• Welcome to the Chevereto user community!

Here users from all over the world gather around to learn the latest about Chevereto and contribute with ideas to improve the software.

Please keep in mind:

• 😌 This community is user driven. Be polite with other users.
    • 👉 Is required to purchase a Chevereto license to participate in this community (doesn't apply to Pre-sales).
    • 💸 Purchase a Pro Subscription to get access to active software support and faster ticket response times.

Banned from CloudFlare - Image Hosting against ToS

Agreed. I have a plan B just in case. I heard back from Cloudflare. My use of it for non HTML is legal because I use a PAID cloud flare account.
The terms change if you are using a paid service to this “Service that permits developers to deploy and run encapsulated versions of their proprietary software source code (each a “Workers Script”) on Cloudflare’s edge servers. You may use Cloudflare Workers (whether in conjunction with Cloudflare Workers KV or not) to serve HTML content as well as non-HTML content (e.g., image files, audio files) other than video files.”

Agreed. I have a plan B just in case. I heard back from Cloudflare. My use of it for non HTML is legal because I use a PAID cloud flare account.
The terms change if you are using a paid service to this “Service that permits developers to deploy and run encapsulated versions of their proprietary software source code (each a “Workers Script”) on Cloudflare’s edge servers. You may use Cloudflare Workers (whether in conjunction with Cloudflare Workers KV or not) to serve HTML content as well as non-HTML content (e.g., image files, audio files) other than video files.”

I don't know why you're going on about "paid paid paid", as if I got banned because I didn't pay? *face palms*

I somehow doubt they said outright you're fine simply because you're on a paid plan. In fact I went onto their chat as an anonymous user, I asked whether I can host images and my usage per month was around 3TB. The sales chat rep not knowing who I am (as i was on a VPN and using an anonymous browser) said no, they too suggested I would have to take up an enterprise solution.

If, just if they did say you're ok - then you're just lucky depending on who you spoke to or your usage is very minimal.

I also visited your website, it requires registration. So if anybody did visit your website they will just see a login page, it wouldn't be apparent that it's an image hosting website, although mine allows free image hosting.

My challenge to you and anybody else, simply head over to Cloudflare when their chat is live and simply ask the rep whether you can store image files for sharing, non HTML content and your usage per month is 3TB per month.

Their terms require you to pay for a KV license for non-HTML content which is why I do.

I already do a few TB a month.

First of all I am not using chevereto, and my image hosting site using the cheapest plan of cloudflare, my site got banned too without warning in the early of this year, after communication, they told me I should join enterprise / wait around 7days to see if the bandwidth is back to normal then reactive my account, and my site over 10PB bandwidth per month, then I blocked the one big country to reduce my traffic, and after 7days my account was reactive, and keep using now, currently the bandwidth around x PB per month. I think I should have a plan B, but still not idea.

First of all I am not using chevereto, and my image hosting site using the cheapest plan of cloudflare, my site got banned too without warning in the early of this year, after communication, they told me I should join enterprise / wait around 7days to see if the bandwidth is back to normal then reactive my account, and my site over 10PB bandwidth per month, then I blocked the one big country to reduce my traffic, and after 7days my account was reactive, and keep using now, currently the bandwidth around x PB per month. I think I should have a plan B, but still not idea.

Interestingly, I just logged onto cloudflare, I see 1 of my other photography website is still active. However the site they had blocked has been removed off the account completely. If I try adding any other domain to my account I get the following error message:

"Sorry, you are not allowed to create new zones. Please contact support."

I have emailed them again, lets see what they say.

10PB that's huge. How much you pay Cloudflare

Unless you pay them above $3000 for their enterprise plan they are going to kick you out at some point. I was expecting it for many years and had my plan B ready. (What they asked me was $15K for 200TB per month.)

From the start, I knew Cloudflare free "unlimited" was too good to be true. I did some research here and on the internet and came across many similar stories. What I understood was they tend to target big fish like us who stream above 100TB. Yet it took them almost 3 years to catch me until I hot 200TB per month.

From a Cloudflare point, giving away 200TB for free is not feasible especially on a worldwide CDN network. It is just a marketing tactic to get as many users as possible hooked up and get their website to succeed. Then they get leverage to ask the Ransome when you have no other option.

10PB that's huge. How much you pay Cloudflare

Unless you pay them above $3000 for their enterprise plan they are going to kick you out at some point. I was expecting it for many years and had my plan B ready. (What they asked me was $15K for 200TB per month.)

From the start, I knew Cloudflare free "unlimited" was too good to be true. I did some research here and on the internet and came across many similar stories. What I understood was they tend to target big fish like us who stream above 100TB. Yet it took them almost 3 years to catch me until I hot 200TB per month.

From a Cloudflare point, giving away 200TB for free is not feasible especially on a worldwide CDN network. It is just a marketing tactic to get as many users as possible hooked up and get their website to succeed. Then they get leverage to ask the Ransome when you have no other option.

I just using their pro plan, and after reactive, I switched to free plan and keep running now. The enterprise price is based on the traffic, the price make me scary!

