• Welcome to the Chevereto user community!

Here users from all over the world gather around to learn the latest about Chevereto and contribute with ideas to improve the software.

Please keep in mind:

• 😌 This community is user driven. Be polite with other users.
    • 👉 Is required to purchase a Chevereto license to participate in this community (doesn't apply to Pre-sales).
    • 💸 Purchase a Pro Subscription to get access to active software support and faster ticket response times.

v3.24 - Cannot save code in banner fields or external services.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ebturner

Chevereto Member
Hello,

I'm not sure if something went wrong in my update to 3.24. I tried to put my web stats code into Cheverto, basically a javascript of about 5 lines of code. Figured the best place was the "external services".
http://hostimageforfree.com/dashboard/settings/external-services

After putting the code into the "analytics code" box I clicked save and it did not take my code. It stayed empty. After 2 tries, I just typed in a "z" and clicked save. IT TOOK THAT!? Is there some reason why it is not taking javascript code in that box?

I also tried to add some banner code in the banner settings...NO GO. This is pretty standard code for exchanges and such.
Code:
<!-- Beginning of PromoteWebsiteAds.com Code
<script language="javascript" src="http://promotewebsiteads.com/bnr_show.php?id=57966&s=1&c=0|"></script>
End of PromoteWebsiteAds.com Code -->

I don't know if something is wrong on my server or if this is just not working yet? Seems strange it will take simple text but not any code which is required for most web analytic stats and banner programs.

It does seem to allow basic html. Is there any way to get around this so that I can use javascript in those fields. Just about every banner program and stat software uses java. :(

Code:
Request URL:http://hostimageforfree.com/dashboard/settings/banners
Request Method:POST
Status Code:406 Not Acceptable

The problem is that Godaddy is blocking the contents of your form when you post something with <script> tags.

This is being caused by a bad setup of mod_security which is denying any request which contains <script> or any other kind of suspicious code. Mod_security is indeed a good module but in godaddy they are blocking any input or textarea field when it contains <script> tags. Note that mod_security can be configured and that the server administrator can add/remove rules and most likely something happened in godaddy and they set this high level blocking.

Anyway, the only thing that you can do is edit the database directly, go to chv_settings and inject your code manually.

My recommendation is that you should get another provider. Godaddy is a very bad hosting provider and when I mean bad I mean probably the worst.

Last edited:
That is really odd because I have other hosted accounts with them and never had a problem with scripts in a field before. In fact my PromoteWebsiteAds.com site uses a ton of similar entry fields for both serving ads and internally for management, like ads inside the software itself. All javascript in those boxes and it saves to the database just fine.

Another site hosted with GoDaddy, FaceOnTheCover is loaded with javascript entries in the fields.
godaddy.jpg

I agree that GoDaddy will probably not lift any security they have in place. I should be able to write anything I want to a field in the SQL database via php. I just don't quite understand why it seems to be causing a problem with the software and the hosting where I don't have this problem with any other website with similar entry fields.

Maybe I will try to write a php module that will allow me to directly edit those database entries. (seems that is how your software should already be doing it?) Its hard to say how often I will change out banner ads, but its quite a few steps to manually sign into the database directly each time I need to make an edit. :(

Thing is that websites vary even if they are hosted in the same provider. You should refer your concerns to godaddy maybe the only machine affected is where you hosted your Chevereto site.

Tested your codes in localhost and in the demo and worked fine.

Like I said, server issues are not quite simple and there are many things that can go wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back