• Welcome to the Chevereto user community!

Here users from all over the world gather around to learn the latest about Chevereto and contribute with ideas to improve the software.

Please keep in mind:

• 😌 This community is user driven. Be polite with other users.
    • 👉 Is required to purchase a Chevereto license to participate in this community (doesn't apply to Pre-sales).
    • 💸 Purchase a Pro Subscription to get access to active software support and faster ticket response times.

I pretty sure this is a good app but i wont buy it, ever.

okno

Chevereto Noob
Hey every one ! I am just posting this to share my disapointment about the current state of Cheverto. I am a junior developper and i enjoy installing stuff on my home server, getting rid of all the google amazon , facebook services. Today i was digging Awesome Selfhosted today to find a decent alternative to google photo. I tryed the so call "Free" version of Chevereto. At first i was amazed : everything i was looking for, Chevereto provides. Honestly i am pretty sure it's a good app. But i soon realised that i will have to buy a license to get all the good/critical features. At first i thought "f*** you rodolfo!" ( ok that's not nice ) .... ok every one got to work for a living... I digged even deeper coming to your forum, reading the GNU Affero General Public License. After all that digging my opinion ( and it is just my opinion ) is that you mister Rodolfo should take a look at this talk . I read your post about going open source and blablabla ... YOU ARE NOT OPEN SOURCE IF PEOPLE HAVE TO PAY FOR CLOSE SOURCED PLUGINS. Anyway look at this talk and ask yourself a simple question shall i build a community and make money whith the support i provide to compagnies/big client or shall i just sell the "plugins" i build i my basement. At the end of the day if you open source V4 community will take over your project fork it and you'll be f***ed, alone with your non free plugins. I said all of this with no anger at all and i took the time to write this post because i think your app deserve to be known and fully opensourced ( at that does not mean you have to starve ). You shall really take a closer look at how nextcloud business model work. Love.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've already announced that Chevereto will be Open Sourced in V4 but until that happens, everything remains the same. Get over it, Chevereto-Free won't get any support at this time. Period, no support. Stop. I'm not into it, I won't even consider it.

YOU ARE NOT OPEN SOURCE IF PEOPLE HAVE TO PAY FOR CLOSE SOURCED PLUGINS.
The base software is what makes the framework where others collaborate, sell, whatever. On top of that Open Source software, I believe that each software vendor should be completely free to decide if their work is free or paid and how much that work cost. It is the market which regulates the price of such add-ons, not the software company that creates the framework that everybody uses. Chevereto V4 will have both free and paid plugins and is the market which will regulate that stuff, not me. Chevereto and other vendors should sell and/or provide free plugins, I won't restrict that, I won't charge for listing free plugins.

Each software vendor decides how their software will be distributed and how that work will be paid. You make that call based on your market, not in what Nexcloud, Magento, Wordpress or anyone else are doing. You do it on top of what you have and the people who support you. I build Chevereto to provide a nice way to store images for everybody and my focus is normal people and communities, not companies. If Nexcloud is doing great with their model then I'm happy for them but I do my stuff on my way of doing things and I'm happy being myself.

If you don't share that then I'm sorry, I won't change my mind. I want others to profit from Chevereto. Sorry for allowing others to get some money out of my share?

At the end of the day if you open source V4 community will take over your project fork it and you'll be f***d, alone with your non free plugins. I said all of this with no anger at all and i took the time to write this post because i think your app deserve to be known and fully opensourced ( at that does not mean you have to starve ). You shall really take a closer look at how nextcloud business model work. Love.

The ultimate goal is that the community should drive all the core development, that's the whole idea of Open Source if you didn't notice that already. It will be awesome if other vendors can join in and make this initiative a bigger thing, better for everybody of us. I will be extremely happy if such thing happens and I couldn't be happier if someday that truly happens and I can leverage all that load from my back. Of course, countless forks will be spawned and if these don't do illegal stuff (like re-licensing work from others) then I don't see the problem.

I see no issues on close source plugins.

Personally i hate when people show GPL.
GPL is just an illusion, real world doesnt and never will work like that. If you want a license for the real world, check BSD.

Back