• Welcome to the Chevereto user community!

Here users from all over the world gather around to learn the latest about Chevereto and contribute with ideas to improve the software.

Please keep in mind:

• 😌 This community is user driven. Be polite with other users.
    • 👉 Is required to purchase a Chevereto license to participate in this community (doesn't apply to Pre-sales).
    • 💸 Purchase a Pro Subscription to get access to active software support and faster ticket response times.

how to limit the number of daily downloads

Xeranos

Chevereto Member
Hello, how to limit the number of daily downloads because to date the download is unlimited
// EX: 5 photos per day

Hey there,

At this time there's no setting to limit those downloads.

Keep in mind that Chevereto doesn't serve those contents, so the actual limitation needs to be on the server otherwise it will just be a removal of the "download" button, and I presume you want to actually restrict access to save bandwidth, which won't be reflected by removing the button.

I think this is gonna be type of a custom work where u have to do it in the Database, i think that u have to make a extra column for limits on downloads in the user table or something else, and to "filter" it on that way, but as i have said, this is gonna be custom work and u have to done it by yourself.
The another way to limit downloads or uploads is by server-side and is more advanced, and is not goin to work like u imagine..

No, like I said earlier is more than that.

File delivery is direct, made by the server (or external storage server). Limit the download in the software layer is futile if isn't made in the server delivering those resources.

This is because the download action in Chevereto is just saving the contents of the URL. Is not like you download the original image or something different. You simply "save as" the image you are looking. If you want to limit downloads, you also need to limit the complete access to the resources.

Yes, but from what I see here (on the forum) chevereto is a good script, but the lack of annex development is a shame :(
But hey, it could be a function to integrate in future versions, right? like many others that would be useful but good from what I've seen it's not the priority which is a shame for the script: /

And then like 80% of script users of this kind the skills (for my part) are more than limited, but hey it's like that .....

then talk about DB to modify etc ...
talking to me in Chinese would come back to the same (like many) if people don't give more explanation
ex: how to do?
In any case thank you but I am not more advanced to date ...

Yes, but from what I see here (on the forum) chevereto is a good script, but the lack of annex development is a shame :(
But hey, it could be a function to integrate in future versions, right? like many others that would be useful but good from what I've seen it's not the priority which is a shame for the script: /

And then like 80% of script users of this kind the skills (for my part) are more than limited, but hey it's like that .....

I've never heard of an image host caring for download limits. The developer would be wasting his time implementing this.

If you want to implement something like this you would either need to make a custom plugin or get a system administrator to deny them on the web server itself. You can parse the web server logs, find how many times their IP has viewed an image, sort by timestamp and then either ban them on iptables or something similar.

@SimplyCorbett
And then I am not an image host, but a photographer who uses the script for a community (what the script provides for the base, isn't it?) So to keep a certain quality limiting the download helps a lot, doesn't it?

@SimplyCorbett
And then I am not an image host, but a photographer who uses the script for a community (what the script provides for the base, isn't it?) So to keep a certain quality limiting the download helps a lot, doesn't it?

So make a plugin that supports this or do what I suggested and ban any IP that downloads the image more then a few times by parsing your web server logs.

You can actually count how many times the image is downloaded globally that way too. So what you want is possible on the OS level.

then talk about DB to modify etc ...
talking to me in Chinese would come back to the same (like many) if people don't give more explanation
ex: how to do?
In any case thank you but I am not more advanced to date ...

Perhaps you think that this is just a counter and a permission enforcement, it is not. At least if you really want it to work, because to limit if the download button shows or not is ridiculously trivial. However, it will be also very easy to overpass it. Is just like the "disable right click", that while it blocks the context menu, it doesn't block the underlying direct URL access because the files are served directly.

Chevereto doesn't serve the images neither enforces access restrictions on top it, the system was designed for mass public storage and for the web, which on its own adds limitations that avoid to easily implement restrictions (for example, if this were a mobile application it could block access to the resources at application level without the server footprint).

In any case, for V4 I want to implement an image server, which will allow us to add this kind of enforcement policies (and many other neat stuff) as the ongoing needs for the software also includes a tight control on who has access to the uploaded content.

So make a plugin that supports this or do what I suggested and ban any IP that downloads the image more then a few times by parsing your web server logs.

You can actually count how many times the image is downloaded globally that way too. So what you want is possible on the OS level.
ok specifically insofar as I don't know anything about it and I'm not a magician and you haven't understood my problem, what do I do? How? 'Or' What ? with what ? and I put what?
don't forget that I know NOTHING in programming, php, html or other!

Perhaps you think that this is just a counter and a permission enforcement, it is not. At least if you really want it to work, because to limit if the download button shows or not is ridiculously trivial. However, it will be also very easy to overpass it. Is just like the "disable right click", that while it blocks the context menu, it doesn't block the underlying direct URL access because the files are served directly.

Chevereto doesn't serve the images neither enforces access restrictions on top it, the system was designed for mass public storage and for the web, which on its own adds limitations that avoid to easily implement restrictions (for example, if this were a mobile application it could block access to the resources at application level without the server footprint).

In any case, for V4 I want to implement an image server, which will allow us to add this kind of enforcement policies (and many other neat stuff) as the ongoing needs for the software also includes a tight control on who has access to the uploaded content.
Sorry for being stupid ... but I really didn't understand what you said!
The translation being random it has no tail or head: / with the best of will I just understood that Chevereto was designed for public storage but for the rest I am unable to understand anything

Back