• Welcome to the Chevereto user community!

Here users from all over the world gather around to learn the latest about Chevereto and contribute with ideas to improve the software.

Please keep in mind:

• ๐Ÿ˜Œ This community is user driven. Be polite with other users.
    • ๐Ÿ‘‰ Is required to purchase a Chevereto license to participate in this community (doesn't apply to Pre-sales).
    • ๐Ÿ’ธ Purchase a Pro Subscription to get access to active software support and faster ticket response times.
  • Chevereto Support CLST

Support response

Support checklist

• โš ๏ธ Got a Something went wrong message? Read this guide and provide the actual error. Do not skip this.
    • โœ… Confirm that the server meets the System Requirements
    • ๐Ÿ”ฅ Check for any available Hotfix - your issue could be already reported/fixed
    • ๐Ÿ“š Read documentation - It will be required to Debug and understand Errors for a faster support response

hosting images in centos server

R

rinku2012

Hello,

All these days i am using cpanel as my images server. going forward i dont want to pay for cpanel license for my main server.
Can someone help me here on how to create images server ?
I will be purchasing a server form datacentre with centos 6 or 7. After i get the server, what steps should i follow to host the images on it ?

My site setup is as below

Server A: Main site hosted with Cpanel installed ( i will use this as main server and cpanel in it)
Created subdomain called img, img1, img2
Server B: IMG Server with cpanel installed. After installing cpanel, i have created subdomain img and created ftp so that path ( /home/public_html/img/)
Server C: IMG1 Server with cpanel installed. After installing cpanel, i have created subdomain img1 and created ftp so that path ( /home/public_html/img1/)
Server D: IMG2 Server with cpanel installed. After installing cpanel, i have created subdomain img2 and created ftp so that path ( /home/public_html/img2/)

I want to remove the cpanel and reinstall the server. can someone please help me on how to setup images on the images server so that i can save cpanel license cost

Hello,

All these days i am using cpanel as my images server. going forward i dont want to pay for cpanel license for my main server.
Can someone help me here on how to create images server ?
I will be purchasing a server form datacentre with centos 6 or 7. After i get the server, what steps should i follow to host the images on it ?

My site setup is as below

Server A: Main site hosted with Cpanel installed ( i will use this as main server and cpanel in it)
Created subdomain called img, img1, img2
Server B: IMG Server with cpanel installed. After installing cpanel, i have created subdomain img and created ftp so that path ( /home/public_html/img/)
Server C: IMG1 Server with cpanel installed. After installing cpanel, i have created subdomain img1 and created ftp so that path ( /home/public_html/img1/)
Server D: IMG2 Server with cpanel installed. After installing cpanel, i have created subdomain img2 and created ftp so that path ( /home/public_html/img2/)

I want to remove the cpanel and reinstall the server. can someone please help me on how to setup images on the images server so that i can save cpanel license cost

You're asking for us to ell you how to run a sever. How familiar are you with Linux, and CentOS? You understand that there is NO gui admin right? That it's completely command line?

You need to have a knowledge of linux to be able to even do this.

Why don't you start and install php, apache, and mysql... then all of the server configured and ask us specific questions...

If you want to know how to do it from scratch... Just google 'setting up a lamp server centos'

@SirMoo i am aware of this concepts. i am professionally an system admin for windows. i am into this sites from past 12 years. but all these days i used to have cpanel in it.
i am aware of installing LAMP. my question here is can i do as mentioned below ?

install centos 7, install apache and then host the files under a /home folder
can i connect to this server using sftp from chevereto admin panel or do i need to do anything else from my end ?

@Rodolfo i will look into the server pilot

Your image servers just need SSH installed - then you can connect from your main server to your image servers via sFTP.

i am aware of this concepts. i am professionally an system admin for windows. i am into this sites from past 12 years. but all these days i used to have cpanel in it.
i am aware of installing LAMP. my question here is can i do as mentioned below ?
Then, no. I don't see a problem with what you're attempting to do. As long as you know how to work apache and set up subdomains without cpanel love then you should be fine.

I personally use Ubuntu for my server, but this is a personal preference. Find an OS you want to actually get the feel of and use.

Hello,

i have installed a sample Demo Centos 6.7 server with only SSH. i have configured the main site in Server A and all images in Server B.

on Server A i have cpanel installed and created a subdomain called img

on Server B, I have created a folder images under /home folder ( /home/images). i have given Path, Server Ip, userid, password, storage capacity and url
i see images are being uploaded to ftp but website is not coming up. when i enter img.websitename.com its not working
Do i need to have apache installed on Server B ?
one more issue i am seeing is images are getting uploaded bit slow via sftp protocol.

how should i overcome both these issues

Hello,

i have installed a sample Demo Centos 6.7 server with only SSH. i have configured the main site in Server A and all images in Server B.

on Server A i have cpanel installed and created a subdomain called img

on Server B, I have created a folder images under /home folder ( /home/images). i have given Path, Server Ip, userid, password, storage capacity and url
i see images are being uploaded to ftp but website is not coming up. when i enter img.websitename.com its not working

Yes, apache will be need to be installed as there is no public facing system naturally.

