• Welcome to the Chevereto user community!

Here users from all over the world gather around to learn the latest about Chevereto and contribute with ideas to improve the software.

Please keep in mind:

• 😌 This community is user driven. Be polite with other users.
    • 👉 Is required to purchase a Chevereto license to participate in this community (doesn't apply to Pre-sales).
    • 💸 Purchase a Pro Subscription to get access to active software support and faster ticket response times.

Understanding sub-albums

rick78

Chevereto Noob
Hello all, I am unable to see how to create a sub-album. Searching the forum I can see a lot of references to sub albums but how to make them.
Can someone explain or point me to info on this?

Thank you.

I have not purchased yet. I have the free version 1.30 running on Docker.

I had trouble understanding sub albums as well.
In v4.

if you enter an Album it will either show the pictures in the album or if there are no picture a "there's nothing to show here." message
this is really confusing because there are things to show (the sub albums)

if you click on "short by Sub albums"
they will appear !
But the Picture if you had any on the album .. will dissapear!

To me it would be best if sub albums were dispalyed by default (the pictures only if there is no sub albu), or the option to display both in the same time

Reactions: srb
I had trouble understanding sub albums as well.
In v4.

if you enter an Album it will either show the pictures in the album or if there are no picture a "there's nothing to show here." message
this is really confusing because there are things to show (the sub albums)

if you click on "short by Sub albums"
they will appear !
But the Picture if you had any on the album .. will dissapear!

To me it would be best if sub albums were dispalyed by default (the pictures only if there is no sub albu), or the option to display both in the same time
Agreed, this feels like a bug. It's strange to me that adding an image just so that an album has a thumbnail seems to work ok, but as soon as you add a sub album, this album itself no longer presents that image in https://website.tld/<username>/albums.

FWIW, I would also very much appreciate going into an album that only has sub albums to default to the sub album tab, and it'd be great if i could keep a thumbnail for that album somehow as well.

1. Albums works as folders. An album can nest other albums.
2. You create an album by clicking the "create album" button when viewing an album.
3. Albums image listings show only images that belong to the current album.
4. Go to "Sub-albums" tab to view sub-albums.

If you want to request changes please use RFC.

Reactions: srb
4. Go to "Sub-albums" tab to view sub-albums.

If you want to request changes please use RFC.
The problem with that is it is not always obvious that there are sub albums, unless you click on sub-album tab. If only the sub-album tab had some indicator to tell users that there are sub-albums in side this sub-album.
Otherwise you always have to click on sub-album tab on each album to check. Like you said, the albums and sub-albums works as folders. People have nested sub-albums inside sub-albums. When there are more than a few, it gets tiresome game of whack-a-mole.

The problem is that you want either to recursive list all the images in a parent view or, to mix images of the current album and show the nested albums on the same images listing.

With the current database schema what I can do is to list the images on a given album and to get a list of sub-albums that belong to this album. That's all the room we have here, if you want to suggest something please bear the limitations.

Open a RFC, because besides change the tab for a button/select to show the album tree I don't have further ideas on how to improve it.

With the current database schema what I can do is to list the images on a given album and to get a list of sub-albums that belong to this album. That's all the room we have here, if you want to suggest something please bear the limitations.

That would be perfect ! the main issue right know is that its impossible to know they are sub album unless you click on "sub album".
So if you could list both image on an given album and the list of sub that would be perfect... Just like in an computer explorer you get the list of the folder and the file not one or the other..

If displaying both image and sub is not possible.. you could either:
A)-> give the choice to display by default (in general option) either image or sub folder
B)-> give the choice per folder to display either either image or sub folder by de fault
C)-> write a on conditional : if image in the folder => display folder if not display subfolder

You got me all wrong.

I can't show in the same listing two different types of content. Either I show images OR albums, I can't use it to list mixed contents.

Ok in that case:
it would be great if you could implement one of the 3 "solutions"
A) give the choice to chose what the default view is either picture or subfolder ( as a general option )
B) give the choice to chose what the default view is either picture or subfolder (as a per folder option) (more work)
C) insert a conditional code on the page: if there is images inside the folder => set folder view to image view / If no images in the folder => set the view to sub folder view .
I would put into request, forum .. but just stating here since we are talking about it

Back