• Welcome to the Chevereto user community!

Here users from all over the world gather around to learn the latest about Chevereto and contribute with ideas to improve the software.

Please keep in mind:

• 😌 This community is user driven. Be polite with other users.
    • 👉 Is required to purchase a Chevereto license to participate in this community (doesn't apply to Pre-sales).
    • 💸 Purchase a Pro Subscription to get access to active software support and faster ticket response times.

smtp.gmail.com issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy

Chevereto Member
Hi,

I'm wondering why I cannot use smtp.gmail.com as my email delivery setting?

Every time I use smtp.gmail.com it says invalid smtp server and invalid username.

I've tried everything like changing the port, using TLS, and everything.

Any clue what's wrong with my chevereto?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.

I meant 465. You will need to check if SSL connections are being blocked in your host, in some cases some domains/IP are just blocked to avoid spam issues and things like that.

Open app/routes/route.dashboard.php and change this:
PHP:
//$mail->SMTPDebug = 1;

To this:
PHP:
$mail->SMTPDebug = 1;

By doing that you will get the raw debug of the email library.

Last edited:
I meant 465. You will need to check if SSL connections are being blocked in your host, in some cases some domains/IP are just blocked to avoid spam issues and things like that.

Open app/routes/route.dashboard.php and change this:
PHP:
//$mail->SMTPDebug = 1;

To this:
PHP:
$mail->SMTPDebug = 1;

By doing that you will get the raw debug of the email library.
I got this error message by enabling SMTP debug:
Code:
SMTP Error: Could not authenticate.SMTP connect() failed. https://github.com/PHPMailer/PHPMailer/wiki/Troubleshooting

All you need to do is explained here: https://github.com/PHPMailer/PHPMailer/wiki/Troubleshooting

As you may notice is due to server issues:
This may also appear as SMTP connect() failed or Called Mail() without being connected in debug output. This is often reported as a PHPMailer problem, but it's almost always down to local DNS failure, firewall blocking or other issue on your local network. It means that PHPMailer is unable to contact the SMTP server you have specified in the Host property, but doesn't say exactly why. It can also be caused by not having the openssl extension loaded (See encryption notes below).

You can get a verbose transcript of the whole SMTP conversation by setting SMTPDebug = 2 - if you're submitting a bug report that's probably the best option to choose. If you are having trouble with the initial connection, SMTPDebug = 3 or 4 will give more info, but rather too much if your problem is not related to the connection itself.

Some techniques to diagnose the source of this error are discussed below.

(continued)

Just follow that troubleshoot, sadly this is somehow hard to debug (phpmailer) and you will need to do all what that page says.

Yeah, thank's Rodolfo. I'll debug it by myself.

Now I'm using Outlook's SMTP, but weird thing is mail always goes to spam box. (even with Outlook address)

Yeah, thank's Rodolfo. I'll debug it by myself.

Now I'm using Outlook's SMTP, but weird thing is mail always goes to spam box. (even with Outlook address)
That's not weird at all. Is well known that Microsoft has false positives issues when using trasactional email. That's why there is a tool to test email delivery in Dashboard > Settings > Tools. By using that (mailtester for example) you will understand where you need to improve your server settings and stuff.

When I test using mail-tester, it's delivered. But when I try to send it to my gmail address, it's never delivered. Not even reaching my spam folder.

Sorry to tell you this but that's has nothing to do with the script itself. Email delivery success depends on several factors that you should be aware of. For example, local issues including filters and things like that. You will need to read a lot, start here: http://www.mail-tester.com/faq

Since email-tester is working I will label this as solved.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back