• Welcome to the Chevereto user community!

Here users from all over the world gather around to learn the latest about Chevereto and contribute with ideas to improve the software.

Please keep in mind:

• 😌 This community is user driven. Be polite with other users.
    • 👉 Is required to purchase a Chevereto license to participate in this community (doesn't apply to Pre-sales).
    • 💸 Purchase a Pro Subscription to get access to active software support and faster ticket response times.

Multi Server Support

Status
Not open for further replies.

novexx

Chevereto Member
Hello,
can you add multi server support ?

like 1 server for script, and unlimited other servers for the pics. :)

I have my script set up to run with Amazon AWS systems. Support install on external server or on an actual Amazon server. Basically instead of hosting files on your main server, it hosts them on Amazon's servers. This is ideal since you can deploy additional servers to meet your needs and you only pay for the storage space you use.

I am still in the process of working out all the kinks, but as soon as I do I will make a thread to gauge interest in the upgrade.

It is set up so that i.yourdomain.com/filename.gif will display the image. If you don't want to use a subdomain, it can also be set to yourdomain.com/imagefolder/filename.gif

dantheman733 said:
I have my script set up to run with Amazon AWS systems. Support install on external server or on an actual Amazon server. Basically instead of hosting files on your main server, it hosts them on Amazon's servers. This is ideal since you can deploy additional servers to meet your needs and you only pay for the storage space you use.

I am still in the process of working out all the kinks, but as soon as I do I will make a thread to gauge interest in the upgrade.

It is set up so that i.yourdomain.com/filename.gif will display the image. If you don't want to use a subdomain, it can also be set to yourdomain.com/imagefolder/filename.gif

That could end up costing you a fortune on bandwidth. My image hosting site goes through terabytes of bandwidth each month. A CDN like Amazon S3 + CloudFront would be an expensive option.

sp3ctr3 said:
So...is that a "Yes." on the multi servers idea?

As far as I can tell, it looks more than a NO on the multi servers idea, I haven't seen anything about it in the Chevereto 2.0 documentation.

This feature won't be implemented in Chevereto 2.0, but as discussed before, their is a lot of others way to achieve the multi-servers hosting without the implication of the main script.

Danny.Domb said:
sp3ctr3 said:

As far as I can tell, it looks more than a NO on the multi servers idea, I haven't seen anything about it in the Chevereto 2.0 documentation.

This feature won't be implemented in Chevereto 2.0, but as discussed before, their is a lot of others way to achieve the multi-servers hosting without the implication of the main script.

Sorry, but if you don't mind, can you elaborate on how I'd achieve multi-server hosting?

I did a bit of a search, but so far haven't found anything. Only the CDN idea as stated earlier in this thread.

sp3ctr3 said:
Danny.Domb said:
sp3ctr3 said:

Sorry, but if you don't mind, can you elaborate on how I'd achieve multi-server hosting?

I did a bit of a search, but so far haven't found anything. Only the CDN idea as stated earlier in this thread.

Sorry, I'm not an expert in this field, in fact I know almost nothing XD!
Maybe somebody else will be able to help you.

sp3ctr3 said:
Danny.Domb said:
sp3ctr3 said:

I'm wondering if it's possible to setup the script to host images on a sub-domain. For example, you could have server 1 of: a.mydomain.com. Once that server's full, all images previously uploaded images are still served off of it, but you could setup a second server like b.yourdomain.com. This would allow you to have multiple individuals servers instead of all your eggs in one basket.

I haven't had really any experience with high setups before, but you may want to look at some load balancing. This would involve a master file list I assume so it knows what server holds the file, but I know some type of setup has to be possible. A great example of this is the imgur.com website - http://imgur.com/stats/ . Right now that page is down, but when it's back up you'll see they are pushing around 600TB (Yes, TB) per month in bandwidth. That is clearly not done by a single server, but 100% of their images are served off of i.imgur.com, one sub-domain.

The multi-server it's not a issue of having more subdomains, it's a issue of server setup and script features. If you really want a multiserver setup then we must start on the dedicated server enviroment and not the shared environment. At least if your plan is serving 600TB/mo. on a network of servers.

The CDN it's a different thing, way more easier to implement but every CDN (amazon, rackspace, etc) are different implementations and setups, therefore, if you want to offer CDN support you must support at least the major services, even CDN in a box for instance.

Both implementations are not common things and they are not a massive requirement at the moment. I really like the idea of implement CDN support and then multiserver support but I also need to get myself more involved on this new setups and environments, I need to get more info and a whole scoope of things so I can offer you something that you will really like and that it will be useful and not just a fancy useless feature.

So far I can tell you that I'm really interested on this features, but I can't give you dates for the official implementation of this.

Hope you understand,

Regards.

Rodolfo said:
The multi-server it's not a issue of having more subdomains, it's a issue of server setup and script features. If you really want a multiserver setup then we must start on the dedicated server enviroment and not the shared environment. At least if your plan is serving 600TB/mo. on a network of servers.

The CDN it's a different thing, way more easier to implement but every CDN (amazon, rackspace, etc) are different implementations and setups, therefore, if you want to offer CDN support you must support at least the major services, even CDN in a box for instance.

Both implementations are not common things and they are not a massive requirement at the moment. I really like the idea of implement CDN support and then multiserver support but I also need to get myself more involved on this new setups and environments, I need to get more info and a whole scoope of things so I can offer you something that you will really like and that it will be useful and not just a fancy useless feature.

So far I can tell you that I'm really interested on this features, but I can't give you dates for the official implementation of this.

Hope you understand,

Regards.

I hope i understood you.... is it just difficult to implement multiserver support, if you use different systems?

Is it easier to implement multiserver support if i want to use for example 6 dedicated server of ovh.fr , ovh.de alphahost.de or any other hoster , with the same OS ?

It depends on how the implementation is made. A basic implementation like 1 server for dB + X server for file hosting just need FTP access and nothing more, the machines can run complete different OS or even HTTP servers, you want them only for storage so you don't need PHP or other dynamic language. Since you want to serve static content you may want to set a nginx or lighttpd server.

But a more complex thing like a balanced setup need more things in common. Honestly, a killer custom multi-server setup is way too expensive but the basic implementation is cheap.

You can find real life architectures on http://highscalability.com/ and get an idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back