• Welcome to the Chevereto user community!

Here users from all over the world gather around to learn the latest about Chevereto and contribute with ideas to improve the software.

Please keep in mind:

• 😌 This community is user driven. Be polite with other users.
    • 👉 Is required to purchase a Chevereto license to participate in this community (doesn't apply to Pre-sales).
    • 💸 Purchase a Pro Subscription to get access to active software support and faster ticket response times.

Future Image Format Support

ashkir

👽 Chevereto Freak
Will Chevereto support this brand new format? The answer is... Likely no. Why? Because, it has no support. Chevereto's goal is to support the globally supported image formats. Right now that is .png, .gif, .jpg, .jpeg, and .bmp. These are universally supported by every browser and device, and image library without a hiccup.

The new Internet Explorer is... Safari. Apple has been extraordinary stubborn about adding new things except for their own patents.

Now, here's the likelihood of the newest web formats:

WebP - likely
WebP is owned by Google, but it's open for the Web to use. Apple is the only major provider refusing to support this. https://caniuse.com/#search=webp Nearly all green. In Safari, there are "fallback" scripts on many modern image hosts including imgur that shows a .jpg instead for safari users. Also CDNs like bunnycdn already support this natively.

TIF / TIFF - Likely
.tif is the industry standard for all North American schools and document scanning default. I work in imaging for a living. .tif is the most common format we have, and clients want. It is the only image format I've seen supported by some of the biggest hospitals. They don't support .jpg, etc, they want .tif. This has support in Microsoft, Firefox, Chrome, Safari, Opera, Android, Blackberry, and Chrome. https://caniuse.com/#search=tif

HEIF - Extremely unlikely
Not even Apple supports their own image format. All red. https://caniuse.com/#search=heif

RAW - Not happening
Only Apple and Blackberry support this. https://caniuse.com/#search=raw

JP2 - Not happening
Only Apple supports this. https://caniuse.com/#feat=jpeg2000

HEIC - Not happening
No support by anyone. https://caniuse.com/#search=heic

NEF - Not happening
No support by anyone.

PSD - Not happening
Really big file type. IT'd be awesome to offer it as a "download" and show a .jpg preview. But, I don't think this will ever happen.

I think the issue with a lot of the different file formats is Chevereto would need to than convert previews for use for quick viewing, and when many people are on browser which don't support viewing of these formats, they're prompted for a download, even when it's embedded if I remmeber correctly.

I think the issue with a lot of the different file formats is Chevereto would need to than convert previews for use for quick viewing, and when many people are on browser which don't support viewing of these formats, they're prompted for a download, even when it's embedded if I remmeber correctly.
The support of a given format depends on the client device and on web we will get the issues you mention. One of the ways to achieve a solution is with an image server, which is already planned. This image server could be used in such way that allows clients to indicate the formats supported and the server does all the conversion, cache and future deliveries.

Of course that web is the first thing we could think about, but since Chevereto V4 is going headless, this extends for any given device or context. For example, someone could need just RAW support and deliver their pictures as gallery embedded in a TV application.

As for the standard formats mentioned in the first post, I think that most of them will be added by default (and many more) if the image server can provide us the flexibility needed here.

The support of a given format depends on the client device and on web we will get the issues you mention. One of the ways to achieve a solution is with an image server, which is already planned. This image server could be used in such way that allows clients to indicate the formats supported and the server does all the conversion, cache and future deliveries.

Of course that web is the first thing we could think about, but since Chevereto V4 is going headless, this extends for any given device or context. For example, someone could need just RAW support and deliver their pictures as gallery embedded in a TV application.

As for the standard formats mentioned in the first post, I think that most of them will be added by default (and many more) if the image server can provide us the flexibility needed here.

That would be nice. I'm specifically looking at TIF support. I know you mentioned back in 2015 you had no plans for it, but it's 2019 and TIF is used routinely in the industry. I think Chevereto should focus on being a "image host" rather than a niche image host for web like the hundred of options out there. Options available to artists are very far and few between, and those that do allow their level of quality in PNG or TIFF form do not allow hotlinking as they're portfolios, not serving hosts.

2015 was several years ago, the panorama was different. TIF should be supported.

I think Chevereto should focus on being a "image host" rather than a niche image host for web like the hundred of options out there.
My mood around what Chevereto is has varied, but the main goal is the same: To provide a system that allows anyone to share images.

In particular, my vision is that Chevereto needs to be a hub, a hackable and heavy customizable system where we can create without hassles or limits. Where we can either sell photos, provide hosting services, build a niche website, provide services for other applications, etc.

I think that the key point is to don't use labels, I did it in the past and I just wanted to share it with you.

Can we self-host the image server? I do self-host have an image server that also does dynamic sizing (with fancy deep learning enlarging library) and smart cropping face detection for another project instead of relying on some third party like kraken.io.

Hi @Checkmate, I agree.

I do believe that an image server is mandatory for V4 as the application is heavily limited due to the lack of this and we have experienced several issues already:
  • Storage space is filled with extra image sizes (thumb and medium)
  • Extra image sizes are fixed, you can't get a custom size on the fly
  • Watermarks are placed on the final image, it is impossible to re-watermark
  • Images are delivered "as-is", no actual access stats, no acl
  • Image URLs aren't centralized (external storage)
An image server will address these issues and it will make the software ✨.

Hi @Checkmate, I agree.

I do believe that an image server is mandatory for V4 as the application is heavily limited due to the lack of this and we have experienced several issues already:
  • Storage space is filled with extra image sizes (thumb and medium)
  • Extra image sizes are fixed, you can't get a custom size on the fly
  • Watermarks are placed on the final image, it is impossible to re-watermark
  • Images are delivered "as-is", no actual access stats, no acl
  • Image URLs aren't centralized (external storage)
An image server will address these issues and it will make the software ✨.
Love it!

Back