• Welcome to the Chevereto user community!

Here users from all over the world gather around to learn the latest about Chevereto and contribute with ideas to improve the software.

Please keep in mind:

• 😌 This community is user driven. Be polite with other users.
    • 👉 Is required to purchase a Chevereto license to participate in this community (doesn't apply to Pre-sales).
    • 💸 Purchase a Pro Subscription to get access to active software support and faster ticket response times.

Optimizing page speed

Status
Not open for further replies.
it must jump alot i got 41 of 100 on the demo site
71 of 100 on ur-upload.de
and 69 of 100 on my own sdumps.net

The google speed test highly considers the server network speed than the site optimization. To put it simple, demo and dev sites are on complete different hosting companies and datacenters and the results of the test are:

demo.cheverereto.com scores 28 (out of 100)
dev.chevereto.com scores 53 (out of 100)

And it's the exact same thing in terms of the script. So, yes... This test is quite irrelevant.

BTW, Chevereto's default theme doesn't use sprites because is intended to be a easy to understand default theme, so you can make your own themes, make your own sprites etc.

Rodolfo said:
The google speed test highly considers the server network speed than the site optimization. To put it simple, demo and dev sites are on complete different hosting companies and datacenters and the results of the test are:

demo.cheverereto.com scores 28 (out of 100)
dev.chevereto.com scores 53 (out of 100)

And it's the exact same thing in terms of the script. So, yes... This test is quite irrelevant.

BTW, Chevereto's default theme doesn't use sprites because is intended to be a easy to understand default theme, so you can make your own themes, make your own sprites etc.

I must say that this is not correct.

Google Page Speed is not measuring the server speed/network speed.

It is only about Front End Performance Optimizing. If you want to know more, read e.g. here:

http://www.cookielessdomain.com/blog/2010/10/front-end-performance-optimizing/

http://ezinearticles.com/?Front-End-Performance-Optimizing&id=5158202

or on the Google Page Speed website:

http://code.google.com/intl/en-EN/speed/page-speed/

Google Page Speed suggests different techniques like minifying/combining JS/CSS, using CSS sprites, ...

It is like YSlow. It can not test server performances.

No, you are wrong.

When you compare two exact websites but on different servers and you get likely a 50% less in one of them then what is the reason? the test was made using the same Chevereto version, one on dev.chevereto.com and one on demo.chevereto.com

I never said that the test just measures server speed, I said that the test is irrelevant because it highly takes into account the server speed. Google and other morons on their blogs can say "hey this test doesn't measure server speed"... C'mon... don't be blind.

Default theme is what you can expect on a default theme... A pretty easy to understand base to develop your own theme. if you want to speed your site the only things that you need are:

1. CSS sprites
2. Reduce the HTML nodes
3. Reduce the CSS stress

And that's all.. In terms of loading. If you want to improve performance you need other things. Most of the time this sites tell you to minify the text and so on. That's crap. The improvement of the sprites is WAY more important than the minified code.

Rodolfo said:
No, you are wrong.

When you compare two exact websites but on different servers and you get likely a 50% less in one of them then what is the reason? the test was made using the same Chevereto version, one on dev.chevereto.com and one on demo.chevereto.com

I never said that the test just measures server speed, I said that the test is irrelevant because it highly takes into account the server speed. Google and other morons on their blogs can say "hey this test doesn't measure server speed"... C'mon... don't be blind.

Default theme is what you can expect on a default theme... A pretty easy to understand base to develop your own theme. if you want to speed your site the only things that you need are:

1. CSS sprites
2. Reduce the HTML nodes
3. Reduce the CSS stress

And that's all.. In terms of loading. If you want to improve performance you need other things. Most of the time this sites tell you to minify the text and so on. That's crap. The improvement of the sprites is WAY more important than the minified code.

Sorry to say, but not true.

I am into front end performance optimizing all day.

I know the effects when you e.g. do not combine all your javascripts into one file.
If you are not doing it... you have more http requests.

Same with graphics, css and every stuff your browser needs to load.

Basically you need to do the following:

minify/combine css
put css into head
minify/combine javascripts
put javascript into bottom
use css sprites
optimize graphic files with e.g. smushit

That's the basics. Now you could also use a cookieless domain to put your static files on.
Saves you some bytes, too.

You can also use a webserver with mod_deflate, mod_headers and mod_expires to speed up a little more.

For me this discussion ends now, and I will tell you why.

I did several tests with different websites/portals I have coded the last 2 years.

Even a university professor from germany called me in that front end performance stuff and asked for my advice.

If you think you are right you should read all my posts on cookielessdomain.com and think about how browsers load/execute ...

But thank you anyway.

You did a good job on chevereto, that's why I bought it :)

Let put it simple... Read my past post 10 times and then you will notice that I'm not wrong. Also, this is the deal:

1. Minify CSS/JS doesn't mean a big improve Different thing is combine them in single files (is not the same thing)
2. You have totally forgot the CSS stress and the JS stress caused by the excess of HTML nodes.
3. Can't really call yourself a optimizer if you come here with this yahoo/google optimization copypasted techniques.
4. mods are ok, but a lighting server like nginx is totally a WAY more important thing.

The thing is that make website optimization is reduced to two things: HTTP request and page rendering. And minify, doesn't really matters when real page load is in mind. I mean, a bad HTML/CSS/JS can really fuck up the page load,,, I mean, seriously... That is more important than minify. Minify is a issue only if you have a colossus traffic.

And why I tell you this? I used to work on a website that has like 2M simultaneous active users at the same time, some days the peaks where 4M. That really gives you a scoope on what is the real deal.

Ofcoures valid HTML is very important.

And those "techniques" are not "copypasted" techniques...

Beside that there is much more you should have in mind when doing front end performance optimizing... but hey, you are the god here... and you are right, i am not.

have a nice evening

1click said:
Ofcoures valid HTML

I never mention valid HTML because that is not a direct measure of improvement. Why? make standard HTML is like writing with good orthography and all the necessary things, is the necessary base. But, if you aren't concise, if you overload the rendering (HTML/CSS/JS) standars doesn't means nothing.

Dude... I'm not saying that I'm right. But you haven't really read my post. Even with the google thing you just keep saying that I'm wrong... Even with clear evidence.

Anyway, if you are ok doing all that fancy optimization things go ahead. I'm just saying that is a waste of time. Like make the HTML code 100% valid.

s-f-r-j said:
I think he will ask for refund :rolleyes: :lol:

No no, hehe...

Chevereto itself has nothing to do with this discussion :) He did great work, that's for sure.

He has his oppinion, I have my oppinion... that's all :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back