• Welcome to the Chevereto user community!

Here users from all over the world gather around to learn the latest about Chevereto and contribute with ideas to improve the software.

Please keep in mind:

• 😌 This community is user driven. Be polite with other users.
    • 👉 Is required to purchase a Chevereto license to participate in this community (doesn't apply to Pre-sales).
    • 💸 Purchase a Pro Subscription to get access to active software support and faster ticket response times.

Large scale hosting question..

dognose

Chevereto Member
I'm looking into starting my own image hosting site for a large photo community that I currently run.
It would need to scale relatively quickly starting out, I'm guessing 10k uploads a day and 10m image hits a day.
I was looking at other sites using chevereto, and many of those posted are already down. ;-( Others,
its a little hard to tell how much traffic they have.
I currently have multiple dedicated servers, so, I'd be planning a multi server setup from the get go.
Do you have any general usage stats from a large chevereto site?
What specs / hosting options would you recommend?

Chevereto indeed can handle large websites but I can't disclose how large are some of those websites. I've saw websites with more than 6M images running fine and every time I'm adding performance tweaks based in the experience of those large websites. System actually is very fast without cache or anything fancy, I've developed this script in such way that even default setups will run fast. You can check this by using xcachegrind or any tool like that, the execution time of this thing is insanely fast even in complex listings.

Basically the most common setup is a dedicated server + external storage, where you have plenty options (S3, OpenStack, Google Drive, FTP and SFTP). I won't recommend FTP for large websites, but SFTP should be ok. Now for the server, it all "depends". You can't rely just in network speed or in some hardware spec. For example, I run chevereto.com in an Arvixe VPS pro and is far far far better than several dedicated machines in other providers.

Hope that owners with large websites can share their experience because in that way you will get a more real-world feedback.

Cheers,
Rodolfo.

Thanks for that info. Definitely considering the SFTP option. Just wondering what the choke points would be as it scales,
and how fault tolerant things are. If one of the storage servers are down, how is that handled?

If one of the storage servers are down, how is that handled?

You can add multiple storage servers that run in sequence and if some storage fails the system will switch to the local storage. That's why you either use trusted SFTP servers or just an storage server that guarantee uptime like Google Cloud.

Back