• Welcome to the Chevereto user community!

Here users from all over the world gather around to learn the latest about Chevereto and contribute with ideas to improve the software.

Please keep in mind:

• 😌 This community is user driven. Be polite with other users.
    • 👉 Is required to purchase a Chevereto license to participate in this community (doesn't apply to Pre-sales).
    • 💸 Purchase a Pro Subscription to get access to active software support and faster ticket response times.
  • Chevereto Support CLST

Support response

Support checklist

Using FTP for External Storage

mystik

Chevereto Member
I currently use Box.com for online backup. I have the 3-user Business account setup. I was thinking that since I am paying for this anyway, that it would be the thing to do...create a new folder for this purpose and use it as the external storage. I see that it can be accessed via FTP:

https://community.box.com/t5/How-to-Guides-for-Managing/Using-Box-with-FTP/ta-p/26050

Does this seem like a good way to go? I have read the comments on here about how important the network is...and I believe Box does have a good network. I guess in my mind the part that gives pause is how many concurrent connections they would allow via FTP access. Of course, I tend to wonder that about other solutions accessing via FTP too. So, what do you think?

If you don't feel like Box would be a good way to go, what would you suggest as the most cost effective solution that also has a good network? Ideally, if I am going to be paying per storage amount, I would like something where I can start out small and seamlessly expand, though I have found the "cloud" storage providers to be much more expensive than fixed disk.

If I should ever decide to move to a different solution for external storage...with using FTP, it seems like the only thing you would need to do is duplicate the files at the new provider and change the server address/login info. Is that correct?

SFTP > FTP

SFTP is way better than FTP. It allows multiple operations and is more reliable for this kind of stuff.

Great. I believe Box does support this. So, sounds like you're saying it should be a good option. Thank you.

Wow. I tested it out. If anyone else is considering...don't do it. It's very slow with Box. I have aborted that route. :)

Get a cheap $5 vps with good network, there are plenty alternatives.

Back