In your example you've been using /home but that's not correct and I'm sorry for not pointing that out. Home is for user accounts on the box. So... on my local box is /home/sirmoo/Desktop or Documents or whatever...

In apache I believe it's /var/www/... https://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.4/urlmapping.html

To be clear, each box you want needs to have Apache and the subdomain needs to be configured and pointing to that box and the proper folders. /var/www/public_html for each box will do.

In terms of SFTP speed... I believe it's because of the encryption process that SFTP will be dramatically slower than FTP... I think there are hard core technical work arounds... But I can't speak to them directly. http://stackoverflow.com/questions/...-a-file-through-sftp-it-takes-longer-than-ftp

Don't use Apache2 - just install NGINX, because the webserver has just to handle static files (images) and it's much faster then Apache2 and of course, it's use less RAM and CPU ...

Here a sample NGINX conf:

Code:
server {
  listen 80;
  listen 443 ssl http2;
  listen [::]:443 ssl http2;
  ssl_certificate /your/path/to/fullchain.pem;
  ssl_certificate_key /your/path/to/privkey.pem;
  ssl_session_cache shared:SSL:20m;
  ssl_session_timeout 60m;
  ssl_prefer_server_ciphers on;
  ssl_ciphers ECDH+AESGCM:ECDH+AES256:ECDH+AES128:DH+3DES:!ADH:!AECDH:!MD5;
  ssl_dhparam /etc/nginx/cert/dhparam.pem;
  ssl_protocols TLSv1 TLSv1.1 TLSv1.2;
  add_header Strict-Transport-Security "max-age=31536000" always;
  server_name your.subdomain.for.your.image.server.domain;
  access_log /home/storage/access.log;
  error_log /home/storage/error.log;
  location / {
    expires 90d;
    root /home/storage/;
  }
}

or if your don't want to use SSL:

Code:
server {
  listen 80;
  server_name your.subdomain.for.your.image.server.domain;
  access_log /home/storage/access.log;
  error_log /home/storage/error.log;
  location / {
    expires 90d;
    root /home/storage/;
  }
}

Hi Bee,

Thanks a lot for the configuration file. i have installed Centos 6.7 with SSH, Nginx and VsFTP using the command line. its working fine as of now.

do u want me to blindly follow the code which u have given in the above post for nginx ? or are there any parameters where i can modify for more better output ?
I see that sftp is very slow in transfer. is there any way that i can make it fast during upload ?

when i installed cpanel all the files are under username when i type ls-ltr . Shall i change it to root or any username ?

or are there any parameters where i can modify for more better output ?
You'll need to change all of the paths.

NEVER use root account for things. You should always run things under sub accounts. Linux security 101 is that each program that runs should be under a non-root user.

For what u install VsFTP?

There are many things u can optimize - depends on your server and hardware.
I have on all of my servers and projects SSL activated and also my servers are dedicated servers, no VServer, so my config is a little bit different to "normal" configs.

Here a few links for optimize NGINX - but u should have a little bit experience into system configurations:

https://www.nginx.com/blog/tuning-nginx/
https://www.digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/how-to-optimize-nginx-configuration
https://gist.github.com/denji/8359866

Good luck ...

Bee,

thanks for the links. i will go through the links and will let u know if i have any questions. i have installed vsftp for FTP login to the images server. as i mentioned in my above post sftp is very slow

what is the alternative method of sftp. i see that uploading pics via sftp is very very slow to my server. how do i install any ftp software, create users and point them to a folder

what is the alternative method of sftp
FTP. Which doesn't have the security of SFTP.

You create a normal user account for CentOS then just point him to the folder. This is pretty basic linux stuff so any guide on it that you find and like will do...

If you want to stick to the GUI feel, but do it without the cpanel license you could install Webmin

http://www.webmin.com/rpm.html

It has modules for all of the major things you will need like ProFTPd/vsFTPd FTP servers, Apache/NGINX, MySQL/MariaDB etc.

Most things can be manipulated using point and click, with access to the main config files if you need them. Importantly, most of the PHP variables can be altered with point and click too, so you don't have to go digging around in the php.ini to tweak your setup.

It's also open source :)

Back