Honestly the only way forward is by selling subscriptions.... this may allow us to afford some decent CDN services even if it's $200.

One day i dream of my subscriptions sky rocketing, then and only then maybe i can afford the $15k or $3k a month enterprise plan!

As it has been mentioned many times already, they CloudFlare are cunning, they reel you in for free and then hold you hostage!

Honestly the only way forward is by selling subscriptions.... this may allow us to afford some decent CDN services even if it's $200.

One day i dream of my subscriptions sky rocketing, then and only then maybe i can afford the $15k or $3k a month enterprise plan!

As it has been mentioned many times already, they CloudFlare are cunning, they reel you in for free and then hold you hostage!
The big problem, we aren’t content site, the profit from ads is very less, so we can’t afford the price of enterprise :/

The big problem, we aren’t content site, the profit from ads is very less, so we can’t afford the price of enterprise :/

Currently my income are 60% from providing api to business site, 20% from ads, 20% from donation, if I stop public service, I have profit!!! The free public service used a lot traffic.

Honestly the only way forward is by selling subscriptions.
Subscriptions are mandatory, the 100% free services that emerged years back are on a slow death. There's no way in which you can run a profitable business around traffic + ads anymore. Also, it is a very bad ecosystem when a company like Google is in charge of driving the organic traffic that generates clicks on the ads that they choose to show. It is a viced business.

Subscriptions have caveats in our context. As the software is accessible for anyone, everybody will be competing with service provisioning costs and not only you will compete against other installations, but service providers where *anyone* could self-host the software. Subscriptions are basically retailing, you buy services in bulk then just re-sell and make a profit. I believe that it is an unfair model where those with deep pockets will always have a notorious advantage, so I will provide a content subscriptions layer to empower content creators and let them find the monetization alternatives. If your users makes money then all of us make money, that's the only way to reinvigorate our servicing and defeat the whales by making money directly from the end-user.

Cloudflare responded to me. I am within their terms for use because my use is acceptable via the KV terms.

Do we really need a CDN? What I feel is with CDN your site loads in say 300ms and without CDS it takes 600ms. But does it really matter? There are 100 other things that could slow your site down. I am without CDN for about 6 months now and I don't feel my site has slowed. In fact, I feel it is a bit faster especially with uploads now that it doesn't have to go to CDN then origin server.

If you have a good server with high capacity that's enough to run any site. Its all down to how good your infra and optimized your site is.

Do we really need a CDN? What I feel is with CDN your site loads in say 300ms and without CDS it takes 600ms. But does it really matter? There are 100 other things that could slow your site down. I am without CDN for about 6 months now and I don't feel my site has slowed. In fact, I feel it is a bit faster especially with uploads now that it doesn't have to go to CDN then origin server.

If you have a good server with high capacity that's enough to run any site. Its all down to how good your infra and optimized your site is.
Honestly we don't really need a CDN. I could easily make a masking service and use my storage server's bandwidth. However, since I am in a bandwidth alliance provider with CloudFlare I just use it for a benefit for my site.

If you use a KV worker you're allowed to store/serve an image up to 10 MB per worker instance :). No other restrictions, even if you're a majority non-HTML site.

Honestly we don't really need a CDN. I could easily make a masking service and use my storage server's bandwidth. However, since I am in a bandwidth alliance provider with CloudFlare I just use it for a benefit for my site.

If you use a KV worker you're allowed to store/serve an image up to 10 MB per worker instance :). No other restrictions, even if you're a majority non-HTML site.

When I try to turn off cloudflare, my site was crashed by many connection, is there have any idea to prevent this problem?

These connections are someone uploaded some ads banner and then hotlink to their site, and these site maybe have a lot traffic / spam bot. Even I delete the photo, the log showing these photo keep access with 404.

When I try to turn off cloudflare, my site was crashed by many connection, is there have any idea to prevent this problem?

These connections are someone uploaded some ads banner and then hotlink to their site, and these site maybe have a lot traffic / spam bot. Even I delete the photo, the log showing these photo keep access with 404.

You need to optimize your server to handle more connections. If you are running Nginx, it has a connection limit of 10K, you can increase this in config. Also, you can limit bandwidth for hotlinked images.

You need to optimize your server to handle more connections. If you are running Nginx, it has a connection limit of 10K, you can increase this in config. Also, you can limit bandwidth for hotlinked images.

This idea look good! Thank you very much! I will try it.
First time to see this config, but I think this config is not working when using CDN?

This idea look good! Thank you very much! I will try it.
First time to see this config, but I think this config is not working when using CDN?

If you use CDN, all bandwidth will be served from CND and won't hit your server. You can test it by adding a cache bypass URL in Cloudflare.

If you use CDN, all bandwidth will be served from CND and won't hit your server. You can test it by adding a cache bypass URL in Cloudflare.

Thank you again! I will test it.
Currently I need find the solution how to limit the connection of hot-linking with specific country using CDN. Cuz I still using CDN.

Serving 2TB+ daily on free plan only.

1614701237228.png

Seth Meyers Please GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

Back