• Welcome to the Chevereto user community!

Here users from all over the world gather around to learn the latest about Chevereto and contribute with ideas to improve the software.

Please keep in mind:

• 😌 This community is user driven. Be polite with other users.
    • 👉 Is required to purchase a Chevereto license to participate in this community (doesn't apply to Pre-sales).
    • 💸 Purchase a Pro Subscription to get access to active software support and faster ticket response times.

'In Between' license?

SubnetMask

Chevereto Member
Have you thought of an 'In Between' license of Chevereto? Where I'm at, I've been trying to get the free version to install and I've hit an issue and haven't been able to get it to install. Tried both the web installer and the full download, both get me to where it couldn't find '/install'. I've read that enabling mod_rewrite fixes that - but mod_rewrite is enabled in apache, so *shrug*.

Anyway, I DEFINITELY wouldn't even think about buying it before I've tried it, and to be totally honest, I'm not even sure I want/need to buy it because I have no need, want, desire, use or interest in ANY of the 'additional features' of the paid version (Only questionable one being 'manage banners' - what's that? Does the free version have ad banners or something? But the rest - nope), and really, I wouldn't want those features even available on the system. Frankly, a simple Apache/NGINX server serving up images would pretty much do what I need - Chevereto would just give me a nicer, more efficient method of putting the images there and building the links, as well as allow family and friends to use it if desired.

So ever thought about a 'lite' version that doesn't have the additional 'bells and whistles' that the current paid versions have, but does get at least some level of support? Or maybe have a sub forum for free users to post in if they have an issue for others in the community to comment on if they feel like it?

Got to agree with this, the free version has all the features I want but I'm having issues with it, I do not want the additional features of the full version and certainly wouldn't pay for it on the off chance it will work where the free version isn't. I would though consider paying a little for support only, or would like to be able to ask if others have had the same problem

Core license is already cheap for what you get. Any cheaper alternative will cost you about $35 but the level of features, development and updates can't match Chevereto.

It is very likely that more editions will be added, but at this time I'm very into a way to cut down support costs (without loosing quality) and is actually one of my main goals for Chevereto 4. If I can achieve that then surely I will be able to offer cheaper editions. I love to own stuff that I know it won't broke even if cost little money and even if there are free alternatives.

I'm about to open a non-client section where Chevereto Free users can help each other, hope it works. I did this in the past (v1.0) and didn't worked but now there is a huge wave of new Chevereto users so who knows, it could be a good idea.

By the way, how much will you pay to get support for Chevereto Free? Just asking.

Interesting question regarding what I would pay, an one which I'd have to give some thought.

And I agree with you that the core edition is very reasonably priced but still, for me anyway (obviously I can't comment for anyone else) is still a significant outlay for something which is done purely for hobby use and provides no return on the investment - that being the position most free users are in i would have thought. Even so it's definitely something I would seriously consider paying for if I could be sure I could make it work as I want, as it appears to be an excellent piece of software.

(I obviously don't expect support answers on here but I cannot get the free version I have installed to accept uploads direct from the camera, or camera folder on my phone, downloaded and resized images work fine, all files are smaller than my max setting, it's almost certainly an issue with my server that I haven't worked out, as it works fine in the demo, obviously I'm reluctant to buy something that I may not be able to get running without migrating my hosting elsewhere)

Yes, the core version is 'cheapish', but like I said, the cost aside, I really don't need or want those extra features, and it seems like others feel the same way. Would you give full support to someone that paid for the core version but didn't want it or its features and wanted to install and run the free version? Or would you only support the person if the paid version was installed? I did finally get the free version working, and it seems to be working quite well, especially compared to that ad plastered slug site that recently started charging $400/yr for '3rd party hosting'.... Turns out you MUST set up a virtual host in the Apache Config with a few settings in order for it to work (even though mod_rewrite is enabled by default). Once I found that, *BAM*, off I went.

IMO, about half the cost of the core license I think would be good for something that'll give you some support and *maybe* more frequent updates (That wouldn't be a dealbreaker for me), but no more features than the free version. Really, once it's up, it's likely that it won't have may issues, so most of the support is likely to be getting it going. As long as administrators are letting it run and do its thing and not tinkering with it all the time, I don't think there's really a whole lot to make it break and require a support case. And if they're smart, they'd take a snapshot of their machine before doing anything major, so if it breaks, they can revert to their snapshot to get it back up and then figure out what went wrong.

$34 for Chevereto Free support looks good enough for me, maybe it could be a little less. The delay in the free edition is because I wait for a very stable release to make the fork so I won't consider to increase the update rate that much unless it gets heavily demanded.

The cap in the free edition is that it runs in just one host so is not that cheap to make your website bigger. It is very likely that this limitation won't exists in the future but it will take some time to get there.

A lot of free software charges for support. I've seen that a lot.

One thing to also pay attention to is Chevereto's birthday sales, and maybe, future black friday's for deep discounts on the full licenses. :)

A lot of free software charges for support. I've seen that a lot.

One thing to also pay attention to is Chevereto's birthday sales, and maybe, future black friday's for deep discounts on the full licenses. :)

True.... but... even if one of these sales put the core license at roughly half price (or less)..... I don't want the features... Don't even want them available... only the support, *if needed*. If the paid support will only cover the paid version and not the free version, thanks, but no thanks. Based on Rodolfo's comment, it sounds is if *technically*, the free branch is more stable and less likely to suffer issues from updates.

Last edited:
Paid edition is also stable but it lacks a pre-filter, something like a beta channel which is something that I'm also considering because I want to make it more stable and reliable. I've saw good results doing this with the Free edition and it will be a nice addon for the paid tier.

In any case, there will be community based support for Chevereto Free and for those that want official support there should be a option to pay for the same support that you get from the paid edition.

Back