• Welcome to the Chevereto user community!

Here users from all over the world gather around to learn the latest about Chevereto and contribute with ideas to improve the software.

Please keep in mind:

• 😌 This community is user driven. Be polite with other users.
    • 👉 Is required to purchase a Chevereto license to participate in this community (doesn't apply to Pre-sales).
    • 💸 Purchase a Pro Subscription to get access to active software support and faster ticket response times.

Chevereto now available at Docker Hub

Would love paid pre-build. Having to rebuild myself is making me procrastinate quite a bit on getting up to date with the newest bug fixes.

I would love if the build steps (since this is required for a paid license) weren't hidden behind a Makefile. there seems to be a lot of assumptions made for the deployment that i don't really want, with no clear instructions as to how to avoid them, e.g. let's encrypt and cloudflare. any chance we can just have simple steps for a containerized deployment? a docker deploy is great, but what if users want a k8s deployment? ideally step-wise instructions for the build and deploy process (included but not required add-ons would be fine, so long as they're clearly defined as such) would be far preferred to hiding everything behind make <task>, make <another task>, etc..

Would you consider making containerized deployments easier and more compatible for your paid users?

I mean, i get that this is your repo (so it feels safe from the owner's perspective). You call this "Pure Docker", but still require users to run a shell script ahead of the build. I'd like to just avoid all of the excess and simply pass my license into a docker build -f /path/to/dockerfile <context> command, and let it build the image that I'd like to use. I'd really rather not have to sift through additional code each time I'd like to build a new version of the container. Does that make sense?

Code:
VERSION=4.0 \
IMAGE_NAME=chevereto \
./scripts/system/chevereto.sh \ # <-- how is this "pure docker"?
docker build . \
    --cache-from ghcr.io/chevereto/chevereto \
    --network host \
    -f Dockerfile

Please don't take this as ungrateful... i really appreciate this software and all of the hard work that you've put into it. Your solution for this deployment is clearly thought out as well, I would really just prefer a "pure" docker build solution, similar to any other webapp that provides a containerized solution. I can (and probably will) pick apart your shell script, as it seems to simply be downloading the software to package, making use of the license key. It seems pretty straightforward to handle all of this in the Dockerfile itself, no?

I may put a little time into this over the weekend... if I come up with a solution to handle FREE and PAID builds with the Dockerfile alone, would you accept a user contribution?

The shell script simply provides a cli interface for downloading and extracting the software, when done it detects the version string and generates 3 tags which forwards to the docker build command.

The Dockerfile builds with whatever is present in the /chevereto folder.

Building by passing the license key has the caveat that it can't be a build argument because that doesn't support secrets. For passing secrets on build the alternative is to use secret mounts.

Another issue of downloading the software at image layer is that you lost the ability to build a docker image for a customized Chevereto (as altering the source code). The new "no shell script" implementation should be able to keep that feature and on top enable to pass the key and pick the source code based on that.

Feel free to contribute, the chevereto/docker project is Open Source.

Back