is still valid. It is always possible that a user uploads an image that has lost its Exif data due to some editing software.

The whole point of tech is to avoid manual input and if you get exif working then you don't need any input and the system will do all auto. A manual workaround for these cases shouldn't be added, I mean a dedicated "rotate" button or something.

I believe that we need prior and post upload editing, but general editing/filters, not just rotate image.

I have had a reply from TMD Hosting to say that the Exif extension is installed.

After submitting the ticket I have been searching the database and found that nearly all images loaded with Exif orientation 6 are fine so it seems to be a problem with a particular user and may relate to his camera, a Samsung Galaxy S8 telephone, Model: SM-G950F. Perhaps he took the photos with the phone upside down or something strange.

I will correct those manually.

Thanks again.

You can easily check at cpanel php extensions / settings page. If that doesn't work, use a phpinfo file.

It was already installed. It seems all the photos effected were made on a Samsung Galaxy S8. A search on the internet shows that other site administrators have also indicated that they have had problems with Samsung photos.

There were only about 8 photos involved and I downloaded them (all sizes), rotated them, and uploaded them again. Where necessary I also swapped the height and width in the database using phpmyadmin.

All other photos that I could find had rotated correctly.

I had an user tell me today that some of his images weren't oriented correctly after upload...I enabled exif in my dashboard and it fixed my user's issue.

Thanks

Exif must be enabled in your PHP php.ini. The thing that you control in Chevereto is if the Exif data will be removed or not (and if the users can choose how to handle that data).

Back