• Hey Guest, don't forget to VOTE on each RFC topic. Your voting determine Chevereto development! No votes, no development.
  • Welcome to the Chevereto user community!

Here users from all over the world gather around to learn the latest about Chevereto and contribute with ideas to improve the software.

Please keep in mind:

• 😌 This community is user driven. Be polite with other users.
    • 👉 Is required to purchase a Chevereto license to participate in this community (doesn't apply to Pre-sales).
    • 💸 Purchase a Pro Subscription to get access to active software support and faster ticket response times.

Use webp as the default format

Simply_Corbett

Chevereto Member
💡Describe your Feature request

On upload convert jpeg images to the webp format.

Original JPEG is 4080KB in size. When uploaded to Chevereto it is 3007KB in size.

When using libwebp 1.2.2: cwebp -mt -q 90 test.jpg -o test2.webp filesize is 2171KB.

When using a -q of 80 filesize is 1332KB.

This will result in significant bandwidth and space savings. I'm unsure of what quality Chevereto is currently using for JPEG's though.

Curious on what the rest of the community thinks about this.

The webp format is used by more and more websites. Google also recommends it in its PageSpeed Insights tool.
It would be nice to add this format.

Another good thing with webp is that we can run smoother the PWA version of the website, means, faster loading speed on the phones self.
For me it would be enough to have the Thumbs of the Pics on the Landing page in the webp format, the original format of the image should still stays in its original format when you click on the picture, the current ones are in the .png formats on my landing page which affects a lot loading speed.

I'd be okay with it just being the thumbs in webp. Faster website = better for everyone.

But I think converting jpeg (just jpeg) into webp would be a benefit as well. People would still be able to upload other formats.

Alternatively: Allow jpeg quality setting in the admin dashboard, as I personally would rather have a lower quality on that format.

Personally I wouldn't want it to be converting the full size user uploads automatically, only the thumbs/medium, but including the option for users to tick a box to compress their image on upload which can be made to default as on/off in the dashboard and a force compression always option in the admin dashboard would be useful.

Back