• Welcome to the Chevereto user community!

Here users from all over the world gather around to learn the latest about Chevereto and contribute with ideas to improve the software.

Please keep in mind:

• 😌 This community is user driven. Be polite with other users.
    • 👉 Is required to purchase a Chevereto license to participate in this community (doesn't apply to Pre-sales).
    • 💸 Purchase a Pro Subscription to get access to active software support and faster ticket response times.

How Chevereto handles filename conflict?

mkerala

👽 Chevereto Freak
I know chevereto automatically handle filename conflict by adding some extra character to the file. However, recently I migrated to a IIS based FTP server for external storage and getting email alert for upload failed.

When I try to upload the affected file manually, it already exists in the storage and checking database also shows file already exists for another image uploaded few months back. So I am wondering why Chevereto tried to upload the image with the same name again? I understand this worked perfectly fine when I was using Linux FTP servers.

Does chevereto expect some type of response from FTP server to handle the file name conflict in external storage?

Storage::getStorageValidFilename

Based on the already know names, it creates a new available name. Of course, I never make it to work in non-case sensitive systems as Windows which could explain your issues.

Why the hell people use Windows servers anyway? Please stop.

Thanks. I think that's the issue. Checking the existing files they are case difference.

I used Linux servers for over 4 years for storing files. Having a lot of issues when no: of files in a folder goes too high. This ranges from SFTP connection breaking, FTP listing takes hours and finally serving load hitting 100 making service unavailable. Might be down to how the server is configured, but I tried everything and fed up with it.

Same no: of files on Windows with IIS works like a charm. My personal experience Windows is handling large no: of files with ease and FTP connections are fast and stable while server barely uses 5% CPU. Also looking at recent benchmarks, IIS outperforms Nginx for static files.

I am using IIS/Windows for just for the external storage server. My chevereto installation webserver and DB are running on a Ubuntu. I had to learn Linux 4 years back just for Chevereto and I am happy I learned it.

IIS outperforms Nginx for static files.

🤣 No it doesn't, just one thread here https://serverfault.com/questions/2...erformance-for-static-content-apache-lighty-i
I'm with Rodolfo on this you will have nothing but trouble on Windows, then you will get hacked.

What setup are you using on Linux to have problems with? OS? how are you installing the webserver?

I used windows for years and years and when I discovered Chevereto I discovered Linux, will never go back!

🤣 No it doesn't, just one thread here https://serverfault.com/questions/2...erformance-for-static-content-apache-lighty-i
I'm with Rodolfo on this you will have nothing but trouble on Windows, then you will get hacked.

What setup are you using on Linux to have problems with? OS? how are you installing the webserver?

I used windows for years and years and when I discovered Chevereto I discovered Linux, will never go back!
Just google IIS vs Nginx benchmark. Every single test anyone has performed IIS is fastest by a good margin. It was the common perception Windows IIS was slow and less secure. However, recent years IIS and Windows have improved a lot.

I migrated away from Windows IIS 4 years back when I started chevereto and it was a good decision. IIS was not good at handling PHP nor windows for MySql. However, now decided to put to test how Windows are good at handling large volume of files which I am having so much trouble lately.

My setup involves 4 virtual Ubuntu servers, one for webserver hosting just Chevereto site and another for MYSQL database. The other two are file servers used for external storage running Nginx. I have migrated one to Windows IIS for testing. So far getting good results. Fixed above issue by enabling case sensitive files which windows now supports.

The main concern of the Windows platform is how the thing actually works. I won't argument in how bad it is because that's something that you have to learn on your own and I won't be surprised if IIS is always faster, I mean, try to think why in the earth it is faster and you won't be able to relate it with better software, it is just because it does less stuff.

FTP got supported in Chevereto just because you can get it everywhere, but the protocol is very outdated. Also, you will always find FTP faster than anything else because is all unsafe. SCP and SFTP use SSL which makes everything slower (but safer).

Back