• Welcome to the Chevereto user community!

Here users from all over the world gather around to learn the latest about Chevereto and contribute with ideas to improve the software.

Please keep in mind:

• 😌 This community is user driven. Be polite with other users.
    • 👉 Is required to purchase a Chevereto license to participate in this community (doesn't apply to Pre-sales).
    • 💸 Purchase a Pro Subscription to get access to active software support and faster ticket response times.

Photobucket disaster and recovering the images to a Chevereto website

While I understand and agree that User Experience is everything in the current era, I also understand that SSO will take some time.

Imagine hosting chevereto and forum on two different hosts and chevereto having to call that particular table from database to enable SSO.
If one of them is down, it'd be a problem on few active sites.

I'll wait to see this implemented to figure out if it's something a forum member is likely to do.
True, but at this time there are several pitfalls that will take out too much time to achieve it in the exact way you want.

Hope that you can understand.

I need chevereto site registration available to forum members only, somehow, even through some workaround.

I hope you realize there are few users who want to administer a full fledged image hosting site. It's a failing business model as clearly demonstrated by Photobucket. There's a finite number of software to be sold to such users. Whereas there are many more users like me, I would concentrate on catering the software to such needs.

Last edited:
I strongly appreciate your feedback but at this time I won't change my mind. Like I said, I will add this feature as I've already described and depending on its popularity I will add more stuff on it.

Thanks again,
Rodolfo.

You're welcome Rodolfo.

To others reading this and considering buying the software, I say that it's good but lacking the specific functionality to compliment a forum as discussed here. I bought the network license as the photobucket situation unfolded because I needed a quick solution. Chevereto solved the problem of my lost images, on my own forum, because I was able to edit the photobucket links. I was also initially excited with the idea of running an image hosting site. But I didn't stop to think of the inherent difficulties, specifically people uploading tons of crap to the site, and the time/effort required to moderate it. Now I know I do not want to run a public image hosting site.

If you're interested in cheverto to compliment your forum, make the effort to register in this forum and post your intention. This way the developer will get an idea of the user base he can cater to.

I've to admit that all this time I've been driving this almost blind in terms that I don't know current installation base usage statistics. This is crucial in software development because it grants the ability of know exactly what are the features more used and therefore, where this should be improved. Having said that, there will be anonymous usage surveys in future editions to avoid this subjective analysis because for me it takes lots of time to investigate each request, analyze possible pitfalls, caveats, etc. We don't need to be subjective if we can be purely objective.

In my opinion, you should run Chevereto only for registered users, disable guest uploads and enable hotlink only for your forum domain. That's all you need to care about. If some of your forum users don't signup for your service then they just don't use it. You are making a big deal about something that most of your users won't even complain and you are missing the fact that there aren't too many alternatives out there. You use Chevereto not because it has a mod or plugin, you use it because your images are hosted by you, not someone else so everything on top of that are extras that will get better with time.

There are several features in queue and due to the Photobucket stuff I did an exception and accepted this request. But please understand that there are other features waiting for months, even years. There are other persons using this software, I've to care about everybody.

P.S. People will always upload crap from time to time. Happens to everybody with an open system. You can't expect to have a system like this opened for everybody and full auto without looking at it from time to time. It needs at least your minimum moderation effort.

Guess I will password protect original chevereto's installation direcory until we get SSO.
I'll hand out the password to my members via email

But why? I don't understand why is so complicated to just disable guest uploads, force everybody to create an account and that's all. A password doesn't ensure that people from outside won't upload in the first place (or an account) but password protect that folder will ask a password for every single image load. Is not an efficient solution at all.

If you only want that people that use your forum use your hosting then disable hotlink from anywhere but your domain. That's how you deal with this because those uploads won't be available anywhere else and since you control signups, you just ban those that are uploading stuff that you don't need. You keep relating upload with image delivery and keep trying to control upload without caring at all about delivery.

Postimage or Imgur doesn't work as a module for your forum and neither Chevereto will do. Chevereto is just a self-hosted alternative of those and since some noticed that I show interest in this then all went down to talk about how your forum users will auto-login with this via SSO, which is not even supported by the services mentioned earlier.

I will appreciate if everyone could keep this conversation in the realm of reality and stop this SSO must-have-right-now dilemma.

It's not like I don't want to disable guest upload. I will do that.
I just want my members to be able to have an account.

Guests cannot upload and members outside my community cannot make an account.
I want my members to feel special and this image hosting site will be for them

:)

but password protect that folder will ask a password for every single image load

That's a bummer then :(

Keep in mind that Chevereto is a drop-in replacement for, in this case, Photobucket. PB doesn't provide SSO, doesn't have a module where users can see their uploads, it doesn't do anything being asked here.

If this (plugin) on its basic forum gets enough traction surely I will push SSO earlier, but until now this is good as it gets. Any extra stuff asked here is not even possible with current third-party services so let me catch up first then we talk about extra stuff.

Back