• Welcome to the Chevereto user community!

Here users from all over the world gather around to learn the latest about Chevereto and contribute with ideas to improve the software.

Please keep in mind:

• 😌 This community is user driven. Be polite with other users.
    • 👉 Is required to purchase a Chevereto license to participate in this community (doesn't apply to Pre-sales).
    • 💸 Purchase a Pro Subscription to get access to active software support and faster ticket response times.
  • Chevereto Support CLST

Support response

Support checklist

• ⚠️ Got a Something went wrong message? Read this guide and provide the actual error. Do not skip this.
    • ✅ Confirm that the server meets the System Requirements
    • 🔥 Check for any available Hotfix - your issue could be already reported/fixed
    • 📚 Read documentation - It will be required to Debug and understand Errors for a faster support response

Profile Image

Version
4.0.0.beta.9
PHP version
Database driver
MariaDB
Database version
10.3.34-MariaDB-log-cll-lve
Web browser
Any

Drifter

Chevereto Member
Pro
When trying to add an avatar sometimes they will upload and sometimes not. Usually I am attempting to use .jpg but sometimes .png

It seems random for me. Some .jpg work and some don't. Other times, some .png work and some don't. Wondering if anyone else has had similar issues or if its an issue using shared hosts.

profile.PNG

I note from your other thread about Cron that you are on Shared hosting. This is what the case likely is here also. Your webhost will be throttling the resources on your account to not affect other users on the server.

The random times the image upload is working will be when the network resources are not being fully used.

Running a hosting service on Shared Hosting is a no no, and pretty much all Webhosting Providers will have a clause in their ToS that forbids you to run file / image hosting services.

I note from your other thread about Cron that you are on Shared hosting. This is what the case likely is here also. Your webhost will be throttling the resources on your account to not affect other users on the server.

The random times the image upload is working will be when the network resources are not being fully used.

Running a hosting service on Shared Hosting is a no no, and pretty much all Webhosting Providers will have a clause in their ToS that forbids you to run file / image hosting services.
I was thinking this might be the case since the cron frequency is less in shared. Since I'm doing this for myself and its pretty low overhead I'm not having an issue with the tos. If it were to become popular for some reason it would exceed hosting limits pretty quickly. There's no doubt at some future point a move will be needed.

Thanks for the response / help.

You maybe using a low overhead with your personal image hosting, but bear in mind that it's not only the ToS that you may be violating by running an Image Sharing platform on shared hosting, but also the Webhost's AUP (Acceptable Use Policy) too.

A snippet of the AUP that is used by a few of the main Webhost providers:

Excessive Use of Resources or Network Abuse
You may not consume excessive amounts of server or network resources or use the Services in any way which results in server performance issues or which interrupts service for other customers. Prohibited activities that contribute to excessive use, include without limitation:

1. Hosting or linking to an anonymous proxy server;
  2. Operating a file sharing site; <-------

Shared Webhosting will also have small print that tells you that you may only use your Webspace for personal files only.

It's these hosting accounts that run file sharing / image hosting that attract the attention of the Webhost when they look at the statistics of the server and which accounts are frequently hogging resources which ultimately lead to the said accounts being suspended.

Seriously, consider upgrading to a small VPS, they aren't that expensive.

I agree. However I am not operating a "file sharing site". I am providing images that I use and have. IF I were to use my forums, and I do, there is no restriction unless I have multitudes of users attempting to use the shared service. Even then there has never been an issue. I'm sure if I had thousands of subscribers it would be.

A small "bare bones" vps would be "affordable". With any type of support, cpanel, other tools the cost rises significantly. We are going off topic a bit but when I came to Chevereto, it was a free option unless you wanted extended features. This has now grown into something else. I will never host millions of images. That said, I like how things are done overall and I think that is where my frustration comes from.

I have an open instance with Linode that was linked from here. Already, if I want some assistance they want an additional $100 monthly which is something I won't do. This is not a business. Not saying the pricing is wrong but only something I do not need. In the end I will probably go back to my forums with galleries rather than have to go crazy with hosting. I do see both sides. Hopefully you understand my side as well.

Back