• Welcome to the Chevereto user community!

Here users from all over the world gather around to learn the latest about Chevereto and contribute with ideas to improve the software.

Please keep in mind:

• 😌 This community is user driven. Be polite with other users.
    • 👉 Is required to purchase a Chevereto license to participate in this community (doesn't apply to Pre-sales).
    • 💸 Purchase a Pro Subscription to get access to active software support and faster ticket response times.
  • Chevereto Support CLST

Support response

Support checklist

How should Centos6 deploy Chevereto external storage FTP server environment?

Chevereto Member
I will use FTP on Chevereto as an external storage method to store pictures, so I purchased a virtual private server with a large hard disk, but I encountered some trouble, I do n’t know how to deploy an FTP server environment, please God give a deployment Plan, thank you!

I do n’t know how to deploy an FTP server environment, please God give a deployment Plan, thank you!
There are plenty support for cloud storage providers which are relatively easy to setup and cheaper to maintain. I'm not talking about S3 or Google Cloud, I'm talking about OpenStack and others.

If you still want to carry your original plan I suggest you to use SFTP and configure the server accordingly to Centos documentation/community.

If you don't know how to deploy something then maybe is not the best idea? There are plenty support for cloud storage providers which are relaitvely easy to setup and cheaper to maintain. I'm not talking about S3 or Google Cloud, I'm talking about OpenStack and others.

If you still want to carry your original plan I suggest you to use SFTP and configure the server accordingly to Centos documentation/community.
Is SFTP better than FTP?

Besides from the secure connection, the difference is that SFTP supports more commands, like the ones used to manipulate several files at the same time. For example, SFTP can delete multiple files in one command, with FTP you have to send a command for each file.

As for use it as external storage, SFTP is far superior to FTP.

Besides from the secure connection, the difference is that SFTP supports more commands, like the ones used to manipulate several files at the same time. For example, SFTP can delete multiple files in one command, with FTP you have to send a command for each file.

As for use it as external storage, SFTP is far superior to FTP.
Well, thank you for your advice!

I had to switch to FTP as SFTP login keeps failing when server was under load. Also FTP is much faster in terms of establishing connection and file transfer. For security, FTP access is limited to local network between the web server and storage server.

I had to switch to FTP as SFTP login keeps failing when server was under load. Also FTP is much faster in terms of establishing connection and file transfer. For security, FTP access is limited to local network between the web server and storage server.
Oh, look like you're a god, so can you teach me how to deploy such an environment and use it?

Oh, look like you're a god, so can you teach me how to deploy such an environment and use it?
Sure, but you need a powerful server and virtualise it with VMware or HyperV. Then we can create a local network with PFsense firewall. This is only required if you are site is big and has images in millions to handle.

I am going to experiment with a new setup soon. My linux servers can't handle the load of web traffic and constant FTP and backup connections. I am thinking of moving to Windows IIS as initial tests shows IIS handles better than Nginx under load.

Far as I know, the poor performance in SFTP setups is not because of the protocol, but OpenSSH. I've noticed this several times with dead slow SSH sessions when doing sshfs. In the paper, the SFTP protocol is better to deal with multiple operations and it works with packets (vs FTP which is text based) but it is limited by other software in the stack.

FTP and SFTP are both old solutions, and as I mentioned before, OpenStack suits better here. That is basically a self-hosted S3 so it is built for what Chevereto needs to do with external storage. It supports multiple file operations, uses all the available speed, secure, etc.

Far as I know, the poor performance in SFTP setups is not because of the protocol, but OpenSSH. I've noticed this several times with dead slow SSH sessions when doing sshfs. In the paper, the SFTP protocol is better to deal with multiple operations and it works with packets (vs FTP which is text based) but it is limited by other software in the stack.

FTP and SFTP are both old solutions, and as I mentioned before, OpenStack suits better here. That is basically a self-hosted S3 so it is built for what Chevereto needs to do with external storage. It supports multiple file operations, uses all the available speed, secure, etc.
OpenStack sounds high-end, I feel I can't deploy it.

OpenStack sounds high-end, I feel I can't deploy it.

I wanted to use openstack. But the configuration seems to be overly complicated resource intensive at least on Ubuntu server. Anyway I will give it a shot.

I also tested OpenStack.
The installation went almost smoothly.
But from my point of view the configuration is very complex.
I don't see through it myself, just wanted to test it. ;)

Back