• Welcome to the Chevereto user community!

Here users from all over the world gather around to learn the latest about Chevereto and contribute with ideas to improve the software.

Please keep in mind:

• 😌 This community is user driven. Be polite with other users.
    • 👉 Is required to purchase a Chevereto license to participate in this community (doesn't apply to Pre-sales).
    • 💸 Purchase a Pro Subscription to get access to active software support and faster ticket response times.

share by e-mail function broken with cloudlfare in 3.2

Status
Not open for further replies.

BMWracing

Chevereto Member
In v3.2 there is a share by e-mail function, but it doesn't seem to be compatible with cloudflare.

Any idea's on how to resolve this? Maybe exclude a specific page or file through the cloudflare page?

See my websites below to test/debug. Thanks

I get the following error:

Email Protection
The website from which you got to this page is protected by CloudFlare. Email addresses on that page have been hidden in order to keep them from being accessed by malicious bots. You must enable Javascript in your browser in order to decode the e-mail address.

If you have a website and are interested in protecting it in a similar way, you can sign up for CloudFlare.

It's great that it adds security and I would rather leave it on for malicous bots.. but just figure out how to disable this feature for this specific share function?

Edit: Found this on the cloudflare page:

Added on June 12, 2011: You can also prevent CloudFlare from obfuscating emails by adding comments within the HTML code for the page. The comments to use are <!--email_off--> <!--/email_off-->. Any email addresses between the opening and closing comment tags will be displayed to the user exactly as written in the original HTML code.

Not sure if this would do the trick and where to add this code. Any help would be very much apreciated.

Our share buttons works by doing a pop-up. To do this the buttons have a data-href attribute instead the conventional href. When you click a share link the system generates this pop-up window and show you the content of the data-href attribute.

The problem with CloudFlare is that their email protection system intercepts the href="mailto:" links or window.location for any mailto: link, even if the mail address is not there (as in Chevereto). Actually they want to catch the click on every mailto link and perform the conversion to the safe email address. Sadly that also interferes with our event listener.

I will recommend to disable CloudFlare email protection (actually you don't need that "protection") or you can remove the share email functionality. Is on themes/Peafowl/custom_hooks.

Cheers.

Too bad, was hoping this could be solved. Disabling the e-mail protection would not seem like a good idea because bots can user the share functionality to send mass spam?

I guess I will disable the share mail function within chevereto for now. Any chance you can add that to the dashboard in the next release (on off button) instead of modifing the code?

or you can remove the share email functionality. Is on themes/Peafowl/custom_hooks.

Can you please be a bit more specific? What part of the code should I remove?

Too bad, was hoping this could be solved. Disabling the e-mail protection would not seem like a good idea because bots can user the share functionality to send mass spam?

Nope, it doesn't do that. The only that they do is encode mailto:somemail@mail.com so crawlers can't get your email. If you don't have any single email printed in your webpage then you should not worry at all. For example, look my page: http://rodolfoberrios.com/ and look the mail just below the bio. You will notice that is encoded, that is enough to stop spam crawlers. is that easy.

Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back