• Welcome to the Chevereto user community!

Here users from all over the world gather around to learn the latest about Chevereto and contribute with ideas to improve the software.

Please keep in mind:

• 😌 This community is user driven. Be polite with other users.
    • 👉 Is required to purchase a Chevereto license to participate in this community (doesn't apply to Pre-sales).
    • 💸 Purchase a Pro Subscription to get access to active software support and faster ticket response times.

Here is the deal

P

picstash

Ive been waiting for chevo 2.0 for quiet a while, i was about to purchase it this morning before i realised the following " no user system has been coded yet" seriously i have a friend who can code a user system within 3hours (he has done it on v1), Its very important for an image host script to have an user system, there are loads of free script such as imagevine which has an user system. If you can code an user system il buy it asap, not trying to bash you or anything i really like your script, but i dont want to pay for something which is not giving us the futures which an free script offers.

I can also code a user system in 30minutes. It's not a hard work when you have a ideal setup like the one that I have on this server.

The issue is the compatibility.

This is because I can easy make an user system, admin system, plugin system, etc. But here we deal with a lot of different setups, different mysql version, postgree, php, apache, etc. So the issue gets more hard to make, I can't just tell to the users "hey, get a real server then back here". Since 2.0 the goal is to achieve the maximum server compatibility and yet be a good script in terms of error handling, usage, etc.

So, if I just rush and make features like a moron without even test and bench every single line I will be giving to you a bad product with a lot of flaws, then a lot of bugs, etc.

I know that there are scripts that in the paper do a lot more than Chevereto but I'm trying to create a good thing, and this kind of things takes time. That's why the license is lifetime and you get also lifetime support... If you think that these things don't worth the money then is pretty simple.. Buy it when you see that it will be good for you.

I also know that this lack of features also affect my sales, I know that I could sell a lot more if the script has more "papers" but that doesn't really matters to me. My goal is make a really good thing, no matter that if it means that I will not earn a lot of money on this stage.

I know where your coming from but if you want your script to work with everything its impossible, php, apache changes when there are vunrebilties and most hosts have the latest version and people with their own dedi can easily upgrade, if you want it so it works with everything then your only option is to make it the script how it is which will not attract any serious image hosts since it simply doesnt offer what an image host needs. But i like your concept about checking for bugs etc. When the day comes where you offer such features you will see me with an copy of the script and the 30 dollars in your account

Well here is more feedback, I dont know one shared hosting provider which allows an image host, those once stated on the announcment will ban the site using such the script asap because its an violation of their tos, People running an imagehost should get an vps atleast, and if there are hosts which dont upgrade their stuff, its probably run by kids because any proffesional host will keep their stuff updated and if there are hosts which allows image host "god save their customers" image hosts use alot of resources and will ruin the experiences of other people hosted on the same server (if there is such an host its probably run by an 13 year old kid loooking to get an buck). And most of us here have an dedi so installing the latests updates is not a big deal.

I'm not saying that my goal is for instance support apache v1, the goal is support nginx, apache and lighttpd.
And also, support MySQL, Postgree, MySQLi, etc.

That is because you may know that mysql is not the ideal thing to use on a large site. Also, I want to support APC or other types of caching.

So, the thing is that you need a lot of benching, a lot of test, a lot of reading also. To give you an example. Curl was used instead of file_get_contents after a lot of test and real benchmarks. Stand alone benchmarks and in script benchmarks. That leads to the election of curl.

The same thing happens with all the libs and functions, they are really tested and tested. Even in loops or other small things the script is improved over and over... So, apache has mod rewrite, nginx and other servers don't understand it so it must be worked out... The way that the servers handles the "php" may be the same, but you can't assume that something that works on apache will work on the same way on other server. It just doesn't work that way.

By the way, the script pretends to be used from the small personal usage to the large image hosting site. So, you must support shared environments because there is people who just want their own personal image hosting (it was the Chevereto's punch line since the beginning)... And the number of people who want this for personal or reduced usage like for their own community or website is huge, way more than the people who wants to use this as a large script for image hosting.

In fact, in the roadmap the last stages aims to the large production site. A large site does also need improved server configs, highly tested and optimized... Don't be surprised if you see in the future a "Chevereto Pro" release because the work that is needed to be made is quite huge and you are dealing with thousands and you need to re-tune the server model to make it fit all your needs.

Don't think that a VPS is just the top of the top and that with one of them you are OK, mostly VPS won't be able to handle a large production image hosting website.

Definetely vps is not the top of the top but i included "atleast" as in for a small site. I personally use an dedi, but for the people using shared hosting, get out of it unless you want your site suspended. Looking forward for this pro version if you ever have time for it , but i guess il give chevo an miss for now til i see something spectacular and if your going to make it work with nginx , apache and lighttpd full then so be it but most people use apache with nginx

It was a nice little debate, i admire you as an coder but i feel that your trying to hard for something which is not needed.

And good luck with your sales
Kind Regards

I'm trying to make something near perfection, that is always hard.

Why not take the middle road and create a simple user system that is optional through plugins?

Why to use mysql, we got .txt files which can be called simple via file_get_contents to check user content ...

just make folder to store users like folder /users/ in can be user1.txt, user2.txt and protected via .htaccess "deny from all"

in user1.txt can be stored pass, username, stored images (number) etc.

Simple :)

Miro said:
Why to use mysql, we got .txt files which can be called simple via file_get_contents to check user content ...

just make folder to store users like folder /users/ in can be user1.txt, user2.txt and protected via .htaccess "deny from all"

in user1.txt can be stored pass, username, stored images (number) etc.

Simple :)

Well yeah Miro it is simple, but txt files aren't binary, like database, so the website when reach 500 + members will be really slow...
Also, if you simply want users this is a very simple solution, but what happens when you want to allow users to do certain actions, like a wall to post comments? Do you add another txt file in the users/ name something like user-wall.txt ... again the site will go slower and we are simply just talking about a wall integration, if you want to add like/dislike images, comments on images, images categories... the website will take for ever to load.

Also the advantage of database is that you can make multiple request, like when an user post in the wall, instead of saving the user name, you save his ID (identification number) so when you make the request to the database, you simply use the id, to retrieve multiple information of on a user... doing something similar using txt files or xml is really really slow, because both can be search in binary.

Back